McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
How big a problem is mixing manufacturers front and rear, on a car that is purely rear wheel drive and front wheel steering?

For AWD vehicles I can certainly see what it would be discouraged.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
How big a problem is mixing manufacturers front and rear, on a car that is purely rear wheel drive and front wheel steering?

For AWD vehicles I can certainly see what it would be discouraged.
For road use typically not an issue. For track use I wouldn’t as you want the compounds to be similar due to the extreme heat.

Of course it’s not recommended to mix brands even front to back, but isn’t a major issue as long as there is enough tread, and the same brand/tire is used across the same axle (mixing on an axle creates a friction difference side to side due to the different compounds, potentially affecting suspension components, ESP performance, etc). Typically you want the newer tires on the rear too.

I also wouldn’t mix different “types” - like all season up front vs max performance summer at the rear - creates a bigger differential in grip, especially in the wet (or when tires are cold).

Overall I’d still recommend changing all 4, but in a pinch (say availability and you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere), it’s fine to change 2 at a time. Having different compounds/types front and back can cause unpredictable situations in a slide as one axle ends up with potentially way more grip than the other.

As for the best tires for this thread, my R888’s (which are properly rated (Y)), have been really good performance wise - street and track. Though they do suck in the wet, and are pretty loud on the freeway.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 720S inbound and have ordered some HRE P104SC 21x12.5 and 20x9.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport4S 245x30x20 and 325x25x21 for everyday driving. I'll likely put something more sticky for warm weather and track days on the stock wheels. I'll post some feedback once I have some comparisons.

·
Registered
2015 650S Spider
11 Posts
Thanks for this great list, as I am particularly focused on the "2) for dry/warm areas" part of it,
I am intrigued by the " *Not clear this tire exists, just rumors so far." on the *New Pirelli Trofeo R (nPTR) and *New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (nMPSC2)

Should I presume that the tires exist today (2020) or, is it still unclear?

Best regards

So here is my stab at summarizing the 'collective' forum's findings for 'best' tires for mclarens under the following 4 different sets of conditions: 1) for cold/wet areas, 2) for dry/warm areas, 3) track use, and, 4) winter tires. The lists, roughly, are ordered from best to worst for the task.

2. Best warm/dry weather area and/or track use tires**:

1. *New Pirelli Trofeo R (nPTR)
  2. New Pirelli Corsa (nPC)
  3. *New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (nMPSC2)
  4. Toyo R888R
  5. Original Pirelli Trofeo R (oPTR)
  6. Toyo R888
  7. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (MPS4S)
  8. Bridgestone RE-71
  9. Original Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (MPSC2)
  10. Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS)
  11. *New Pirelli PZero (nP0)
  12. Original Pirelli Corsa (oPC)
  13. Original Pirelli PZeros (oP0)

*Not clear this tire exists, just rumors so far.
**Caveats include that we really haven't gotten feedback on the relative performance of a lot of the new tires that come out (so many of the new * tires are guesstimates on where they may fall in the hierarchy), some new tires are rumored and haven't yet been confirmed, and I suspect that my initial hierarchy above will change with time/feedback.

Working universe of tires
Original Pirelli PZeros (oP0) 2011-2016
*New Pirelli PZero (nP0) ~2017
Original Pirelli Corsa (oPC) 2011-2016
New Pirelli Corsa (nPC) ~2017
Original Pirelli Trofeo R (oPTR) 201?-2016
*New Pirelli Trofeo R (nPTR) 2017?
Pirelli Sotto Zero type 270 Series II 2011-2017?
Pirelli MC Sottozero 3 winter tires 2018?

Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) 2013-2016
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (MPS4S) 2017
Original Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (MPSC2) 2013-2016
*New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (nMPSC2) ~2017?

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for this great list, as I am particularly focused on the "2) for dry/warm areas" part of it,
I am intrigued by the " *Not clear this tire exists, just rumors so far." on the *New Pirelli Trofeo R (nPTR) and *New Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (nMPSC2)

Should I presume that the tires exist today (2020) or, is it still unclear?

Best regards
Yes, I think they were all updates from various reports here over time. Anything you get will be new versions. The only 'old' tire that might still be around is the MPSS that predated the MPS4S. Some people think there are some conditions where the MPSS are better than the MPS4S. I think with more extensive track use the MPS4S chunk more than the MPSS. In general and the general consensus is the MPS4S is better in most ways than the MPSS.

Anyway, I think all the others that were 'new' of the time that list was collided are now the default and only versions of the tire.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Have you revisited the dedicated track tire category? To start off the conversation, I would suggest:

michelin slick
pirelli slick
Hoosier A7
Hoosier R7
Continental Slick

kurt
i have not. If some more folks agree, happy to add. I guess I’ve heard that slicks tend to rip up suspensions in normal cars. Love to hear thoughts on any of that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For occasional track use, I have not had any nor heard of any issues. Yes, in theory, you will go through some parts quicker due to slicks; it would be inevitable. I know of several that are running Pirelli slicks on their Senna and 720s at and have not had any issues....yet.

But, I throw out the list in case any are interested.

Also, I have used all but the triple 8s from your other list and generally agree. I may rank differently based upon duration, grip levels over their life, but in general, your list is very good. Nice work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I still am looking for some tire advice, I should probably cross post on the tire thread I found. (That is THIS one)

So here is my conundrum:

My Use:
No rain driving, unless totally caught off guard.
No track days, except a rare one off, and it would not be tons of laps, so essentially no track days.
Spirited driving on back roads and main arteries.
Will drive it in spring and fall, down to Temperatures of probably 45f

I am thinking that the regular P zeros are fine. I definitely feel some tramlining with the corsas
Will I really notice the handling change?
I would welcome the lack of tramlining and extended tread life!

Then.............would the Michelins be a good choice (PSS4), as some people seem to prefer to the Pirellis. I have Pilot sports on 2 other cars and think they are great. But what is the best choice for a Mclaren 650s specifically?
looking forward to feedback and experience.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
If you don't plan on exceeding 168MPH, the Bridgestone RE-71R tires are great. Street use and track use, they last ages and work great in both scenarios. I use them on the track (pushing very hard) and they perform better than the Corsa's for me. They are the tire-of-choice for track days/SCCA racing due to their official "200 treadwear" rating (though they grip like they are 100TW). They are quiet on the street too. The only drawback I see with them is the max speed rating is 168MPH, but that usually isn't an issue 99.9% of the time. Funnily enough I might have to switch tires next month because I might be heading to Autoclub Speedway, where on the fastest part of the track I will possibly hit 170MPH+!

In the past month I've used them at Thunderhill, Laguna, Sonoma and Willow Springs - every time they performed very well, and in between I'm driving everywhere on the street on them. I do spirited drives in the hills/mountains all the time too.

There is potentially a new king in the the RE71R space - the Yokohama Advan A052, but I haven't tried them yet personally.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you don't plan on exceeding 168MPH, the Bridgestone RE-71R tires are great. Street use and track use, they last ages and work great in both scenarios. I use them on the track (pushing very hard) and they perform better than the Corsa's for me. They are the tire-of-choice for track days/SCCA racing due to their official "200 treadwear" rating (though they grip like they are 100TW). They are quiet on the street too. The only drawback I see with them is the max speed rating is 168MPH, but that usually isn't an issue 99.9% of the time. Funnily enough I might have to switch tires next month because I might be heading to Autoclub Speedway, where on the fastest part of the track I will possibly hit 170MPH+!

In the past month I've used them at Thunderhill, Laguna, Sonoma and Willow Springs - every time they performed very well, and in between I'm driving everywhere on the street on them. I do spirited drives in the hills/mountains all the time too.

There is potentially a new king in the the RE71R space - the Yokohama Advan A052, but I haven't tried them yet personally.

Thanks!

Z.
Good stuff but I occasionally surpass 170 here in the midwest....

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good stuff but I occasionally surpass 170 here in the midwest....
The new PZeros aren't bad from what I hear. They do not last as long as the PS4s, and the PS4s are probably a little better in the dry and decent bit better in the wet.

If you have current PZeros I would definitely use them up (assuming they are the new ones and not the old ones that came standard with the 650). Once they wear out, I'd get the PS4s. They are better overall and will likely last more than twice as long as the Zeros for the same money.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I think there is a RE71-R replacement which is RE71-RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think they are bringing the RE-71RS to the US.. at least haven't seen it, and heard that they had no plans. So could be a while before we see them here... Looks like you're in Australia? If so, then I think they have them there?

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
6 Posts
okay there hasn't been much happening in this thread for a while and ZombiePhysicist suggested I ask here as I haven't seen many notes about the new Pirelli Corsas (nPC as you called them)

I need to replace the old Corsas (2015 build!) on my 650S with something new and I was trying to decide between new Corsas or the Michelin PS4S.
The Corsas have done nearly 7500miles with the car (12,000km here in Australia) and the fronts are quite worn on the inner edge as expected.
I've seen lots of posts in this forum about the PS4S lasting miles - I'm not worried about that as I tend to do 1500miles per year!
I was going to order PS4S today, but I've been informed that there's a 10-12wk wait on them :(
However, I am curious as to what people think of the new Corsas vs PS4S.

I'm looking for the best dry performance ('canyon carving' or hills / dry mountain) with occasional wet driving. However, there's not much rain here in dry South Australia! I think the weather is similar to Arizona or maybe California?

I already have Trofeo Rs on my track day wheels so I'm all set for circuit stuff.

I've had RE11R and RE71R on my other cars and Bridgestone is even harder to get here.

So it's a decision about new Corsa or Cup2 for me at the moment.
I do wonder if Cup2 will be too similar to Trofeo for my street / 'winding road' application.

What experience do people have with the newer Corsas?

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
480 Posts
However, I am curious as to what people think of the new Corsas vs PS4S.
I didn't like the "numb" feeling of my Corsa's and changed to the PS4S's largely based on other's experiences here... I am HUGELY disappointed with them! Aside from all the noises they make, the car has now had "moments" of complete loss of traction at a moments notice on several occasions! Even when FULLY warmed up. They DO NOT handle quick inputs or left/right transitions at speed/hard inputs and the fronts understeer and wash out horribly.... This is at ANY reasonable pressure. I regret getting them every time I drive the car now! GAH!

I am actively researching replacements now... I thought I wanted the GY F1 SC3's but am reading they don't do well without SERIOUS heat in them and forget about getting that when the temps are below 50F. I drive the car hard in temps as low as 40F after getting some heat in the tires (The Corsa's were fine, just horribly numb)... I am now leaning toward the CUP 2 Connect 240 but I know they will heat cycle eventually, long before they wear out...

41 - 60 of 88 Posts