McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to 950 miles on the car now and being past the run in, can push it. I noticed in manual mode I can accelerate, take my foot off the gas and immediately down shift and I'll get at least one pipe to backfire. Sometimes both. I rarely if ever saw that on my 650 but I can pretty much do this every time with the 720. This is usually 4th gear down to 3rd but 5th down to 4th does it was well.

I am mostly driving in the daytime but it happened the other night and my rear view mirror lit up so I am pretty sure the backfire is producing a flame.

Do you have this behavior as well?

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is one of my favorite features of this car! The more you drive the car the more frequent the pops happen, love it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is the backfiring confirmed to spit flames ? I nearly never drove my car at night and never saw a non modified 720s spitting flames ? Someone maybe has video footage of the exhausts of a NOT modified 720s showing this ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the backfiring confirmed to spit flames ? I nearly never drove my car at night and never saw a non modified 720s spitting flames ? Someone maybe has video footage of the exhausts of a NOT modified 720s showing this ?
There are some YouTube video of stock car flames. McLaren’s own video with Bruno Senna from 3 years ago show this as well. My 650 was a flame monster. Have numerous videos of that. I’ll put a camera on mine and do a night drive as soon as the rain lets up in a few days.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There are some YouTube video of stock car flames. McLaren’s own video with Bruno Senna from 3 years ago show this as well. My 650 was a flame monster. Have numerous videos of that. I’ll put a camera on mine and do a night drive as soon as the rain lets up in a few days.
forget the videos on any manufacturers page to show the reality - these are extremely manipulated ... I know one of the guys doing these and it pays so nicely he has a company with offices and studios in EU, US and China ... ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
My spider pops on up and downshifts! It sounds amazing but I never thought to see if it spits flames, I will go pro it soon.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The 2020s sport exhaust sounds more aggressive than the 2018. Maybe it’s mapping. But yeah more aggressive pops.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 2020s sport exhaust sounds more aggressive than the 2018. Maybe it’s mapping. But yeah more aggressive pops.
It might be the fact of the new software update. Another forum member had stated in another thread that once they got their ecu and infotainment system updated they got much louder pops in sport mode with sports exhaust and smoother ride. I confirmed this too. I would almost never get pops, but after the update, literally every downshift when warm would be an incredibly loud crackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Owner
428 Posts
My 2018 does it - I have figured out the following.
1. You have to be above 4,000 rpms when making the downshift.
2. You have to be on ACTIVE mode.
3. You have to have had a burst of acceleration prior to the downshift.

The pop is very noticeable and loud...and if you do it at night, you will shoot up a good flame.

This is mainly due to the unused gas that is being dumped into the exhaust.

·
Registered
73 Posts

The pop is very noticeable and loud...and if you do it at night, you will shoot up a good flame.

I can add on to that too. The unused gas is a feature called 'ignition cut' which is active in powertrain-sport. This rarely happens, but I found that it will pop if you downshift after cruising (i.e. on highway from even 7th gear-6th) like I said, rare. On my part, the pops usually come most frequently when the rpms are dropping down to about 3100 RPM from 4th-3rd gear, and if you're lucky and copy the procedure, you might get a second pop downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. But for the most part, like you said, you need to accelerate first and reduce speed/RPMs down. With enough practice, it becomes muscle memory, almost like a game when driving this car. If you're downshifting during heavy braking, the pops get extremely loud and they sound like gunshots, so loud they'll make you jump in your seat if you're not used to it and you definitely feel them too.

·
Registered
389 Posts

I'm struggling with the pop procedure.

Yes I've heard it but it seems to be quite random, definitely when downshifting in sport mode during aggressive driving.

Not quite sure how you go from a burst of WOT full acceleration to being able to downshift since the revs climb so quickly that an immediate downshift would put you over the rev limit ?

Can one of you knowledgeable pop guys talk me through it very simply eg........ accelerate from 2000rpm in third gear at 80%+ throttle, when you get to 6000rpm change down (or do you close the throttle momentarily ?)..... - if this is it then surely I'm gonna be over the limiter ? 6000 in third is about 8250rpm in second gear...

Please talk me through your pop techniques :)

·
Owner
428 Posts
You will have to hold

Yes I've heard it but it seems to be quite random, definitely when downshifting in sport mode during aggressive driving.

Not quite sure how you go from a burst of WOT full acceleration to being able to downshift since the revs climb so quickly that an immediate downshift would put you over the rev limit ?

Can one of you knowledgeable pop guys talk me through it very simply eg........ accelerate from 2000rpm in third gear at 80%+ throttle, when you get to 6000rpm change down (or do you close the throttle momentarily ?)..... - if this is it then surely I'm gonna be over the limiter ? 6000 in third is about 8250rpm in second gear...

Basically you will have to accelerate and hold rpms over 4,000 rpms for a few seconds...then, when it becomes time to slow down, make sure that when you downshift, you are OVER 4k...you can be on the brakes, or not, but make sure you are definitely above 4,000 rpms when you hit the downshift.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The 4,000 rpm line is the sweet spot. I'm still exploring how to do it anytime I try so not completely worked out. But, I find it a little more often if the car's forward inertia is to 'slow down' versus speed up. That is, if the car engine was off, would the car's forward motion speed up or start to slow down? So, if you're heading downhill the car would want to speed up and the downshift will act like a hard brake on the engine push the rpm past 4500 and a pop is less likely. I find it easier to get it downshifting just at the crest of a small slope in the road. So, you're in 2nd at 3500 - 4000 rpm as you start up the slope, you up shift to 3rd, your rpm drops, and you pump the gas once to push it just past 4,000, take your foot off the gas and immediately downshift. The downshift shouldn't go past 4200 because the car's balance is sort of neutral if you will. The system doesn't need the fuel you just pushed in there so it expels it and you get the pop.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You will have to hold

Basically you will have to accelerate and hold rpms over 4,000 rpms for a few seconds...then, when it becomes time to slow down, make sure that when you downshift, you are OVER 4k...you can be on the brakes, or not, but make sure you are definitely above 4,000 rpms when you hit the downshift.
I tried this on my way home from work and couldn't get it to pop, I am missing something

1 - 20 of 32 Posts