McLaren Life banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I was NEVER caught out with the Corsas. And those weren't event the "new" ones I have been told are out now, as they had 2018 dates codes and were on the car brand new (CPO by dealer) when I bought it second hand....
yeah that is strange especially since you said you’d be driving with outside temps of as low as 50 which on back roads/mountain roads with trees shade etc should be slightly damp or at the very least cold and the Corsas certainly shouldn’t be performing as well as the PS4S at 90+ sure but at 50 on less than ideal roads no

I’m at a loss to explain it, be interesting to hear if anyone else has had similar

Out of curiosity have you driven in the wet at all and can you compare how the 2 are with wet roads?

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Please expand on your impressions please
PS4S is a very comfortable tire. Little bumps in the road are smoothed out, you can just cruise on them and it feels like any other car. Responsive but not darty. Below 50 degrees they can feel a little off till they warm up some, 32 degrees you can drive on them just not aggressively till they warm up to 63 degrees. Fantastic in wet, in my area I consider it to be an all season tire. Between 63-80 degrees they have good traction, past 80 they have great traction till 180 degrees then they get slick. Operating pressure they want to be around 29 front and 30 rear on track. For street you can leave the stock 29 front 32 year. I've gotten 24k miles out of a set of tires with mostly street driving and maybe 30 autocross events.

Supercar 3R's on the other hand are very precise and you feel everything in the road, and I mean everything. They are pretty darty too. Below 80 degrees you won't have traction with any amount of aggressive driving. Below 50 degrees they will literally break apart in chunks if you drive on them and must be stored at a warm temperature. Between 80 and 100 degrees they're pretty good about traction and 100+ they're scare yourself grippy. I haven't played around a lot with pressures yet but stick around what I've done on PS4S's. I haven't found the limits of Supercar 3R's yet to know how they act, but PS4S's are predictable when they're at the line of limitations. I haven't measured wear after about 600 miles and 3 or 4 autocross events but I suspect they won't make it to 2k miles. I haven't experience them on a wet surface but based on what I know, I don't want to.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
480 Posts
Out of curiosity have you driven in the wet at all and can you compare how the 2 are with wet roads?
I'm not a fan of the wet as it usually means lower temps/baro pressure which are very painful with all the metal in my body... So no. And I wouldn't try to drive in earnest in the wet with a UHP tire.... Have you used the Supercar 3 (NOT 3R)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not a fan of the wet as it usually means lower temps/baro pressure which are very painful with all the metal in my body... So no. And I wouldn't try to drive in earnest in the wet with a UHP tire.... Have you used the Supercar 3 (NOT 3R)?
i havent sorry

But I think you hit the nail on the head when you said earlier that “Tires are very subjective thing”

it’s easy to get the objective facts about these tyres, but which ones will be best for you will come down to your use and what you have as a priority

No 1 tyre can do everything perfectly so it’s just about what you are willing to compromise I guess

Eg for me and the way I use the car and roads I drive = weekends only and ideally only if not raining and mainly twisty mountain roads and back roads. The issue being even on a warm dry day where I live the mountain roads can in parts be damp due to the tree cover so I needed a tyre that would give me as much dry traction as possible whilst still being good in slippery damp conditions and also didn’t want them heat cycling out too quickly and my experience with Mich for the last 20yrs is they are best performance tyre in the wet and last the longest so the PS4S seemed the best choice as I was willing to give up the ultimate dry traction of the Corsas to get the above

And as I’ve said my experience with the PS4S have been similar to @EMF Audio (McMedics) though I haven’t done any Auto X with them but it’s good to know they can hold up to that abuse and still last

·
Registered
37 Posts
Folks, I've decided it's time for my 2014 Spider with OEM Pirelli's to get a new set of shoes/tires. After scouring the forum I'm convinced I want to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's but am having trouble sourcing PS4S both front and back tires that are 100% OEM spec. What I mean by 100% OEM spec is a conventional tire which matches the dimensions and spec's of the Pirelli's or a tire required for our cars. Fronts are no problem but It turns out the only rear PS4S tires available until November are what they call their Zero Pressure tires, essentially a run-flat tire. I am concerned from my experience with run-flats, the side walls are much stiffer and handling performance is a concern....granted I'm not a racer, or super aggressive driver, have tracked a couple of times but I just had bad feeling about Goodyear Eagle F1 run-flats on my 1998 C5 Corvette, granted that was 20 years ago and tire technology has improved. My Wife has a Mini-Cooper Countryman All-4S and it's a fun little sporty car to zoom about but the run-flats (Bridgestone Dueler H/P) on that are super noisy IMO on the highway. Would anyone have a concern running PS4S run-flat/Zero-pressure tires on the rear of their 12C?

As an additional FYI: I called the Michelin Tires Concierge hotline to talk to a supposed tire professional about my needs. The kid that answered didn't know what a McLaren was and asked me who made it. His responses to my questions were a mix of "you know it's like", and "we have limited details like that" to questions I asked, he kept having to put me on hold to ask someone else. Long story short though, it was interesting to me that the PS4S comes in several flavors that fit our car but would be different in subtle ways.
  1. MSPN 06890 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL BSW the is what I call original plain tire and out of stock till November weighs 30.5lbs 10/32nd tread depth
  2. MSPN 00380 - 305/30ZR20 (BSW) is their Zero Pressure tire I can get now, the Concierge acknowledged the MSPN is correct but couldn't explain why it wasn't on Michelin PS4S website nor give me more detailed specs. Googling tells me it weights 35lbs can't find tread depth
  3. MSPN 73134 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL FP BSW weighs 30.5lbs 8/32nd tread depth
  4. MSPN 23115 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL N0 BSW weighs 31.1lbs 9/32nd tread depth
  5. MSPN 08763 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL AO BSW weighs 30.5lbs 9/32nd tread depth
I asked the Concierge what's the differences between all the tires as there is little detail on the website. He said some MSPN's are for specific car manufacturers and may have slightly different sidewalls or technology built into the tire. I had read about one of the tires is available with acoustic foam technology in them and asked what is that; his reply was for electric cars the road noise was becoming a problem so they are adding foam in the tires to dampen the road noise heard in Tesla's. He thought one of the other MSPNs might be the new self seal sealing puncture technology which he said was coming out next month. It's crazy how unhelpful/informed the kid was....I'm ready to purchase the Zero Pressure tech tire just looking for a warm fuzzy from other owner's this is not a mistake or do I wait for November?

Thanks, Scott in Sunny FL

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Folks, I've decided it's time for my 2014 Spider with OEM Pirelli's to get a new set of shoes/tires. After scouring the forum I'm convinced I want to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's but am having trouble sourcing PS4S both front and back tires that are 100% OEM spec. What I mean by 100% OEM spec is a conventional tire which matches the dimensions and spec's of the Pirelli's or a tire required for our cars. Fronts are no problem but It turns out the only rear PS4S tires available until November are what they call their Zero Pressure tires, essentially a run-flat tire. I am concerned from my experience with run-flats, the side walls are much stiffer and handling performance is a concern....granted I'm not a racer, or super aggressive driver, have tracked a couple of times but I just had bad feeling about Goodyear Eagle F1 run-flats on my 1998 C5 Corvette, granted that was 20 years ago and tire technology has improved. My Wife has a Mini-Cooper Countryman All-4S and it's a fun little sporty car to zoom about but the run-flats (Bridgestone Dueler H/P) on that are super noisy IMO on the highway. Would anyone have a concern running PS4S run-flat/Zero-pressure tires on the rear of their 12C?

As an additional FYI: I called the Michelin Tires Concierge hotline to talk to a supposed tire professional about my needs. The kid that answered didn't know what a McLaren was and asked me who made it. His responses to my questions were a mix of "you know it's like", and "we have limited details like that" to questions I asked, he kept having to put me on hold to ask someone else. Long story short though, it was interesting to me that the PS4S comes in several flavors that fit our car but would be different in subtle ways.
  1. MSPN 06890 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL BSW the is what I call original plain tire and out of stock till November weighs 30.5lbs 10/32nd tread depth
  2. MSPN 00380 - 305/30ZR20 (BSW) is their Zero Pressure tire I can get now, the Concierge acknowledged the MSPN is correct but couldn't explain why it wasn't on Michelin PS4S website nor give me more detailed specs. Googling tells me it weights 35lbs can't find tread depth
  3. MSPN 73134 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL FP BSW weighs 30.5lbs 8/32nd tread depth
  4. MSPN 23115 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL N0 BSW weighs 31.1lbs 9/32nd tread depth
  5. MSPN 08763 - 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL AO BSW weighs 30.5lbs 9/32nd tread depth
I asked the Concierge what's the differences between all the tires as there is little detail on the website. He said some MSPN's are for specific car manufacturers and may have slightly different sidewalls or technology built into the tire. I had read about one of the tires is available with acoustic foam technology in them and asked what is that; his reply was for electric cars the road noise was becoming a problem so they are adding foam in the tires to dampen the road noise heard in Tesla's. He thought one of the other MSPNs might be the new self seal sealing puncture technology which he said was coming out next month. It's crazy how unhelpful/informed the kid was....I'm ready to purchase the Zero Pressure tech tire just looking for a warm fuzzy from other owner's this is not a mistake or do I wait for November?

Thanks, Scott in Sunny FL
Consider this: maybe the reason PS4S's are so much better than PZeros is (partially) because they aren't the same dimensions. The tread width on standard issue PS4S are wider, even though the tire size is the same. Foam in tire, Pirelli does it too, for road noise. 720's have that stock. Know what they also have with foam in tires? Foam breaking apart and causing balance problems. I wouldn't put runflats on a car not designed for runflats. The suspension compliance is different. Also consider tire weight.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Consider this: maybe the reason PS4S's are so much better than PZeros is (partially) because they aren't the same dimensions. The tread width on standard issue PS4S are wider, even though the tire size is the same. Foam in tire, Pirelli does it too, for road noise. 720's have that stock. Know what they also have with foam in tires? Foam breaking apart and causing balance problems. I wouldn't put runflats on a car not designed for runflats. The suspension compliance is different. Also consider tire weight.
Discount Tire have the glue to re-attach the foam. They had to remove the foam to repair my tyre.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts