McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my OEM ultralight wheels with slightly larger aftermarket 3-piece wheels (20x9 front, 21x12.5 rear). With the new wheels on, there is loud brake squeal under braking at around 60 mph and at parking lot speeds. With the OEM wheels on, there is not any brake squeal. The sound is more of a mid-frequency pitch rather than a high-frequency squeek. Sounds like an 18-wheeler braking. Any ideas what it could be? Wheel bearing, rotor out of round, etc etc? The wheels are larger and heavier than stock.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I replaced my OEM ultralight wheels with slightly larger aftermarket 3-piece wheels (20x9 front, 21x12.5 rear). With the new wheels on, there is loud brake squeal under braking at around 60 mph and at parking lot speeds. With the OEM wheels on, there is not any brake squeal. The sound is more of a mid-frequency pitch rather than a high-frequency squeek. Sounds like an 18-wheeler braking. Any ideas what it could be? Wheel bearing, rotor out of round, etc etc? The wheels are larger and heavier than stock.
It will interesting to hear the responses. I have stock wheels and I have serious consistent brake noise ( squealing and a loud kinda grind noise) that the dealer and many say is normal and I just have to deal with it. SMH

·
Registered
79 Posts
how many miles on the car? I hardly believe it to be the wheels albeit very coincidental. Could just be the ceramic brakes.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how many miles on the car? I hardly believe it to be the wheels albeit very coincidental. Could just be the ceramic brakes.
8200 miles on the car. I've taken the wheels on and off. No squeal with OEM wheels. Squeal with new wheels. Seems to be from L side. Squeal is lower pitched than a squeek that occurs with carbon ceramic brakes normally. If I put the left OEM wheel on and keep the right aftermarket wheel on, there is no squeal. The wheel manufacturer took the wheels apart, cleaned everything, and put them back together. Still squealing...

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. I dont have another aftermarket wheel to try. Using OEM lugs. Someone said they had this issue with lugs that were too long

·
Registered
600 Posts
Would wheel offset have anything to do with?
Seems odd

·
Registered
480 Posts
8200 miles on the car. I've taken the wheels on and off. No squeal with OEM wheels. Squeal with new wheels. Seems to be from L side. Squeal is lower pitched than a squeek that occurs with carbon ceramic brakes normally. If I put the left OEM wheel on and keep the right aftermarket wheel on, there is no squeal. The wheel manufacturer took the wheels apart, cleaned everything, and put them back together. Still squealing...
The new wheels are heavier and they are wearing bigger/neavier tyres right ? so the brakes will be braking a greater rotating mass (than with the stock set up) it must be the extra force needed by the brakes which somehow creates a squeal at certain critical points.....

I had a really bad squeal on stock set up and the answer was the Italian tune up, for the 720S this means some very aggressive braking from illegal speeds back to back to burn off all the slow speed build up of crap.....it worked and may work with your new wheel/tyre set up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Like I said on your FB post...no way a heavier wheel/tire combo is causing this.

If it truly only happens when that set of wheels/tires is on the car then there is likely something rubbing/touching due to fitment.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
680 Posts
This is a long shot, but I have seen it once on a different vehicle before.

Pull each lug bolt out on the offending wheel and check the end/tip for any signs of rubbing. It is possible the lug bolts are fractionally too long and are making contact with something inside the rotating surface.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a long shot, but I have seen it once on a different vehicle before.

Pull each lug bolt out on the offending wheel and check the end/tip for any signs of rubbing. It is possible the lug bolts are fractionally too long and are making contact with something inside the rotating surface.
+1 for this I have come across this a few times.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are the wheels lug holes conical or ball seat? If the seating on the wheel is conical you have to use a conical seat lug bolt. If those wheels have ballseat then you can use factory lug bolts. But even then, make sure lug bolts arent too long since often times aftermarket wheels have different lug hole thickness than O.E wheels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
OP have you tried very aggressive braking with the aftermarket wheels?

Given the rotational mass of the wheel set has changed beyond the OEM design, the slight variation in forces may be exposing your pads and rotors to a different thermal range. Think of it like breaking in a new pad/rotor set via a break-in procedure, which thermally conditions the materials to match the forces at play.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP have you tried very aggressive braking with the aftermarket wheels?

Given the rotational mass of the wheel set has changed beyond the OEM design, the slight variation in forces may be exposing your pads and rotors to a different thermal range. Think of it like breaking in a new pad/rotor set via a break-in procedure, which thermally conditions the materials to match the forces at play.
Haven't tried that yet. I was just driving conservatively. I want to make sure nothing is causing any damage first.

I will inspect the lugs and try everyone's suggestions.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts