McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I certainly have an open mind... I think the next 'regular' car I buy will be a hybrid of some description.. not sure we're ready for full electric yet ... but I'd like to see these kinda things succeed..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Anyone out there going through the process of buying one?

I'm being told that the allocations have been lowered and now that virtually all dealers are getting premiums for the first wave. Anyone else being told that?

And the spec process should begin within 30 days I was told.

Put a deposit a bit ago and I am first on this dealer's list. But the whole above list crap really steams my beans. What's everyone out there seeing.

I'm mostly ambivalent to negative about BMW. But I figured this would be a nice one to have with the doors and all. I guess I justified it because of the doors. I'm just looking for reason not to walk away. It does look cool. Not sure if over list cool however.

Or say "intercourse it" and get a stingray for half the price.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I'm being told that the allocations have been lowered and now that virtually all dealers are getting premiums for the first wave. Anyone else being told that?

Put a deposit a bit ago and I am first on this dealer's list. But the whole above list crap really steams my beans. What's everyone out there seeing.

I'm mostly ambivalent to negative about BMW. But I figured this would be a nice one to have with the doors and all. I guess I justified it because of the doors. I'm just looking for reason not to walk away. It does look cool. Not sure if over list cool however.

Have you seen it in real life? I just saw it 2 days ago, it is a very nice looking car. I am on the top of my list too. The first one they get here is june/july. I have no idea when delivery officially starts, but you can not even officially BUY one until March as far as I am told.

I am putting in the order right now actually (just got the paperwork 1 hour ago). This way no delay on specing it and thus no delay on delivery. At least thats the plan.

Getting White with dark interior. There is a show car going around which is that spec and it is truely nice looking. The Carbon fiber they use is very different than McLaren's but still visible throughout the door. the whole look inside the car and the lines outside are truly nice. The doors are nice but honestly no longer my favorite (they were in the beginning too).

I would keep it. It is afterall going to be a sort of revolution for BMW. It's a nice to have and as close to a "concept" car as you can likely ever get.

LV is making a bespoke bag set for it too, fitting in the small boot and the back seat area.

Before you drop your order, if you have not seen it live yet, take a look at it. I am sure you will like it. I for sure did.

BTW, I am not seeing any extra cost for the first delivery. Base is 110k EUR, I took all extra options available right now for an extra 6k EUR. That's it. No idea about US prices.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Yes I saw one at the unveiling in manhattan. The nice part is that it will mostly stay the same as the concept. The spec time should be within 30 days in the us. As for the price, ~$150k+about $12k options+$10k wanker fee. Not including the Louis luggage. Thanks for that tip as now I can break it to the wife that I ordered one.

I'm leaning to keeping it. Your points are well taken.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, official specing is end of February everywhere. Orders are then taken by the factory.

·
Owner
893 Posts

I was looking at that car also. But, like you said: It's not that cool enough to pay over list price for. I'm sure it will look and handle nicely, but it's really no quicker than a standard V8 Mustang GT.
BTW ... I don't know if ftyl realizes that in America, our dealers are greedy and we will be forced to pay the sucker fee to get one at the beginning. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Poor you :/

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I actually doubt they will sell them over sticker in the US, the US sticker price seems the same as EU... It is already high for the US.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Funny how chris now uses the McLaren "Torque Fill" term even for this one :) So looking forward to my i8 :)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Funny how chris now uses the McLaren "Torque Fill" term even for this one :) So looking forward to my i8 :)
Yeah looks like a very cool piece of kit. They seem to have it well sorted also... Which he'd have shown the seating and luggage spaces. I know he's about driving but would be nice to know the full package.

Any update on when yours is arriving fab?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
This is a very interesting car. Far more interesting then a lot of so-called "Super" cars out there. Unfortunately, a lot of the original design was lost going from concept to production reality but that's totally understandable.

@Fabian, I'm hoping you'll post a little review about the car when you get it?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Will post a review, yes...

It should be here end of July. White with blue highlights.

@Mikey, the "luggage" space is a joke. The problem being that it is a rather small car, the 3-cyl engine is in the back and the electric motor in the front takes up quite a bit of kit also, so there is no space at all in the front, and the back space is, I would say, smaller than the P1's.

But, as he mentioned, you have the rear seats, which are not REALLY usable for much (will see if one of my kids fit, but even that will be tight I think). And there supposedly is a bespoke LV case-set that is specifically made for the back seats. But of course also normal luggage will fit there quite well.

Rear seats are similar to a 911 I guess. Probably a bit smaller, not sure though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
BTW, the one thing that made me buy the car (I think I mentioned this before), is actually something Chris said in the clip too... The BMW i8 looks _ALMOST_ identical to the EfficientDynamics CONCEPT they showed in 2009. This is unheard of, usually extreme concepts like the EfficientDynamics get either never produced, or hacked down into something unrecognizable. BMW had the guts to actually build the car virtually the same way, surely helped by the fact that it is a new futuristic line of vehicles and they are even somewhat distancing it from the main BMW brand... but still, guts... Has to be rewarded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts