McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone be able to find a substitute for the current front rotors to match those of the ceramic type which are 394mm as well a matching 6 piston caliper to go with these larger rotors. Last but not least a master cylinder to match the above noted set up. Cheers....

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
A custom fabricated caliper bracket is all that's needed to add a larger diameter brake disc (along w/ a 6-pot caliper, if compelled). And, a different brake master cylinder if applicable (or re-do front/rear brake-bias?).

Question arises... why even do such? It'd presumably add noted unsprung-weight/rotational-mass for marginal (if-any) notable improvement in brake performance for the sake of cosmetics (filling out the space within the wheel spokes).

If anything, going w/ an OEM-sized after-market carbon-composite disc & applicable brake-pads from MovIt could offer better braking, weight reduction (relative to the stock setup & optional McLaren carbon-composite setup), and preserve the "steel" brake discs for posterity's sake. Or, opting for larger after-market carbon-composite discs w/ applicable brake-pads for use w/ the existing calipers (again, requiring a custom caliper bracket) or pairing that w/ 6-pot calipers w/ the custom bracket, is a viable option w/ MovIt.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information provided, the main reason for wanted to do this is mentioned in your second paragraph. Basically performance gains at a lesser cost then the OEM ceramic set up and esthetics. Cheers....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the OEM ceramics on my car. I checked with Brembo anyways out of curiousity. Try 35K US Dollars. No thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for the information provided, the main reason for wanted to do this is mentioned in your second paragraph. Basically performance gains at a lesser cost then the OEM ceramic set up and esthetics. Cheers....
I noticed on another post that you said its your first supercar,its good to be individual but wait a few weeks before you decide what to do as this car is the pinical of the current crop ,and you need to see what she can do first,get some seat time in and then decide !!:)
Just a thought as those of us that have had these sort of car for several years were still blown away by the performance

·
Registered
218 Posts
i have pretty much tried all the best sportscars there is and used to think Porsche had the best brakes. but i can tell that the MP4 has even better IMO. i don't know about constant hard track usage but my steels stop the car from 300km/h like it wasn't even trying. so easy, so smooth and in such a short distance. i don't think you would need any more than the stockers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knowledge is power, which is why I put this question out there. I greatly appreciate the information and feedback you guys have provided to me, keep up the great work. Cheers....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally I've found the iron brakes to be pretty inadequate if you're going to be doing more than about 15 minutes on the track at 7-8/10 or higher at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts