McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 570s! No time for details now, but thanks McLaren Houston. While there, saw my old 12C :( (sorry for the repeat pics, when I try to remove the supplemental pic, site tries to remove both pics ???)
538D8D4A-11C0-4767-B8D5-43CDC7564AD4.jpeg
538D8D4A-11C0-4767-B8D5-43CDC7564AD4.jpeg
0ADBC852-4B1F-4515-9C34-328483864EAB.jpeg

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Bocomac, I can't give a thorough comparison yet, since I just got the 570S today. But here is a summary of the 12C. I had an early model. The car was scary fast; I went 200 mph couple of times, certainly capable. Handled great, looked great. I never abused the car; yes I drove it fast, but only after proper warming; I never 'gunned' the car; I always accelerated gently on a properly warmed engine. I never really had any issues in my first 2 years of ownership. THEN in the 3d yr., at appr. 25k miles, 'all hell broke loose'. Water leaks started springing up, about every 2 weeks. Would hunt it down, fix the hose or clamp, then wait for the next one. Few months later started getting white smoke on start up, and 'ugly' growling starts. I did not realize what the symptoms were: Long story short, head cracked, known problem with early 12Cs, water in cylinders (explained ugly starts), and cracked head sending exhaust from combustion chamber into water jacket of engine explained the water leaks. I have to make the story short, so bottom line: $50K+!!! The car had all the little niggles, wiper motor failure, HVAC screen failure, IRIS not efficient -- all not bad issues ... but the head crack .... So anyway, I had the car fixed correctly with all updates (the $50k+ bill -- much closer to $60k with other issues that crept up on that shop visit), and sold it via fear. All told, I probably put $100,000. into the 12C over 3 years ($10k was voluntary, changing seats). 12Cs, mostly early ones, have the head issue, and some have had transmission issues -- mine never had any transmission issue. So yeah, I have had the 12C, and I do have nightmares. I could have just purchased one much cheaper than the 570, but I am way too scared.
I posted few weeks ago and studied as much as I could about the 570S, I also gave it a few years for issues to surface and be written about, but I haven't read any serious, constant issues with the 570. I must say, pics all over the internet do not do the 570 justice -- the car is VERY beautiful in person. I hope to have a good essay on the 570 in about a month. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well Bocomac, I can't give a thorough comparison yet, since I just got the 570S today. But here is a summary of the 12C. I had an early model. The car was scary fast; I went 200 mph couple of times, certainly capable. Handled great, looked great. I never abused the car; yes I drove it fast, but only after proper warming; I never 'gunned' the car; I always accelerated gently on a properly warmed engine. I never really had any issues in my first 2 years of ownership. THEN in the 3d yr., at appr. 25k miles, 'all hell broke loose'. Water leaks started springing up, about every 2 weeks. Would hunt it down, fix the hose or clamp, then wait for the next one. Few months later started getting white smoke on start up, and 'ugly' growling starts. I did not realize what the symptoms were: Long story short, head cracked, known problem with early 12Cs, water in cylinders (explained ugly starts), and cracked head sending exhaust from combustion chamber into water jacket of engine explained the water leaks. I have to make the story short, so bottom line: $50K+!!! The car had all the little niggles, wiper motor failure, HVAC screen failure, IRIS not efficient -- all not bad issues ... but the head crack .... So anyway, I had the car fixed correctly with all updates (the $50k+ bill -- much closer to $60k with other issues that crept up on that shop visit), and sold it via fear. All told, I probably put $100,000. into the 12C over 3 years ($10k was voluntary, changing seats). 12Cs, mostly early ones, have the head issue, and some have had transmission issues -- mine never had any transmission issue. So yeah, I have had the 12C, and I do have nightmares. I could have just purchased one much cheaper than the 570, but I am way too scared.
I posted few weeks ago and studied as much as I could about the 570S, I also gave it a few years for issues to surface and be written about, but I haven't read any serious, constant issues with the 570. I must say, pics all over the internet do not do the 570 justice -- the car is VERY beautiful in person. I hope to have a good essay on the 570 in about a month. Wish me luck!
thanks Markj..... best of luck with your new toy, it is a good looking car..... let us know what you think as time goes on..

·
Registered
41 Posts
@markj Does your car have catless or high flow downpipes? If so, I saw it at McLaren Houston a month ago, it looked like a pretty nice car overall and priced well!

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kotykb,
Good question ... but I don't know. My literature from the dealer is blank on that, and I never thought to ask, it was a very sudden purchase. How can I tell from visual inspection? I want to check & see.

By the way, are you in Houston? Some pics came up on FB showing a lot of water at McLaren Houston, surrounding many 720s. Anybody got any updates on the situation there; any cars damaged?

·
Registered
41 Posts
kotykb,
Good question ... but I don't know. My literature from the dealer is blank on that, and I never thought to ask, it was a very sudden purchase. How can I tell from visual inspection? I want to check & see.

By the way, are you in Houston? Some pics came up on FB showing a lot of water at McLaren Houston, surrounding many 720s. Anybody got any updates on the situation there; any cars damaged?
Did you pick up the car yet? You would know if you have downpipes on the car, its substantially louder than stock and I assume it's been tuned... might want to look into that.

I'm not in Houston, my girlfriend is there for her surgery fellowship and we went and test drove a 570s recently.

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drove my Porsche there last Thur., dropped it off, test drove the 570 I bought, paid for it, then McLaren Houston flew me home and shipped the car the following Saturday -- so I never drove or heard another 570. It was starting to rain heavily when I arrived in Houston (a bad omen for what was coming), so other test drives became impossible. So I will ask Houston next week or so to check for more records. I am going to wait b/c I am sure right now they are worried about the water -- I've seen some high water in pics on the net -- at McLaren Houston. Hoping no cars damaged. I got lucky and by chance got my car a few days in advance of the bad flooding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drove my Porsche there last Thur., dropped it off, test drove the 570 I bought, paid for it, then McLaren Houston flew me home and shipped the car the following Saturday -- so I never drove or heard another 570. It was starting to rain heavily when I arrived in Houston (a bad omen for what was coming), so other test drives became impossible. So I will ask Houston next week or so to check for more records. I am going to wait b/c I am sure right now they are worried about the water -- I've seen some high water in pics on the net -- at McLaren Houston. Hoping no cars damaged. I got lucky and by chance got my car a few days in advance of the bad flooding.
I'm pretty sure your car was the one I started up, I asked them about the downpipes and tune and they didn't know... which was alarming. FYI, read up on this forum, the dealer might say its "fine" that the car has downpipes and a tune but if something happens to the car mechanically, McLaren can void your warranty and the dealer has no say in this.

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sure will check on it. Thanks. They did have several other ventura orange 570's on the lot -- but I never had time to do anything but glance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mark, I had the same exact issue with my 12C, it had a cracked head after 26k miles. I had the McLaren extended warranty so McLaren Dallas fixed the issue all under warranty and it cost me nothing out of pocket. I ended up trading my McLaren Orange 12C for a 2019 570S and I think McLaren Houston sold my 12C a few weeks ago or they wholesaled it. How do you like the 570S?? I miss my Swype doors, active aero, active suspension and bigger tires on the 12C but the I do love the 570S for it's raw edgy feeling and I like the power band. The 12C makes a bad driver great with the active suspension and the 570 you really need to be a good driver to drive it well. Do you live in Texas? I live in Dallas.

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey mmonin, I live in Louisiana. Was your 12C McL orange? They had one there, I could have gotten with $0. for trade with my 6 mo. old Porsche 911 -- but it was described as 'still in the shop with much work being done to make it right again ....' So yeah I miss some aspects of the 12C, but so far very happy with the 570S.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes. It was McLaren Orange and had carbon fiber and side tuning vanes and a carbon fiber wing, MSO carbon fiber rear diffusor, carbon fiber front splitter, carbon fiber window cowl, carbon fiber engine cover vents, carbon fiber interior.... super clean carfax, it was never in a wreck and all original paint. I would not buy it unless it was CPO.

·
Owner
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I never got to see your prior 12C, they said it was still being worked on. By coincidence, my old 12C was there being serviced (see pic after my 570 pics, when I started this thread). I don't think the new owner has had any problems with my prior 12C, but of course I did take care of everything 100% any time the car burped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts