McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anyone had a brake failure on 650's? Basically apply brakes and the car doesn't slow down?
Appreciate hearing if anyone else has had this experience with the 650's ceramic brakes?
Mambrae ... driving the best!

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
719 Posts
Only when the rotors are wet, and then it is just briefly for a second or two before the brakes start to bite as they should. The first time it ever happens to you it is frighting, but then you know to expect it because of the water and it's no bother.

Reactions: mikey k

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi
Has anyone had a brake failure on 650's? Basically apply brakes and the car doesn't slow down?
Appreciate hearing if anyone else has had this experience with the 650's ceramic brakes?
Mambrae ... driving the best!
Can you expand on your situation? Does it happen all the time or just when starting a drive? Are the rotors wet? On light braking to a stoplight, or hard braking at the end of a straightaway into a hairpin curve? How does the pedal feel -- is it firm, or mushy? What pads are you using and what are their condition?

Lots of things can make braking sketchy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every single time I get the car washed. No brakes. Scary as hell. I have to go slow, ride the brakes a little, takes a few "cycles" before they are back to normal. I've not had this problem with any other vehicle so I'm not sure there's a great solution here other than to be very aware. It does make me super nervous if this is potentially an issue in a rainstorm - has anyone had that happen???

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is usually an initial lack of response after a car wash (especially with pressure washers). I experienced the same a few times in my Range Rover, which is on regular steel brake discs. I've not experienced it with the 650s yet, but then I usually dry the brake discs after a wash by moving the car around a bit and using the brakes.

Driving in heavy rain, you will notice that the first time you brake there will be a momentary lack of response.

This is a compromise between brake cooling (making sure they last under track or extreme road driving conditions) and making sure they don't get too much water on them. Regular cars typically don't have dedicated brake cooling, while more performance oriented cars have good sized air ducts leading cold air (and water, when it rains) straight onto the brake discs.

Modern sports cars are so easy to drive that we expect them to behaving like a Toyota Camry on the roads and a dedicated race car on the track. They're close, but not quite there :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Every single time I get the car washed. No brakes. Scary as hell. I have to go slow, ride the brakes a little, takes a few "cycles" before they are back to normal. I've not had this problem with any other vehicle so I'm not sure there's a great solution here other than to be very aware. It does make me super nervous if this is potentially an issue in a rainstorm - has anyone had that happen???
I recognize the same effect with the Ferrari Scuderia, the Maserati Granturismo and also with the RR Sport, in my eyes completely normal. When I drove the 650S in the rain, it has best braked of all my cars.

I think rost12 has described the effect well.

Regarding mambrae's questions: much too inaccurate the description of the situation. No really good first post...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts