McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in previous posts but does McLaren plan on having backup cameras installed in the upcoming models? Any idea why they did not install it in the first place?

:confused:

Thanks

·
Banned
111 Posts
Doubt you need a camera one of the easiest cars to maneuver the mirrors are huge, prob could mount one in the center of the number plate surround.

·
Registered
551 Posts
a camera would be usefull ! I already damaged the diffusor that the sensors didn't detect.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is a spot already pressed into the rear grille so I'd say they have it in mind. Some markets may soon require rear cameras for child safety.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
New IRIS hardware has a port for a rear-camera. So with the new system it should be easy to add. MSO is checking for my P1, and I am rather sure it will be no issue, which will likely mean that they will easily be able to add it to a 12C too.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Low parking curb? Hopefully just a scuff? Sorry to hear.
Was indeed a low curb, backing up looking left and right whether space was ok and kkkgrrr. The worst is I'm allways seeing just that stupid spot that disturbs me. Must look to have a camera if I go for a spider next year.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Was indeed a low curb, backing up looking left and right whether space was ok and kkkgrrr. The worst is I'm allways seeing just that stupid spot that disturbs me. Must look to have a camera if I go for a spider next year.
Aye sorry Belg. Is it the CF diffuser or the plastic one? If the plastic one, it's a) likely not to be noticeable, and b) something a detailer can help smooth out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
United States will require rear cameras for backing up. I believe that law is to go in to effect in 2014 or 2015. I would like one in the back of my P1.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
New IRIS hardware has a port for a rear-camera. So with the new system it should be easy to add. MSO is checking for my P1, and I am rather sure it will be no issue, which will likely mean that they will easily be able to add it to a 12C too.
They're checking for me as well. I told Marcus that a rear-camera was a must-have for me on the P1 even if it meant paying MSO to custom configure it. He said they were looking into it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I'd also like a camera on the front (my Ferrari FF has this and Mercedes & Audi now 'surround view' as well). Heck I'd like a cockpit camera and a forward-looking camera and a system that records them at all times to a large SSD so I don't need to park GoPros all around the car when I take it to the track. I'd love it to be integrated with something like Harry's Lap Timer (which is absolutely AWESOME and highly recommended!) does on my iPhone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They're checking for me as well. I told Marcus that a rear-camera was a must-have for me on the P1 even if it meant paying MSO to custom configure it. He said they were looking into it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I'd also like a camera on the front (my Ferrari FF has this and Mercedes & Audi now 'surround view' as well). Heck I'd like a cockpit camera and a forward-looking camera and a system that records them at all times to a large SSD so I don't need to park GoPros all around the car when I take it to the track. I'd love it to be integrated with something like Harry's Lap Timer (which is absolutely AWESOME and highly recommended!) does on my iPhone.
Mark please let us know if they will offer the camera options, I know I would be interested.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's a safety issue and sorely lacking in the 12C. I'd like to see a rear camera with integrated security and iphone control. Dangerous to be watching the rear camera at speed when a playful ZR1 is trying to pass, but no more than mirrors I guess.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mark, for the Track stuff i would go for one of the systems available. Getting one for my 12c and will add to the p1 too.

Search google for Racelogic VBox Pro. It can connect to the mclaren CAN via the ODB2 connector. Meaning next to 4 cameras, high resolution GPS and G force it will also record throttle, steering wheel, front and rear break pressure, temperature of oil and coolant, oil pressure and other things 20 times a second.

Should be easy for MSO to integrate, I will actually ask them for it today. Cameras rear, front bumpers, one inside driver-pov and one probably peddles. Direct connection to CAN so the ODB2 is not used....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
To be more exact, in the 12c it can record:

Signals available: Throttle Positon, RPM, Front Brake Pressure, Rear Brake Pressure, Wheel Speeds, Gear, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Steering Angle.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
ftyl --> this sounds similar to the "Track Pack" they were rumoured to be developing before the 12C launched. Please push them on it! I'll buy it on my P1 as well! Talk to Marcus!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
ftyl --> this sounds similar to the "Track Pack" they were rumoured to be developing before the 12C launched. Please push them on it! I'll buy it on my P1 as well! Talk to Marcus!
I'll keep you all posted...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Racelogic VBOX is a good system, have used one over a couple of years, but while the data analysis capabilities with Circuit Tools are excellent, the video quality is very poor and outdated.

I am currently looking into making the AIM Smartycam working with the 12C over the OBDII connector (CAN Converter) but AIM needs to make adjustments to the protocol to allow for a stable connection.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts