McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI, for anyone out there who is bleeding their own brakes after DE or track days, the Motive bleeder with the European adapter fits fine. I use the Black Label European Bleeder 0109 and it fits the screw cap no problems.

Instead of using the Motive pump, I empty the reservoir with a syringe, fill it with fresh fluid, then use the Motive adapter cap hooked up to a air compressor. I got the idea from fellow member on 6speed, and realized that the adapter cap for the Motive bleeder can hook up the same way.

Attachments

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My GT2's braking system could be pressurized to 22 lb ft, but for safety's sake, I pressurized only to 15. As long as the reservoir did not run dry, it only takes about 15 minutes total time, and did not require the wheels to come off.

The 12C's OEM brake system requires DOT 5.1 fluid.

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...and for anyone as careless as I am, the replacement brake bleeder caps from AP racing have a part number:

CP4970-133

They are about $2 each and are the OEM replacements.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
wtf are you guys talking about?!

Why play around manually on a 300k USD car? Give it to your damn dealer to check and fix anything that needs fixing :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ummm, double no. Motive works well and the Castro srf is much better than the eom fluid. When doing it myself, I can be sure that every single tiny bubble is flushed and new srf is used

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you guys take the wheels off to get to the bleed nipples on the calipers? Are you doing the typical order (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front)? I take it the fluid is not shared with the clutch or ABS?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you guys take the wheels off to get to the bleed nipples on the calipers? Are you doing the typical order (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front)? I take it the fluid is not shared with the clutch or ABS?
yes, typical order and I take off the wheels to get to the inner bleeders

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would suggest using the factory specified Pentosin DOT 5.1 fluid, MOTUL 5.1 spec fluid, or a DOT 4+ spec fluid. They are of a low viscosity spec to be compatible with the ABS and brake steer.

The MOTUL 5.1 and DOT4+ fluids have slightly higher Dry BP's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Make sure you are using Motul 5.1. Other than that - its an easy DIY.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While we're talking about DIY fluids - does anyone know how to change the oil in our cars?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. I think there is a green sticker/label that will direct you to the proper spot

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is a massively bad idea!!!! Motive specifically states not to have pressure over what 20 psi? (I have the same unit) You're damaging seals at your master and calipers if over. Worse with more pressure you're aeriating the fluid!!! This is actually a minor drawback of the system in the first place as you're already introducing air. Further, you cannot allow the reservior to go dry as you're putting air back in.

Also you should clarify the procedure. You use the RESERVIOR topped up in the bleeder to pressurize the system to 15psi or thereabouts. You then crack the bleeders at the RR, LR, RF, LF using a hose and bottle to ensure air doesn't go back in and keep a wet circuit.

FYI for fluid, I use Castrol SRF. I've also used Motul 660 on many cars. SRF has a higher wet boiling point and thus need not be changed as often. Some like motul more as it's cheap.

Just an FYI, for anyone out there who is bleeding their own brakes after DE or track days, the Motive bleeder with the European adapter fits fine. I use the Black Label European Bleeder 0109 and it fits the screw cap no problems.

Instead of using the Motive pump, I empty the reservoir with a syringe, fill it with fresh fluid, then use the Motive adapter cap hooked up to a air compressor. I got the idea from fellow member on 6speed, and realized that the adapter cap for the Motive bleeder can hook up the same way.

·
Owner
578 Posts
wtf are you guys talking about?!

Why play around manually on a 300k USD car? Give it to your damn dealer to check and fix anything that needs fixing :)
4X No! For many of us, servicing maintaining and repairing our cars is a big part of the fun and the hobby. Plus, when you DIY, you know it was done right.

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anyone know capacity? I'm going to swap to SRF when I do the oil change. I just did the BMC filters. Super easy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Read my signature, I'm not running a 12c and that didn't answer my question.

As to others, the 12c maintenance manual is the only thing I've found on here relating to same (good irrespective) but doesn't list the capacity, nor does my 570s manual or anywhere in this forum or internet. I usually get 1l but the dealer cited a quantity of 2. I'm assuming it's like Motul 660 that comes in 500ml bottles then? I've never used more than 1L and can usually do it with 500ml on other cars. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts