McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I stick the same music collection on a stick and leave it in the USB slot...
Whilst that does have a side effect of muting my radio and Sat-nav, it does allows some musical entertainment that doesn't include a V8 and a way to use excessive amounts of petrol:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had the same issue so I plugged in and left it on the seat. I can confirm that the viimeo doesn't work regardless of the documentation. I actually got some sound out by deleting the Mac profile from the phone and them pairing the viimeo but it wasn't stable and no 2 way comm. so no control.

I switched to an old nano and left it in there. Worked well. Then I switched to a 3G touch that gives me everything the phone does for nothing on my pooled data for my business. So rhapsody and pandora works. No control from iris tho. But has to be wired.

Hope it helps. I've slowly learned to accept iris and learn to deal with it. I have most of my vortexbox(music server) on that iPod so all that music at my finger tips. Remember before we virtualized music? 8-tracks cassettes CDs? My kids think music comes from space. I showed them a vinyl Dark Side of The Moon. They had no clue what to do with it. So complaining about having only 50% of the human race's artistic output at our beck and call is like yelling "C'MON" at the microwave... But I digress.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just use a USB memory stick. And I don't understand the comment about muting anything else, the phone and nav audio both pause and mute the music, not vice-versa.

Oh, unless you changed the iTunes defaults for music file typpse (aac or whatever it is), you will need to use something like Sound Taxi to convert all your iTunes to mp3s, but that is pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I had the same issue so I plugged in and left it on the seat. I can confirm that the viimeo doesn't work regardless of the documentation. I actually got some sound out by deleting the Mac profile from the phone and them pairing the viimeo but it wasn't stable and no 2 way comm. so no control.

I switched to an old nano and left it in there. Worked well. Then I switched to a 3G touch that gives me everything the phone does for nothing on my pooled data for my business. So rhapsody and pandora works. No control from iris tho. But has to be wired.

Hope it helps. I've slowly learned to accept iris and learn to deal with it. I have most of my vortexbox(music server) on that iPod so all that music at my finger tips. Remember before we virtualized music? 8-tracks cassettes CDs? My kids think music comes from space. I showed them a vinyl Dark Side of The Moon. They had no clue what to do with it. So complaining about having only 50% of the human race's artistic output at our beck and call is like yelling "C'MON" at the microwave... But I digress.
Walt, can you set up tethering on your phone, and then the touch will automatically hook up to the phone when you get in the car? Hmm, if that works, it may make sense to permanent mount a touch, and then nav/traffic apps would work.

Not sure how I feel keeping my tether running full time...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Walt, can you set up tethering on your phone, and then the touch will automatically hook up to the phone when you get in the car? Hmm, if that works, it may make sense to permanent mount a touch, and then nav/traffic apps would work.

Not sure how I feel keeping my tether running full time...
Good idea. I would probably use an iPadi mini with 3G service. I think that exists. Then you could leverage your pooled data and access the world from the best car ever. ?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering (grandfathered) on Verizon. :) So I can just let the touch/mini ride on that...

I still get the 3G of the mini as it has better GPS antennae/reception.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering (grandfathered) on Verizon. :) So I can just let the touch/mini ride on that...

I still get the 3G of the mini as it has better GPS antennae/reception.

With well crafted Mclaren app on a mini you have a fully functional human interface. Extensible and expandable. Does anyone know if the 12C has a CANbus? I would imagine so. Then a mini could control and report on lots of parameters. Jeez, these things seem easy. Imagine all those track performance recording apps at your disposal. Shit... With a 3G mini or the tethering scheme we could have telemetry. Imagine an instructor watching some laps and then going into a classroom with you to debrief. This needs to go into a Radical. I bet it exists already. But not for the cost of a mini.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts