McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a problem or had a problem with the windshield cracking at the lower corners. My first windshield cracked at the lower drivers corner at 89 miles. Now at 180 miles the passenger lower side cracked. WTF???? Dealer is taking care of everything, but it is a bit disappointing to see this happening.

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
4,000 miles in under a year and no window cracks, and -- except for a burned out license plate light -- no other issues (other than IRIS being retarded :D ).

·
Registered
551 Posts
4800km and and no issues with the windshield. Had a stone chip in it but different issue.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As Boxer says it sounds like stress cracks by the windshield not being mounted properly,this is the first time in two years that I have heard of it happening on a 12c,but it happens all the time on other brands with this way of fixing:confused:

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

YES the factory installed windshield cracked at 80 miles. Dealer had a new windshield flown over from England. It was installed by a professional shop at Mclaren of Philadelphia. Now at 180 miles on odometer it cracked again, same spot, but on passengers side this time. :confused: A new windshield is being flown over for Friday install. I hope third times the charm on this one. If not I don't know what I'm going to do next....:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow..... Never heard of that one. Hope they get it sorted for you. This is not a great way to start a McLaren ownership

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have heard of this. There is a low priced car for sale on the net that apparently has had the same issue. Sorry about the bad luck.

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard of this. There is a low priced car for sale on the net that apparently has had the same issue. Sorry about the bad luck.
I bought mine new. It was one of the last 2012's built.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Thanks guys.

YES the factory installed windshield cracked at 80 miles. Dealer had a new windshield flown over from England. It was installed by a professional shop at Mclaren of Philadelphia. Now at 180 miles on odometer it cracked again, same spot, but on passengers side this time. :confused: A new windshield is being flown over for Friday install. I hope third times the charm on this one. If not I don't know what I'm going to do next....:mad::mad::mad:
Sometimes a 'nick' on the edge of the glass will develop into a full blown crack.
Also, there could be a bolt or other fastener butting up against the edge of the glass, and when it vibrates or expands = Crack !
Next step: Lemon Law !! :mad:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Having been involved in the distribution of HPL aka high pressure laminates in the past, we ran into issues involving stress cracks. For reference purpose, when cut outs are performed on these types of materials it is imperative that every corner be radius and completely smooth. In so doing it allows for any stresses that may occur over time to be distributed evenly, if not you will run into similar scenarios noted in these postings. Smooth and round is the key. Cheers......??

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the input.

Mclaren of Philly is doing a great job on keeping me informed and getting the third windshield in from the UK ASAP. We will see if third times it. If not I'm going to have to look at other options.
Rob

·
Registered
691 Posts
Having been involved in the distribution of HPL aka high pressure laminates in the past, we ran into issues involving stress cracks. For reference purpose, when cut outs are performed on these types of materials it is imperative that every corner be radius and completely smooth. In so doing it allows for any stresses that may occur over time to be distributed evenly, if not you will run into similar scenarios noted in these postings. Smooth and round is the key. Cheers......����
See Paragraph 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehavilland_Comet

Sort of the inverse, but the same point, I believe!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Of all the cars to suffer from a cracked windscreen, you'd have thought the 12c would be last on the list.

Doesn't the monocell carry all the loading?

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that's what I thought. McLaren says that a off set crash test at 35 mph did not even crack the windshield.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Interested to note that the screen has to come from the UK.

One of the original selling points was that every dealer would have every part in stock!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts