1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have an Arai gp5w. Lightweight and good ventilation are the most important things for me. Was very tempted going the open face helmet route as they are just so much more comfortable but went for the gp5w in the end as it is just more flexible generally and will almost certainly be safer if/when one ends up needing it...

·
Owner
166 Posts
I have an Arai gp5w. Lightweight and good ventilation are the most important things for me. Was very tempted going the open face helmet route as they are just so much more comfortable but went for the gp5w in the end as it is just more flexible generally and will almost certainly be safer if/when one ends up needing it...
+1, and it's easy to change from peak to visor. I would never use an open face helmet, have seen a few bloody faces caused by airbags.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Have had Bell and Arai and definitely prefer Arai for quality. Have heard good things about Stilo and may try one. Get one that supports sliding HANS tethers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stilo carbon fiber are very light and their integrated radio with noise reducing ear muffs has got to be the most comfortable radio (or intercom if you have in car coach or a co pilot) setup. Definitely better than ear plug radios!

Whatever helmet you get, install the helmet ejection system. If you're getting a helmet for safety, helmet ejection is just more inexpensive insurance. They are mandated in some race series,

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the Arai GP6-RC Full Carbon for the awesome carbon weave structure, lightweight, safety and fitment that is used by most successful F1 drivers.:p

Also have the Stilo ST4 Carbon for its extreme lightness that eliminates the side bulkiness and more weight since I don't use the integrated accessory ports for track day events.;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rc33, which do you find yourself going to more often? The stilo or arai?

What do they weight. Seems most weigh 3-3.7lbs.

·
Administrator
2,721 Posts
I'm looking to get a helmet and was wondering what do you guys like for tracking your 12C's? What features?

Here's a pretty limited review that I found:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/crash-helmet-comparison-arai-gp-6s-simpson-bandit-bell-m-4-pyrotect-pro-airflow-sa

I kind of like the big visibility of the Bell, but it sounds heavy.

What features are important? Seems like weight, ventilation, anti-fog (if you even need a closed face helmet) are important.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Material is critical. Make sure you get a CF helmet. Massa would have died in Hungary if his helmet had been constructed out of any other material.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Boxer. It seems there are 2 kinds. Carbon helmets out of some carbon fiber composite, and pure carbon fiber helmets. The latter see to run about 4-5k. Where as the former run about 1k. Do you have any brands/models you like, think are a good deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Rc33, which do you find yourself going to more often? The stilo or arai?

What do they weight. Seems most weigh 3-3.7lbs.
I use the Arai GP-6RC more often because it is the 'better constructed' helmet;),

On the other hand, the Stilo ST4 Carbon is better looking.:D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks RC33. Sorry not sure what you mean by construction. Do you mean it's more comfortable, has better safety features, or just better fit/finish/feel?

Does anyone know what kind of stores/shops might have a bunch of these helmets so I can try them on? Seems the biggest issue to get right is fit and it's tough to judge in a vacuum...

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Thanks RC33. Sorry not sure what you mean by construction. Do you mean it's more comfortable, has better safety features, or just better fit/finish/feel?

Does anyone know what kind of stores/shops might have a bunch of these helmets so I can try them on? Seems the biggest issue to get right is fit and it's tough to judge in a vacuum...
I would simply measure your nugget and order online.

Leaning towards a Stilo wide - never had a closed helmet.

All helmets suck - but once your in it's the last thing on your mind.

·
Administrator
2,721 Posts
Thanks Boxer. It seems there are 2 kinds. Carbon helmets out of some carbon fiber composite, and pure carbon fiber helmets. The latter see to run about 4-5k. Where as the former run about 1k. Do you have any brands/models you like, think are a good deal?

Thanks!
No personal preference. Both Arai and Bell make very good helmets. Pure carbon fiber is best.

·
Registered
289 Posts

The Arai IMHO is a better constructed in terms of its excellent finishing externally and more so internally if you have the opportunity to remove all the head and cheek padding for inspection comparison. I utilize the helmets for racing Go-karts as well and most competitive karters use Arai for this reason.;) You may google up the construction of Arai helmets to assure yourself of its quality.:)

As Doug said, measure your head circumference and buy according to the fit. All helmets will feel snug and tight around the head and especially the cheek area .... but it will season up and fit to the unique contours of your head/face after a while and it will fit awesomely.:p

Most people have helmets that are too big for their heads and safety is seriously compromised over comfort.:rolleyes: I get my stuff online from Demon Tweeks UK.:D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks RC33. How is the visibility as between the two, wrt to peripheral vision, etc.? Comperable, or does one of the other give you a better view of your surroundings. I've borrowed some helmets in the past, and didn't like how much of my periphery was cut off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts