McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone ever have any issues with being followed driving their mp4?
Ive been followed in my 300zx int he past as well as the nsx and gtr. Ive always had to circle around my area and make sure no one is following me before heading home. I dont live by mansions or massive size houses over 5000sf (there are afew in the neighborhood at around 1mill to 1.5mill, but those are afew miles out. Im in a decent 4k sq ft house and no one in my neighbor has any car over 100k. I think my current gtr might be the closest. Lots of MB, Lexus, Audi and one tesla model s in my neighborhood. Houses are probably in the 600k-800k range averaging. In fact, someone found out there was another gtr in my development and drove around in their gtrs reving their engine and looking for me. I ended up meeting the guy one day from another gtr owner and he said it was him. But I find it scary for people to follow you home and to see where you live. I have kids so security is very important. Ive got cameras outdoor and security doors, but still dont sometimes feel safe in a nice car from being followed.
Thats one reason I hesitated to bring my kids to school in the gtr. They love it and while they were in private cathlic school, i didnt mind as much becuase it was small school. Now they are headed to public school, i will not be driving them ever in the gtr so I fell its right time to trade in gtr for the mp4. Just worried about being followed. ALso dont like other parents seeing what my kids may have or not have. SOme kids may also get jealous and not be too kind to my kids. They are going to 1st grade so its not as bad. But they grow up so quickly.

Ive also been pushed to race people on the streets while cruising on the highway. They would follow me and roll up right next to me and rev their engines. Im always tempted to floor it, but always look at the mirror and see my kids so i never comply.

Anyway, just wondering what others may have dealt with these kind of situations.
Thanks again,
lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add that when I was followed in my 300zx back in 1992, they actually crossed the state from ny to nj on the holland tunnel and folllowed me for 40 minutes. I went on and off the exit and they were still there. Scared the crap out of me. So I floored it and was pulled over. I still find that a blessing even though the cop nor the judge belived me (i got a speeding ticket for going over 80mph).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well from what I gather you live in the US of A so you must have a arsenal of weapons at your disposition or not. I wouldn't worry about especially with the camera's and alarm system, just make sure you have the latest technology concerning the alarm system. Cheers....??

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well from what I gather you live in the US of A so you must have a arsenal of weapons at your disposition or not. I wouldn't worry about especially with the camera's and alarm system, just make sure you have the latest technology concerning the alarm system. Cheers....����
Picking up my new Beretta M9A1 tonight! "...The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" -United States Bill of Rights, 1789-91. God bless America.

Reactions: napoli

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
If you live in a nice community, it will be these type of people that will be out of place,you cannot live your life by worrying about what people think .In the 12c its always thumbs ups,i could be wrong ,but I think the GTR will attract a different sort of jealousy.And true petrolheads tend to respect you for being different and not following the norm.As for anyone wanting to steal her ,once they see there is no door handle they will look for something more conventional ,like electic gates,why bother when the house next door doesn't have them!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
CalvinC. I've had a few people follow around and chase the car, usually just to get some video or a picture. Haven't been stalked all the way to home, but then again, it's tough to keep up with the car for any amount of time out of traffic.

You do get some weird lookyloos. Mostly gear heads (harmless). Chicks (depending on your marital status, harmless or domestic acrimony inducing). Random enthusiast (harmless). Racers (harmless). Everybody else (who knows).

That said, the Mac will get more attention than the GTR, and I can definitely see people stopping by your house and taking a look if you leave it parked out front and visible. But if you have a garage, I'd say that you should be fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy, I think coming from ny, I've been through it all. Wrong place at wrong times has made quite paranoid.
Jim, I agree with you. I'm Mir into AR, but have love my sig 1911.
Extrene, too much is never enough these days.
Jk, I don't mind the attention as long as its harmless. I just worry bout my family being stalked. Not just for the car, but from home invasions, kidnap pings...etc.

That being said, I know life is too short to worry. But just gotta Becareful.
Lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Never been followed home, that's a bit creepy. With smart phones all they have to do is run your plate and get all your info, so it may be a case of "let's see where this guy lives" (house size, or wondering if you're a celeb). Get lots of folks literally circling around when driving down the hwy. The folks that want to race I either just wave & give them a thumbs up, they usually wave back and drive on....others I point and laugh. Every fill up becomes a car show, especially when a door flips up. Funny thing about guns down here is that everyone not only assumes you have one on you at all times, they are shocked when you don't. Other parts of the country it's a safe assumption the masses are generally unarmed...except the criminals of course.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Big metro areas can be a problem. Cameras and alarms don't stop thieves today.:eek: Same with locking your car (I never do); do you think a piece of glass is going to prevent a thief from breaking into your car?? If they want it .... they will take it !
I try to be 'streetwise'. However I sleep good knowing, with my type of insurance coverage, I can just go out an repurchase a brand new MP4 easy as pie. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fasts ills, very good points you've mentioned. You're right regarding simply running your plates.
Lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Limey, agreed! I'm prob going with heaock. Thanks for the rec.
Lc

·
Owner
893 Posts
........As for anyone wanting to steal her ,once they see there is no door handle they will look for something more conventional ,like electic gates,why bother when the house next door doesn't have them!!!
Andy,
At some car shows that I've taken the 12C to ..... I had 10 year old kids show me that they know how to open this cars doors !! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Limey, unfortunately, no, sold my 2001 back in 2004. I had it for 7 months and sold it. Regrets ever since.
Lc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy,
At some car shows that I've taken the 12C to ..... I had 10 year old kids show me that they know how to open this cars doors !! :eek::eek:
Beginning to realise that im glad that the Police still have truncheons here,once they are armed its not going to be as safe as it was !!
Good job I have an ATTACK wife :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
Been followed home twice now, first by what I thought was road rage, but just someone who wanted to look at the car and second time, about two months ago, by the police.

They were also car nuts and wanted to look at the car (having first done a PNC check!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts