McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 12C about 5 months now with zero headache.... Today I did a hard acceleration in safe area from 70 to 140. When I let off I immediately noticed a slight burnt smell that was unlike anything i'd smelt before... I also thought maybe I saw smoke in rearview.... Otherwise all was good... When I got out I could hear a fan going in the left scoop i'd never heard before and I briefly noted the smell again, similar to burnt rubber and the stale air inside of a tire... When I came back out 2 hours later I could see lots of drips under the car and tasted one and it was antifreeze. sweet.... I drove car home and about 15 miles in "CLUTCH OVERHEAT" came on and limp mode ensued... Pulled over and waited for everything to cool though water/oil temps were normal... Finally drove home and heard fan and smelled same smell again... Thoughts? Nothing obvious to see looking down into engine bay.

·
Owner
370 Posts
If you have access to a lift, I would put it there and check things visually. You will have to remove the under tray. I would check the coolant hoses' clamps and any hoses around that area.
However, I don't know why the "clutch overheat" would come on if it is non-related to the transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even if you don't see any coolant level drop, personally I'd drop the large under body tray at the rear of the car off (in front of the 18" wide one at the very back). You will soon see if there's a coolant leak back there (the water pump is just above it and the core plugs in the pump often leak).

Then check the oil level in the gearbox as well .... the smell / overheat could be clutch slip. This is probably the most important of the 2 checks. Big bills in prospect if it's got a problem here so make sure its not running dry or got leaking seals.

After that just have a good look round for things leaking / rubbing / loose (including belts). There's often a clue to whats wrong if you take time to do this.

Don't panic, but don't just ignore it if you cant find the root cause. Many problems can be headed off if you identify and tackle them early.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Clutch Overheat will come on when you're low on coolant..... you most likely have a clamp leak or cracked coolant hose..... I replaced all my clamps and hoses, it's a common issue with these toys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts