McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Any reason to not spec the PZero Corsa for street use here in Arizona ? It won't be a daily driver so on rare rainy days the McLaren will stay in the garage. I know there is less tread than the standard PZero but anticipate only about 2500 mi per year so think they'll last sufficiently long.
Yes there is a very good reason not to spec corsas - you could be using trofeos or Cup2s ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yes there is a very good reason not to spec corsas - you could be using trofeos or Cup2s ;)
Lol well it's PZero standard versus Corsa on a new car. Sadly no option for Michelin, which I've always preferred over Pirelli.

The latest Corsa is apparently improved in some ways...

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lol well it's PZero standard versus Corsa on a new car. Sadly no option for Michelin, which I've always preferred over Pirelli.

The latest Corsa is apparently improved in some ways...
Yea in Arizona I would take the corsa and when they run out either the trofeo or cup2s. Nice dry and generally warm there. I’m jealous!

·
2016 650S Spider
183 Posts
I went for the Cup2's on my 650S spider at my first annual service a couple of months ago. The original Corsa's still had a little life left after about 10.5k miles, including 5 beginning-level track days, but I decided to get the tire replacement done at the service, particularly with the rainy season - such as it is here - coming up.

The salient difference immediately obvious, and confirmed by subsequent driving is the dramatic reduction in tramlining. At first I thought I had just not encountered the right road conditions to expose this, but try as I might, deliberately steering across road ridges, etc., I could not get any serious tramlining out of the Cup2's. I would love to know what it is about the design of these two otherwise similar, high-performance tire types that makes such a difference in this area. Admittedly, the Corsa tramlining is generally little more than a irritation, but it would occasionally manifest in the form of an abrupt snap to the left or right just when I was dealing with a driving situation with limited clearance to the side of the car.

Road noise, ride, etc. seem little different. I did notice that the Corsa's seemed to get significantly harsher as the tread depth got low.

So far, I'm very happy with the handling of the car on the Cup2s, but will reserve judgement until I get a chance to do some more aggressive driving, particularly on the track.

Which brings me to my question: while tire performance (adhesion, etc.) is obviously of primary importance here, how does tread life compare for the top tires? E.g., for Cup2s vs. the new Corsas (and vs. the older Corsas)?

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I dont know about the new Corsas but the old ones were garbage and would wear out fast. The PSS would easily last 20,000 miles even with a few track days thrown in. Not sure how the cup2's fare, but I would suspect they would last a lot longer than the old Corsas.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yea in Arizona I would take the corsa and when they run out either the trofeo or cup2s. Nice dry and generally warm there. I’m jealous!
That's what I'm thinking.

It's great October through May, but the very long summers are brutal ! Luckily the roads are generally good and there is plenty of 'open space' between the populated areas :D

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Which brings me to my question: while tire performance (adhesion, etc.) is obviously of primary importance here, how does tread life compare for the top tires? E.g., for Cup2s vs. the new Corsas (and vs. the older Corsas)?
Chances are you were heat cycle the cup2s before running out of thread, at least if you track the car regularly. They will last far longer than the old corsas (my fronts on corsas were shot in 4-5k miles and 3 trackdays, cup2 front shoulders are getting a bit worn but overall tyres ok after the same road mileage but 2x the trackdays). Not sure on the new corsas though.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Looks like a new winter tire.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/27/mclarens-official-winter-tire-package-makes-your-570s-a-weather/

Pirelli to offer a set of MC Sottozero 3 winter tires designed specifically for the Sports Series McLarens, which includes the whole 570 line in the U.S., as well as the 540C overseas. The tires come pre-mounted to a set of forged, gun-metal finish wheels for quick installation. The company says they provide substantially better performance than normal tires at temperatures under 44 degrees Fahrenheit, and the chunkier tread is better for displacing water and snow.
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/16421/yes-drive-your-mclaren-in-snow-with-pirelli-winter-tires
In comparison to the summer tires, the winter shoes are estimated to reduce braking distance by 10 percent in wet conditions and up to 20 percent on snowy roads.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Road noise, ride, etc. seem little different. I did notice that the Corsa's seemed to get significantly harsher as the tread depth got low.

So far, I'm very happy with the handling of the car on the Cup2s, but will reserve judgement until I get a chance to do some more aggressive driving, particularly on the track.
Are people still seeing problems with Cup2's damaging the fender liners? I seem to remember reading that if you track the car, this is an issue.

I run OE sized wheels and tires, with spacers at the rear (so i'm guessing this would mitigate rubbing at the back). but my fronts don't have any spacers.

I don't plan on tracking the car. Would rubbing problem ever show up on the road?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Are people still seeing problems with Cup2's damaging the fender liners? I seem to remember reading that if you track the car, this is an issue.

I run OE sized wheels and tires, with spacers at the rear (so i'm guessing this would mitigate rubbing at the back). but my fronts don't have any spacers.

I don't plan on tracking the car. Would rubbing problem ever show up on the road?
Depends on the road and speed you're driving at! >:)

In general though, I'd say with rear spacers you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Zombie, i agree with you in regard to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (MPS4S) 2017, i have them on my MP4.
i would sum it up as dry grip maybe being a slight bit better, nothing remarkable. Wet grip is really amazing improvement. i feel the drip grip loses its grip more even though it lasts a tiny bi more. i also like how much more water seems to be channels out on the side when driving in wet. all around these tires feel great, they also seem to turn more easily but i feel that is normal with any new tire you put on your auto.
the biggist problem i fear in regard to all tires on McLarens is the inside wear, it is not something you can see without getting under your McLaren, McLaren Service says this happens on all McLarens. i had plenty of tread left but the inside was showing the core of the tire, SCARY. i was told this is because of how McLaren designed the steering which of course is great. I was also told if you only drive your McLaren on turns you will not encounter the inner wear problem, only those who do a lot of feeway driving with experience this problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there,

This is my first post. I’m pleased to join the community here.

I’m considering to replace the original Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on my 650S Spider.
I really like Michelin tires in general so I call them and talked to a reliable expert there.
The guy was really helpful and shared his conclusion:

He came to the conclusion that none of Cup 2 are matching our McLaren constraints for few reasons :
Speed index : we can’t consider 91Y or 103Y speed index as them can’t reach speed over 300Kph, we have to choose 91(Y) and 103(Y) speed index only.
Manufacturer index: he strongly recommended to avoid mixing manufacturer indexes front/rear.

With that said, there is no Cup 2 tires in there catalog matching the McLaren speed index (>300Kph) AND a consistent manufacturer index.

From front, the only solution is 235/35/ZR19 91(Y) - ref 876381. Index is XL (extra load) and YSL (wheel protection) but no manufacturer specific. For read, they have 305/30/ZR20 103(Y) YSL/XL but they all are manufacturer specific, Porsche / Ferrari (NO / K1) so they don’t match the front index.

What’s your, opinion / recommendation on this please?

·
Registered
18 Posts
For information, here are product references for Michel 4Q for the 650S communicated by Michel expert.

Front : 235/35 ZR 19 91 (Y) PILOT SPORT 4S EXTRA LOAD ref: 762575
Rear : 305/30 ZR 20 103 (Y) PILOT SPORT 4S EXTRA LOAD ref: 130568

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi there,

This is my first post. I’m pleased to join the community here.

I’m considering to replace the original Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on my 650S Spider.
I really like Michelin tires in general so I call them and talked to a reliable expert there.
The guy was really helpful and shared his conclusion:

He came to the conclusion that none of Cup 2 are matching our McLaren constraints for few reasons :
Speed index : we can’t consider 91Y or 103Y speed index as them can’t reach speed over 300Kph, we have to choose 91(Y) and 103(Y) speed index only[/B].
Manufacturer index: he strongly recommended to avoid mixing manufacturer indexes front/rear.

With that said, there is no Cup 2 tires in there catalog matching the McLaren speed index (>300Kph) AND a consistent manufacturer index.

From front, the only solution is 235/35/ZR19 91(Y) - ref 876381. Index is XL (extra load) and YSL (wheel protection) but no manufacturer specific. For read, they have 305/30/ZR20 103(Y) YSL/XL but they all are manufacturer specific, Porsche / Ferrari (NO / K1) so they don’t match the front index.

What’s your, opinion / recommendation on this please?
Wow, what a great first post! Welcome to the forum!

As for the load question, this is news to me, and I'm glad you brought it up, as these cars do get up to some pretty high speeds.

I'm confused by the part I highlighted in bold underline. What is the difference between: 91Y or 103Y and 91(Y) and 103(Y)? Does the parenthetical around the letter "Y" designate a different speed rating?!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you Zombie for your kind welcome.
Yes, there is a different between Y and (Y) speed rating.
Without coma, it means «*up to 300kmph*», with «*up to 300kmph an above*»....
My Michelin contact told me that even if you don’t run your car above 300kmph, you may have serious insurance coverage limitation if you have an accident with a speed rating lower than the vehicle vmax.

Here is the speed rating you can find on various manufacturer web sites:
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...-tires/tire-speed-ratings-and-tread-life.page

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Hi there,
Speed index : we can’t consider 91Y or 103Y speed index as them can’t reach speed over 300Kph, we have to choose 91(Y) and 103(Y) speed index only.

Sorry but are you sure about this? you are going to have to look pretty hard to find a Michelin Cup2 tyre that isn't (Y) speed rated to be honest.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Thank you Zombie for your kind welcome.
Yes, there is a different between Y and (Y) speed rating.
Without coma, it means «*up to 300kmph*», with «*up to 300kmph an above*»....
My Michelin contact told me that even if you don’t run your car above 300kmph, you may have serious insurance coverage limitation if you have an accident with a speed rating lower than the vehicle vmax.

Here is the speed rating you can find on various manufacturer web sites:
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...-tires/tire-speed-ratings-and-tread-life.page
Well that's some serious news! Do you happen to have a photo of the tire sidewall itself? Do they show up as (Y) on the sidewall.

I just checked mine and they seem to be just Y and not (Y), which kind of sucks, but not sure how to expect it to look on the sidewalls. It's probably too small int the attachment but it shows up as:

"235/35 ZR19 (91Y)" and "305/30ZR H20 (103Y)"

So should the side walls instead say:

"235/35 ZR19 (91(Y))" and "305/30ZR H20 (103(Y))"

Attachments

21 - 40 of 89 Posts