McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking delivery of my ordered 2020 720S Coupé in Feb 2020, I had several nightmare service experiences with the dealer the car was purchased from. A howling wind noise was coming in from the driver's side door/window from 60mph up. The faster... the louder... until it sounded like a standing next to jet engine once the car was at the speeds it was designed for. In addition, at every little bump in the road, it sounded like the glass gorilla glass panel was hitting metal and was about to shatter at any time. The Miami dealer told me the gorilla glass "is just the way it is and nothing can be done." As to the wind noise, despite pulling loose bolts out of the bottom of the door, (to which they said "these exotics sometimes are finished with a couple extra parts") each time they gave the car back worse than before while telling me "Everything is in spec" and "Don't expect a Mercedes' quiet cabin."

After reaching out to McLaren HQ, the VP of after sales arranged for McLaren Orlando to service the car. They sent a covered transport driven by the most professional "car-guy" driver (who, after a 3+ hr drive, spent at least 30min passionately talking about all the cars he's been involved with). They then fixed EVERY issue perfectly. They fixed the window tracks. They replaced all of the window/door seals (two were out of spec). They re-aligned the gorilla glass and fixed the headliner. The car came back PERFECT. It was detailed to perfection and looked like it just came off the assembly line. Equally important, all along during the process, the Service Manager called and updated me as to progress and parts delivery.

Also, they did my 1st service. And the bill was less than any I've read about to date online.

They went out of their way to turn what was a very negative buying/ownership experience completely around.

Excellent service department. Excellent people. Excellent experience.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ok so i'm already dreading dropping this car off for service in July. Because i either have to choose Miami, or Palm Beach. The car was originally purchased at miami, (it was a lease transfer) and they already have done some minor work on the car (with prior owner)

Now my question to you is, did you purchase it there, from the collection? If orlando is going to give me better service, and cost less, i have no issue transporting it there to them (i know that sounds farfetched) but considering what a friend just told me happened at the collection two days ago, i'am extremely nervous about leaving my car there.

And as for Palm Beach, the sales department sucks ass, so i dont feel they deserve my money, to be frank.

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now my question to you is, did you purchase it there, from the collection?
Yes, it was purchased from The Collection....actually my 2nd McLaren from them. They couldn't care less if it was my 10th.
Service was horrible on my 911 Turbo S (at their Porsche service). Horrible on my 570.
But for the 720s (which has a $400k sticker and was ordered there) - it went way beyond just bad service... no one at service...not the advisor...not the techs....not the Service Manager...not the General Manager wanted to do (or did) (or cared to do) ANYTHING...on a brand new car purchased there. (no I didn't get 20% MSRP on the 720...no I didn't get 20% off the 570). They have the market cornered in this corner of the world. They have billionaire clients (who, they tell me, "Just buy another one if they don't like it"). They don't need you. Not to buy...not to service. They sell you the car...and then they are done. From the way they make it out, you should get out of the way so they can take care of the line of wealthy customers wrapped around the block.

If I had to use the SpaceX rocket...to use McLaren Mars...I would wait the ten months (each way) before I ever brought my 720 (or anything else) to The Collection again.

McLaren Orlando were pros and they knew how to (truthfully) update and communicate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can second how terrible the collection is. Bought my car from them out of state and there was a bunch of issues. Everything you said about them is true. You can tell by their inventory, they can barely keep any car in stock. Too many people with too much money.

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything you said about them is true. You can tell by their inventory, they can barely keep any car in stock.
I haven't been in their cavernous garage lately, but they usually had (at least in the years I was going there) a dozen+ new McLaren that weren't listed on their website. I'm told dealers are only allowed to list a certain number (but then see other dealers listing a bit more - so I don't know what the story is with that). Also, on their showroom floor, they display the cars that have been in inventory the longest (again, what I was told). This is all pre-covid so I don't know how it is now. When I bought my 570 (Feb 2019) they had about 10 coupes to choose from. When I was ordering my 720, there were 4 in the showroom and another 10ish in the basement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted.. I'm very glad I live right in the middle of Dimmit (tampa) Mclaren and Orlando Mclaren. Both are less than 60miles from my house. I haven't used Orlando yet but tampa mclaren folks are great as well. when the time comes for service i'll send mine to orlando and give those chaps a shot and see how they do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for posting this and I very much appreciate this thread. As a new 2018 720s owner, my biggest concern is service. Cautionary tales are plentiful, but this kind of story is arguably more important. I hope McLaren owners across FL pay attention and flood Orlando with business!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mclaren Orlando is definitely the best!!! Leah is an awesome lady who genuinely cares about the brand and does whatever she can to turn things around. I have not only had positive experiences with them but I have also recommended friends and need to have had exceptional experiences with them and all my friends live in South Florida so yes they even have their cars picked up and taken to Orlando and they take care of them with no issues.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i didnt have time ro rant this morning. But, OP touched on a very important point. He bought the car from the collection, and they didn't give a shit about him. This i'm sure is a problem at other dealers whose heads are up their asses as well. But south florida is a special place for sure. I went to the collection when i was looking for a 600, and they had 1 being sold literally that minute. The salesman didn't even offer to show me anything else. I'm happy you didn't settle for them treating you like your car or business didn't matter, and i also hope you shop elsewhere next time. Thats the only time dealers care, when it gets them in the pockets. The collection is garbage, they actually jus craashed a 720 into a Ferarri last week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard of a number of poor outcomes coming from both WPB and the Collection service departments, this sad story just adds to those numbers. Orlando, on the hand, has had rave reviews from their service side from quite a few people. Tom Roach, is the GM at the dealership and running a first class operation in Titusville.

The sales side (Javed Gul and Tom) is just as good as the service side. WPB, was not really impressed with me, especially when they realized I knew the market and wasn't interested in paying their inflated south FL prices. Orlando, on the other hand, rolled out the red carpet from day one and treated me with an awful lot of class and respect. WPB, offered me a USED 720 with close to 1200 miles, for $15,000 more than Orlando, who offered a NEW 720 closely specked car (same year). True story,....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have heard of a number of poor outcomes coming from both WPB and the Collection service departments, this sad story just adds to those numbers. Orlando, on the hand, has had rave reviews from their service side from quite a few people. Tom Roach, is the GM at the dealership and running a first class operation in Titusville.

unfortunately nothing is done about it. As i said, it has to hit their wallet to care.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Mclaren Orlando is definitely the best!!! Leah is an awesome lady who genuinely cares about the brand and does whatever she can to turn things around. I have not only had positive experiences with them but I have also recommended friends and need to have had exceptional experiences with them and all my friends live in South Florida so yes they even have their cars picked up and taken to Orlando and they take care of them with no issues.
is Leah originally from mclaren Boston i wonder?

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are two different Leah’s. Just a coincidence. I got my car from Mclaren Boston and went to Mclaren Orlando soon after it opened in Titusville. Both girls are great to work with. The dealership just hosted an event this past Saturday.
9D35E1CD-663F-47B9-A67A-0F4C3D641552.jpeg
CDB91B35-DFAD-4065-A807-755E485C8BB6.jpeg
30B4882E-4CE2-481B-9E16-4D504AF60B06.jpeg
CEF73A84-DD00-4260-97F5-BF393FE3374E.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I may drive to orlando mclaren this weekend with my friend just to check it out and talk with them. Maybe they'll give me the 5c tour of the facility and service dept.

·
Registered
2017 Mclaren 570S
44 Posts
I think I may drive to orlando mclaren this weekend with my friend just to check it out and talk with them. Maybe they'll give me the 5c tour of the facility and service dept.
Ask for Stephen when you get there. Seriously hands down the best service ever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to hear, similar experience in south Florida so good to hear Orlando seems to be reputable. I would also like to share after many nightmare service experiences Mclaren corporate shipped my car to Mclaren Charlotte. The most professional expert and customer focus service department I have ever experienced from Mclaren. Kyle my service advisor communicated constantly, was available by text day night and weekends and the car was returned to me as new. We had a loose clamp on the turbo inlet hose after cha going the entire transmission, easily fixed, and shouldn’t have happened, but based on previous messes with Mclaren service this was exemplary. Highly recommend excellent people, highly accountable and very good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts