McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yas Marina South Circuit, Chris Goodwin driving, no better way of demonstrating what the car is capable of.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Best drive was the very first one after I picked up the car and went to pick my son up from school. He has no idea I bought the car and he has no idea it was his own dad coming down the driveway in a McLaren.

After I opened the door all his friends gathered around and recognized me and start yelling my son's name to come over as he was on the other side of the field.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Best drive was the very first one after I picked up the car and went to pick my son up from school. He has no idea I bought the car and he has no idea it was his own dad coming down the driveway in a McLaren.

After I opened the door all his friends gathered around and recognized me and start yelling my son's name to come over as he was on the other side of the field.
Very cool. You did well to keep that secret! I always tell the family as soon as I've ordered
a new car - and usually end up in the doghouse for a while. :D

What were the most memorable parts of the drive?
There were many highlights - but the best of all was discovering the Alpine Way through the Snowy Mountains (no snow in summer thankfully). It is one of Australia's highest roads and it was pretty much deserted. I can't wait to go back.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There were many highlights - but the best of all was discovering the Alpine Way through the Snowy Mountains (no snow in summer thankfully). It is one of Australia's highest roads and it was pretty much deserted. I can't wait to go back.
Can you open it up in these areas or do you still have to be very careful in terms of speed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can you open it up in these areas or do you still have to be very careful in terms of speed.
When it comes to speed, I'm always very careful. ;)

Highway patrols and cameras are common on freeways, less common but present on main arterials and seldom seen on backroads to nowhere.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
2000 Km:eek: where the McLaren dealership?

Mine was a 250 miles drive to Austin. Sadly the car broke down which made it more memorable!:(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Very cool. You did well to keep that secret! I always tell the family as soon as I've ordered
a new car - and usually end up in the doghouse for a while. :D
Not the first time I play tricks on my son. Last time I traded in my 997.1TT for a 997.2TTS, old one was midnight blue with grey interior and the new one is black on black. Very similar color outside on a cloudy day. When I went to pick my son up he walked by it like any other time without paying much attention to the car, open the door, sat down and then in about a minute he fought something wrong with the 'regular' Porsche, the color inside is different and he leans over to see the Turbo S badge.

Most of the time my wife is fine with me buying cars, she said cars are safer than other women :D

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it comes to speed, I'm always very careful. ;)

Highway patrols and cameras are common on freeways, less common but present on main arterials and seldom seen on backroads to nowhere.
A few Aussie friends have told me that despite plenty of wide open highways, speed limits are low and heavily enforced.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
What has been your most memorable drive in a 12C? Where was it and why was it great?

I will be adding mine next weekend.:D
Does this mean you have your 12c coming,or did i miss it and you already have her???

·
Registered
69 Posts
My best drive was last night!

Left a friends house on Palm Island at around midnight and took the long route home. Had 800 km on the clock so gave it some and....... :eek: In track mode no less. Maybe disturbed the peace a little bit, probably upset some residents.

Anyway the car is just ridiculously fast and this ISG system- really makes you feel your travelling at warp speed! I am curious to know what you guys think of the ISG.....

I think its too loud and I am not sure I fully understand how it works, is it the actual sound of the engine or electronic or what :confused:

Regardless - I am loving, and I mean loooooving this car. Can't get over how solid it feels when cornering even on normal suspension settings. I even washed and waxed it this morning myself, my girlfriends don't even get this treatment.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
When my car was just a couple of weeks old I drove it to West Texas and ran it in the Big Bend Open Rod Race. I came within 0.285 seconds of my target time (good enough for fifth), won best in show, peoples choice and got picked to drive Miss Fort Stockton in the Annual Parade. All loads of fun, did 1700 miles in five days and averaged mid-twenties gas mileage.
A close second tho' must be the three days at COTA in January, the car is just sensational on a track.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
My best drive was last night!

Left a friends house on Palm Island at around midnight and took the long route home. Had 800 km on the clock so gave it some and....... :eek: In track mode no less. Maybe disturbed the peace a little bit, probably upset some residents.

Anyway the car is just ridiculously fast and this ISG system- really makes you feel your travelling at warp speed! I am curious to know what you guys think of the ISG.....

I think its too loud and I am not sure I fully understand how it works, is it the actual sound of the engine or electronic or what :confused:

Regardless - I am loving, and I mean loooooving this car. Can't get over how solid it feels when cornering even on normal suspension settings. I even washed and waxed it this morning myself, my girlfriends don't even get this treatment.
If you look in the menu you can keep it in track but turn down the isg to different levels,it is actual induction sound and not electronic,but to many it is a bit false and loud,but you can choose your own level.Also
if you have any spare girlfriends i would be quite happy to wash and wax them for free:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts