McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to get all of our folks take on who are the best car reviewers out there, as most, IMO, are total crud.

I can think of two major criteria in determining, "best" but perhaps you have others. The two are:

(1) driving skill (S) with the range of 0-10:
0 being avg american driver; 5 being a decent driver that is amateurish but has some good track sense and feels cars well; to 10 reaching a stig'iness or F1 schumacher/senna level of skill.

(2) objectiveness (O). 0 being a complete cowardly biased schill. 5 being decently objective although some of the drivers own biases clearly will cloud some judgements. 10 being saintly and robotically detached objectivism.

So I'll start things with my vote for Chris Harris that Ill rate as S-7, and O-7.

Curious what others' favorites are?

UPDATE: Votes so far:
Chris Harris: S7O7, S8O7, S7O8
Raymond Baxter
Henry Catchpole: S7O8
Jason Plato
Richard Meaden

·
Registered
167 Posts
Chris Harris gets my vote. IMO S-8 , O-7

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
At the Moment I agree,CH gets it across S.7,0.8 ,it helps that he is British of course :)
Steve Sutcliff is not bad,but he did do a U turn after the first 12c review he did,which is unforgivable :p ie,he started mirroring other guys reviews on emotion,maybe he felt left out !!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Raymond Baxter.

His enthusiasm for the E type the day it was launched was infectious. He never needed to drive a car to know it's characteristics . Very clever bloke.

That day of its release Raymond Baxter did a black and white filmed report for the national news.......he was so enthusiastic and the car so beautiful I was hooked. I later purchased the Matchbox version after saving my spending money for four weeks.

On launch , iirc, in 1960 the Roadster cost £2067 , the same cost as an average house, so that makes the 12C a bargain. In 1960 an Aston cost over £4000.

On its release Enzo Ferrari called it "The most beautiful car ever made".

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Nice one Ric,shame its run on the M1 caused Britain and the rest of the world to implement speed limits on public roads,but it had to happen !!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Never realised that Andy.

I do remember that BMC Mini's would blow their head gaskets passing Leicester which was 100 miles from London at full speed.......about 70 or 80 mph.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Raymond Baxter.

His enthusiasm for the E type the day it was launched was infectious. He never needed to drive a car to know it's characteristics . Very clever bloke.

That day of its release Raymond Baxter did a black and white filmed report for the national news.......he was so enthusiastic and the car so beautiful I was hooked. I later purchased the Matchbox version after saving my spending money for four weeks.

On launch , iirc, in 1960 the Roadster cost £2067 , the same cost as an average house, so that makes the 12C a bargain. In 1960 an Aston cost over £4000.

On its release Enzo Ferrari called it "The most beautiful car ever made".
I always felt his real strength was reviewing the Vulcan at any kind of air show...small boy with jaw on the floor at that moment.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You guys are forgetting everyones favourite. Tiff! :eek:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Citylad gets my vote. S-10 , O-1
Oi, Cheeky

12C Aside , J Plato, tells it the way it is. Also C Goodwin done some great reviews on the 12C, The guy at Road and Track Wassam B done a nice review on the 12CSP....in Spain, I was with him on the evening. Nice guy...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi city. Can you give me Wassam and Goodwin's full names? I can't seem to google out their names to add them to the list.

I think after we get together a good list, we can a poll to get a rough ranking.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
hi city. Can you give me Wassam and Goodwin's full names? I can't seem to google out their names to add them to the list.

I think after we get together a good list, we can a poll to get a rough ranking.
Disappointed John !! You do not know the full name of Chris Goodwin,Mclarens chief test and development driver,shame on you you !! Go the the back of the class :eek:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disappointed John !! You do not know the full name of Chris Goodwin,Mclarens chief test and development driver,shame on you you !! Go the the back of the class :eek:
Putting the dunce cap on. Sadly it fits all to well through frequent use. Not sure he does reviews, outside of McLaren PR, does he?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Putting the dunce cap on. Sadly it fits all to well through frequent use. Not sure he does reviews, outside of McLaren <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym>, does he?
I will give you that John,more one to one is his bag,will tell you anything you want to know,except lap times ;):D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I always felt his real strength was reviewing the Vulcan at any kind of air show...small boy with jaw on the floor at that moment.

Mikey

A good golfing pal of mine was a Vulcan pilot . He was typical ex RAF....... never really settled into civilian life and flying civilians to Spain. Although he did acknowledge that the air hostess were a great innovation.

Seeing a Vulcan always made me wonder how such large aircraft managed to stay airborne at such low speeds. Special in so many ways.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Mikey

A good golfing pal of mine was a Vulcan pilot . He was typical ex RAF....... never really settled into civilian life and flying civilians to Spain. Although he did acknowledge that the air hostess were a great innovation.

Seeing a Vulcan always made me wonder how such large aircraft managed to stay airborne at such low speeds. Special in so many ways.
For me, was the power. And the noise... and the fact that I was small... not that that has changed mind.

Anyway, ill echo boxers thoughts on Henry carchpole... primarily cos I think he got the mac earlier than most. I do like monkey as well, although I think the drifting has gone a bit far these days, and occasionally comes up with things that I don't find... snap oversteer, eh!? Has gone up in my estimation recently...,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts