McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice appreciated.

I couldn’t get in the car using the fob after changing battery’s so I manually opened the passenger door. As I was doing this the gljust shattered and went everywhere.

I managed to manually open the bonnet and get the battery charger plugged in but hasn’t charged it at all.

Is the battery done and needs replacing? And how much will it cost along with a new window?.
Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had a similar experience(completely dead battery).
Our batteries will protect itself by going into a hybernative state if it goes too low. When you plug the charger in and the battery is this low, the charger will either not charge or go to error(red light).
I woke up my battery by removing the trunk liner to expose the battery. Then I hooked a conventional charger to the terminals directly. At the same time, I plugged in my ctek charger. I liken this to using charging paddles on a patient that has his heart stop. It sent an electrical impulse that woke the battery. I then disconnected the direct charging and continued the ctek for a day. My battery is 100% and works perfectly.
I thought my battery was a goner.

Reactions: ima2nr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to get mclaren assist out this morning who got it started. Then I had to drive it to McLaren to get a new window fitted for £1278 (incase anyone else has this issue in the future)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just curious if anyone has tried fitting a charging port that is accessible from outside the car, rather than having to go in through the frunk? I know the car is supposed to drop the windows when the battery gets low to avoid the broken window problem, but it seems like it happens a fair amount anyway. We used to have the same issue on my wife's Boxster, but at least her window gives enough to clear the door seal and let you in the car. Seems like it wouldn't be much of a challenge to extend the McLaren port into, say, a wheel well (behind the liner) where it's accessible but protected. Way cheaper than $2k for a new window...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Out of curiosity, with the battery dead, how did you open the passenger door? I know there's the hidden, manual key release under the driver's door, but there isn't one under the passenger. Did you happen to open it from the inside?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiosity, with the battery dead, how did you open the passenger door? I know there's the hidden, manual key release under the driver's door, but there isn't one under the passenger. Did you happen to open it from the inside?
I used the manual key which is inside the key fob. There’s a key hole under a bit of plastic on the passenger door which allows you to manually open the passenger door. That how I shattered the window. Once in the car I got the manual out of the glove box and discovered a very hard to get to bonnet release catch. Once I’d shattered the window I finally got the charger linked up But it did absolutely nothing. McLaren assist said once the battery is that low the McLaren charger can’t do anything. The window is fixed and the battery is fine now. Called McLaren and dropped it off yesterday and was finished But today. Pick up tomorrow so all good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interestingly, it sounds like McLaren uses the same position regardless of which side the steering wheel is one. There's a dead panel on the car's right (in the car, facing forward) and the key you describe on the left. For me, that's driver side rather than passenger. Makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
My battery went dead after sitting for 5 months without the charger connected. I had the windows down when I left, they were all the way up when I returned. Dead battery. I posted a detailed account of my trials somewhere in another thread on here. I'll try to find it and post a link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts