I think you have a nice bit of software, but I can tell you that NOBODY will buy it at the current asking price of 2000 EUROs or 2200 US Dollars based on the very limited functionality they would receive especially on a single VIN license.
I am providing a logical opposing position from the consumer perspective as I HOPE and BELIEVE we can find a mutual understanding as I am very interested in purchasing your product.
- A single VIN means it ONLY works on one car, EVER. your initial retail asking price of 2200.00 US Dollars is over priced for the market. I think you have missed understood the income level and budget level of the average current owner of an aging super car. I purchased my 12C for well under 100k. These cars "were" 250k+ when new, and people with much greater income purchased them new for that price. Those buyers have already played with and got tired of this 8 year old car, and they have already had three different newer super cars since! (the avg owner keeps a car approx two years). Basically your potential customer base is a guy (or girl) that cannot afford or cannot justify spending 2,200 dollars to scan their own ECU (remember its a SINGLE VIN LICENSE) and reset the oil change service interval once per year.
- Having to purchase an annual update is useless on a model like the 2011-2014 MP4-12C or 650S because we already know there will be no new functionality or updates for these cars. McLaren themselves have announced they are no longer updating or supporting refinements to the software for the P11 Super series cars (12C, 650S, 675LT, etc) - So why should I be required to pay you 600.00 per year to keep my SINGLE VIN software working? I know you will say to keep the software up to date, but there will be nothing to update unless your software has bugs that should have been fixed before hand anyway.
- You said after the 1st year the functionality would be reduced to the the first 5 items:
1- Read and erase DTCs - for 79.00 you can buy a "OBDLink MX+ Pro" to do this
2-Detailed display of DTCs - for 79.00 you can buy a "OBDLink MX+ Pro" to do this
3-Read freeze frame data (faults recorded by time ,mileage , speed , date , time etc )
- for 79.00 you can buy a "OBDLink MX+ Pro" to do this
4-Actuators (testing actuators such as window motors, lights, fans, injectors , seats etc )
5-Actual values (dynamic real-time values of systems / sensors)
- for 79.00 you can buy a "OBDLink MX+" Pro to do this
Basically I cannot see any value in buying the software tool for the remaining limited functionality if it can only be used for such a small 12 month window of time.
In short, every McLaren owner would spend LESS MONEY per year just taking their aging super car to the dealer and pay for an hour or two of diagnostic time when they need deeper access to the ECU. the Dealer charges 175.00 per hour in my area, so I could go to the dealer and pay for two hours of diagnostic time 12 DIFFERENT TIMES in one year before I equaled the 2200.00 investment you are asking for. (IF MY CAR IS SO BROKEN I NEED TO SEE THE DEALER ONCE PER MOTH FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR I PROMISE I'M GETTING RID OF THE CAR!!!!) And I could go to the dealer 3 DIFFERENT TIMES per year there after before I spent more than the 600.00 per year you are asking just to keep the software alive.
Please reconsider your pricing strategy, as I don't have access to your current sales volume, but I am willing to bet you have not sold any of this software yet at your current pricing strategy, and I'm sure you wont see any new customers anytime soon either. Basically the pricing just does not make economical sense.
Thank you again for working toward making a useful product that is also affordable and provides VALUE at the price point of the software.