McLaren Life banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried this on my way home from work and couldn't get it to pop, I am missing something
Oil temp needs to be above 200 at least and for me it works best under braking. Do the thing where you get above 4000rpm and then brake them downshift. Try to pre-cog the gear by holding the downshift paddle half way then clicking as soon you touch the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I tried this on my way home from work and couldn't get it to pop, I am missing something
car needs to be hot - tried it also today (did not work intentionally when I was driving slow before)

·
Registered
997 Posts
it might be a software issue on the aggressiveness, as my 2018 didn't pop nearly as much as my 2020 spider......but try it in sport or track power modes. Accelerate moderately and downshift while above 4k rpm, regardless if u want to go faster or slower, it should pop.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
it might be a software issue on the aggressiveness, as my 2018 didn't pop nearly as much as my 2020 spider......but try it in sport or track power modes. Accelerate moderately and downshift while above 4k rpm, regardless if u want to go faster or slower, it should pop.
Well I have the newest software on mine - just came back from service 2 months ago and and had all updates ... still I mostly only get this when driving a little more sporty - in regular or slower traffic like in a normal city traffic situation the car seems to never do that ...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well I have the newest software on mine - just came back from service 2 months ago and and had all updates ... still I mostly only get this when driving a little more sporty - in regular or slower traffic like in a normal city traffic situation the car seems to never do that ...
could also be louder to my ears since I have roof/rear window in different configurations.... I didn't really do anything scientific to back up my claim.....but yes regular driving it doesn't crackle and pop like aftermarket cars that do it just letting off the gas at 10mph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
couple of points;
Plenty of youtube videos showing the down gear pop and flame - see here
When I purchased my 570GT, the dealer advised they could tune for a more aggressive pop - unfortunately the lockdown beat me to it....
I also have it (feature) on my Holden SSV Redline's

·
Registered
203 Posts
couple of points;
When I purchased my 570GT, the dealer advised they could tune for a more aggressive pop - unfortunately the lockdown beat me to it....
My dealer told me this for my 570S as well. Offered to warranty as well. But would cost 8k so I didn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
140 Posts
First and foremost...it sounds the best in spiders with the top up but the rear window down...

Second...I don’t think there is any truly fool proof way to make it happen every time. I’ve had it pop on me and then I do the exact same thing and it won’t pop the next time. Shifting from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 it happens the most...only occasionally on the 3 to 2 downshift.

Sounds cool when it happens...loud but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure if it works on the regular exhaust or only with the sport exhaust? I have the sport exhaust and it does it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
couple of points;
well tuned cars can do this all the time and some seem to be even tuned to maximize the effect ... what’s more interesting is, if a regular 720s with or without sports exhaust also has visible flames with the pops or just the sound ...

This means a car that its totally stock, no changes on the ECU, no changed downpipes, cat delete or anything else ...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts