McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
So I'm a bit confused on what the products are here. On AWE's website, it lists a "performance exhaust" which is $2600 and a "performance catalyst" which is $5k+. Are these 2 the same sections but one has cats and the other doesn't??

Which one are you selling? The non cat one? I'm used to cars with just "headers" and "exhaust" for things we can upgrade. Now there's downpipes and x-pipes for this car. Is this a turbo thing?
There are two downpipes that come from the turbos (one on each side to each turbo) and each stock downpipe has 2 cats (so the car has a total of 4 OEM cats). The AWE downpipes replace those two OEM downpipes, and uses just 2 high flow cats (so reducing the number of cats from 4 to 2, and the 2 new ones are high flow 200cpi ones made by HJS, a German cat company).

The X-pipe is a separate piece that goes from the downpipes to the tips (does not include the tips, but you can reuse the OEM tips). The reason it’s called an X-pipe is because it joins the two banks of the engine (since it’s a V8) together, then splits off again in the shape of an “X”. The X-pipe also contains a muffler to reduce sound.

The OEM X-pipe is the quietest, the OEM Sports exhaust is just a replacement X-pipe that is less muffled, and the AWE X-pipe is even less muffled.

However, just changing the X-pipe gives minimal performance improvement since the restrictive cats are still there. Changing the downpipes (and thus the cats) as well gives a pretty decent performance increase AND sounds the loudest due to the increased flow.

I believe the pricing on AWE’s website is for either the downpipes OR the X-pipe (ie the more expensive option does not include the X-pipe as well).

Note this the same on other high performance V motors too - my M3 (e90) has the same thing. Headers off the engine connect to X-pipe in the middle and then rear section with muffler. The difference is that on the M3 the cats are built in to the X-pipe. Inline motors typically do not have an X-pipe since the header has already joined all the cylinders together.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Thanks for explanation as well so basically for us v8 American muscle car guys. Headers = downpipe

And catback = x pipe on these cars

Not all the manufacturer use the same terminology for the rear section of exhaust on these cars which I think can. Lead to confusion
Some call it xpipe some call it cat back
Some call it just exhaust.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Thanks for explanation as well so basically for us v8 American muscle car guys. Headers = downpipe

And catback = x pipe on these cars

Not all the manufacturer use the same terminology for the rear section of exhaust on these cars which I think can. Lead to confusion
Some call it xpipe some call it cat back
Some call it just exhaust.
lol, actually, no - the headers are still there - they are just pre-turbo...

So it’s like this on each side of the engine:

Engine -> header (4-to-1) -> turbo -> downpipe (with cats built in) -> X-pipe -> tips

So there are 2 headers, 2 turbos, 2 downpipes, 1 x-pipe and 2 exhaust tips.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
lol, actually, no - the headers are still there - they are just pre-turbo...

So it’s like this on each side of the engine:

Engine -> header (4-to-1) -> turbo -> downpipe (with cats built in) -> X-pipe -> tips

So there are 2 headers, 2 turbos, 2 downpipes, 1 x-pipe and 2 exhaust tips.

Thanks!

Z.
Ah thanks man yeah the turbo manifolds never get replaced unless a crazy build I suppose?

·
Registered
303 Posts
No check engine light even with their sport cats.

X pipe alone could never trigger a CEL because their are no O2 sensors past the downpipes into the X pipe.

The AWE Xpipe is a great replacement for a factory exhaust for the 570S, as it's even better than the factory Sport exhaust option and much cheaper. The McLaren sport exhaust is stock DPs they put on all the cars, but a more aggressive muffler- which the AWE Xpipe replaces.
So I'm a bit confused on what the products are here. On AWE's website, it lists a "performance exhaust" which is $2600 and a "performance catalyst" which is $5k+. Are these 2 the same sections but one has cats and the other doesn't??

Which one are you selling? The non cat one? I'm used to cars with just "headers" and "exhaust" for things we can upgrade. Now there's downpipes and x-pipes for this car. Is this a turbo thing?
I'm selling the "Performance Exhaust" which is the XPipe exhaust that bolts from the Downpipes, to the exhaust tips.

It's essentially a replacement for the OEM muffler or OEM sport exhaust.

I'd still recommend pairing with sport cats or Catless Downpipes.

I've already sold the sport cats to a friend, I now just have the XPipe exhaust for sale.

Great products for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Our Performance Catalysts are applicable to the 600LT, Boulder. See here.
A couple quick questions;
On your site I believe the description is for the 570 with your cats and exhaust.
1)What is the weight savings for the cats on the 600lt?
2)what are the power/trq gains for the 600lt?
3)do you currently have one of your cat set ups running on a 600lt? The reason I ask is because I am concerned about to much heat being generated onto the rear wing and if possible it would be great to hear a sound clip.

Thanks in advance for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Sponsors
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A couple quick questions;
On your site I believe the description is for the 570 with your cats and exhaust.
1)What is the weight savings for the cats on the 600lt?
2)what are the power/trq gains for the 600lt?
3)do you currently have one of your cat set ups running on a 600lt? The reason I ask is because I am concerned about to much heat being generated onto the rear wing and if possible it would be great to hear a sound clip.

Thanks in advance for the info. I appreciate it.
You have PM :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts