McLaren Life banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning a move out of Texas and have been trying to decide between San Diego and Seattle. One of the things that's important to me is being able to rip some canyons or just enjoy some scenic drives with the McLaren, something that is lacking here in Houston. Having a big car culture is also important as I like being able to go to car meets and meet other car enthusiast etc. Can anyone who lives in either of these cities comment on what your experience has been like when it comes to these things? I do know SD has almost perfect weather year around (which is a big plus) while it rains half of the year in Seattle (something which i wont like as I don't ever drive my exotics in the rain). Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences .

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
So I am planning a move out of Texas and have been trying to decide between San Diego and Seattle. One of the things that's important to me is being able to rip some canyons or just enjoy some scenic drives with the McLaren, something that is lacking here in Houston. Having a big car culture is also important as I like being able to go to car meets and meet other car enthusiast etc. Can anyone who lives in either of these cities comment on what your experience has been like when it comes to these things? I do know SD has almost perfect weather year around (which is a big plus) while it rains half of the year in Seattle (something which i wont like as I don't ever drive my exotics in the rain). Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences .
I'm in neither, but, do you prefer rain, sunshine, or fire ..?!

·
Owner
1,121 Posts
Are you serious about leaving TX for either one of those places? Either place you will be dodging criminals, homeless, drug addicts and policies that will favor all the previously named oppressed groups........ but you do have the ocean. :)

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
People in Seattle suck. They are 2nd rate rejects of SF that couldn't rate there and have a chip on their shoulder ever since. Drive a super car in Seattle and you'll see open hostility. Was one of the worst places I've visited in US, actually, the only place I came away with a very negative impression. I've stopped going there on business and told any one at work that tried to force me to go there on a business trip I'd do something unpleasant to their desk.

To all our lovely Seattle members, present company always excepted.

And as always, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2021 720S McLaren Orange
279 Posts
Seattle sucks but there are some cool roads I have driven in Washington. Especially Eastern Washington. But it rains a lot. SoCal/San Diego has lots of traffic & you have to drive a ways for the fun roads but there are lots to choose from. The weather is amazing. I'm in NorCal which is heaven for driving. I don't get into politics & just concentrate on the good aka cars & driving (plus lots of tracks in CA).

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
It doesn't matter where you go, there will be a complaint about the weather, or roads, or people, or some social issue you disagree with. In terms of SoCal, I don't think San Diego is the hot spot for roads, that's gonna be north of LA. Seattle is known for it's weather being poor, I can't imagine that even being an option. You'd be better off in my area (upstate SC, western NC, eastern TN, northern GA) and spend 75% less on real estate.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I agree with @EMF Audio (McMedics) about the roads in his area. I can’t speak on the cost of living since I am unfamiliar with it (my wife’s ex lives in Nashville and her property taxes are almost as high as mine in NJ), but to the OP, if you want some great roads, great schools, and close to NYC, look at Orange County, NY and Bergen County, NJ. Bear Mountain, Hawk’s Nest, High Point, Storm King, 9W, and the surrounding areas are amazing driving/riding roads. Plus, unlike SD, we get all 4 seasons here if that matters to you. For me, I could never live somewhere that it didn’t snow.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
Purely for driving roads and variety of scenery...ie you can be at the beach, in the desert and skiing in a mountain all in the same day just about anytime of the year...then NOTHING beats SOCAL. Malibu down to Carlsbad etc...

Of course that comes with the highest state income taxes in the country (13.3%), high cost of living and super crowded roads in many areas and of course the ‘other’ stuff. No comment. If you can deal with that...then CA is the easy winner. I couldn’t...but some can.

For a true driving enthusiast...it’s hard to live in the north east. I was born and raised there (Philly), HS in NJ, college in Boston and lived/worked in NYC...but only getting to drive for 5 months of the year isn’t my idea of fun...seasons or not. I’ll visit and I do...NJ property taxes or obscene! 3%+ LOL. That’s almost like having a mortgage forever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the Seattle area now, but I am a transplant from Texas about 20 years ago. I hate the winter here because it rains all the time (and the recent craziness in the City of Seattle), but late spring to early autumn is fantastic and you can drive top down a lot.

• Check out E[email protected] (Exotics At Redmond Town Center) to get a feel for other like minded super car owners. If you get lucky, you might be able to see Sir-Mix-Alot. :)
  • Strong car clubs (e.g. Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Alfa Romeo, Miata, etc) focused on track and autocross.
  • Three reasonably close race tracks (two in Seattle, one in Portland) and a bunch of smaller ones nearby and further away
  • A lot of cool logging roads you can drive around with your car club members
  • The drive through the national parks/forests/monuments around here is quite amazing, Mt Rainier. St. Helens, Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, Mt. Baker, to name a few.
- North cascade
- Olympic National Park -
- Mt. Rainer -
- St. Helens -

·
Registered
147 Posts
I live near Seattle. Yes, there are lots of really great roads in the mountains and between cities, and a few pretty okay racetracks. For a McLaren, Lamborghini, RR, Bentley and Ferrari, the dealers are pretty decent. There are several exotic related car groups that are full of good people, as well as a couple of garages with social aspects to keep cars at. From Mid October to maybe April / May, the weather sucks, but in the summer it is amazing, especially July / August / September, where the days are really long, it is not too hot, and it rarely rains. Starting about 5 years ago, though, we now have smoke as a normal weather event. Traffic in and around Seattle is pretty shitty, so you do need to drive 30 min to an hour or so to get away from it. Overall, I like it enough that I choose to live here, even though I could live anywhere in the world. Family, though, is part also why I live here.

I also recommend the Avants car club, which I think is now in Texas and California, but started in Seattle. It sponsors quite a few great events, garage tours, shows, track days, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts