McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen schematics for the internal wiring for the low mount reverse lights/fog light? My reverse lights work but the fog light in back give an error. I have confirmed that there is power for each coming when switched appropriately, so it must be in the light system. The light is $900, it comes apart very easy and while mine showed no obvious signs of moisture, I can see how easily it could get wet as the glue is sub par. I am working my way through checking the components now but a schematic would really help.
Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
337 Posts
Freeze the six caps on the board and try the light, caps account for a significant amount of circuit failures. Other then that you could just reflow the board to see if that helps. I doubt anybody has a schematic. I can't see the chips on there but it would be interesting to know what interface does the light expose. Can you take some detailed pictures?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a can of air cleaner, turn it upside down and hose the board down to cool it down, specifically the capacitors. Then before it warms up try to see if it works.

I can't read the chip designation on there. Also look for cold solder joints.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it in the freezer, I have been bouncing between other projects but will test your theory ASAP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked it, still no fog lights, the outer backup lights still work. I want to get my car back together so I am probably going to reglue and put it back together. I am sure with some time it could be troubleshot but given rear fog lights are not that big of a deal I will likely pass.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
248 Posts
It's interesting you have this issue. Mine does the exact same thing. Backup lights work very well, but rear fog lights throw an error. Figured it was moisture from rain or car wash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts