McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
UG, autocar can eat it. Bottom line, 4wheel drive makes the Turbo a real deal of accelerating to 90. Good point. Mac steering and everything else is better. I suspect it will be much the same with the turbo S (except it may beat the Mac to 100).

This "emotional" stuff is tripe. The 991 is an amazing car. Kudos to porsche.

And autocar can eat me for being a bunch of pussies so afraid of ferrari getting spanked to death in a compro that they don't invite it to the table for its heaping helping of crow.

Forgot to say, thanks for posting it bby!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I love how they found a new car to call emotionless and now they're saying the 12C delivers emotion in spades - which is absolutely does! I'm falling more and more in love with my 12C Spider everytime I drive it.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
UG, autocar can eat it. Bottom line, 4wheel drive makes the Turbo a real deal of accelerating to 90. Good point. Mac steering and everything else is better. I suspect it will be much the same with the turbo S (except it may beat the Mac to 100).

This "emotional" stuff is tripe. The 991 is an amazing car. Kudos to porsche.

And autocar can eat me for being a bunch of pussies so afraid of ferrari getting spanked to death in a compro that they don't invite it to the table for its heaping helping of crow.

Forgot to say, thanks for posting it bby!
The car tested is a Turbo S.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks mark. Wasn't clear because they kept just calling it a turbo, and more importantly because I didn't read carefully enough. Still, 991 ts is a great machine. And I suspect, to everyone except ninnies writing for magazines that drive these cars for a few hours, sitting in a 991 ts is plenty emotional. Wonks.

·
OWNER
99 Posts
Looks like all the reporters are using 12c as a benchmark for every new models coming out. They finally get what this car is all about. Instead of just bashing Iris.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Autocar reviews 991TT v 12C
Thanks for sharing! Interesting how Porsche is much heavier, without the carbon fiber tub technology, has much less horse power and much cheaper can beat the MP4. That AWD also makes Porsche more practical too! I wonder what a 991 GT2/RS will be like.

·
Registered
886 Posts
"Badly offset driving position". What the hell are they talking about? The 12C was designed to have a strait on, perfectly aligned driving position.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
"Badly offset driving position". What the hell are they talking about? The 12C was designed to have a strait on, perfectly aligned driving position.
Yes falb,i read that and first laughed then got P----d,It was the first thing Autocar praised when they wrote about it years ago,get some continuity guys instead of trying to think up BS.
The 911 does have a great driving position,but jumping from one into the 12c and you realise how much better the 12c is,especially when threading your way though traffic,maybe the journo they used couldn't stop a pig in a passage !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Yeah strange comment that though..,
Seems the turbo doesn't turn in still,, imagine my surprise... at least this column comes close to my own perceptions... driving position apart which is plain factual inaccuracy.,

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The ergonomics comments are quite bizarre, you can see from their own internal picture on page 47 how in-line the driving position is....
I've steadily been going off Sutcliffe for a few years. Bit of a me me.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
All this article does is confirm the p13 project as a fools errand to me . I am one of the few civilians to have driven 991ts ( and 918 same day , not one of the 6000 rpm 918s either :) ) on track at leipzig and I suspected at the time it was faster than my 12c ( up to about 100 ish ) . Where will the p13 sit ? Btw 991ts turns in very well indeed , when pushed beyond it has some understeer ( and i suspect later oversteer ) but all cars go either under or over at the limit when pushed beyond .
So WHERE DOES THE P13 FIT ? I fear the p13 will be the straw that brakes the camels back .

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
All this article does is confirm the p13 project as a fools errand to me . I am one of the few civilians to have driven 991ts ( and 918 same day , not one of the 6000 rpm 918s either :) ) on track at leipzig and I suspected at the time it was faster than my 12c ( up to about 100 ish ) . Where will the p13 sit ? Btw 991ts turns in very well indeed , when pushed beyond it has some understeer ( and i suspect later oversteer ) but all cars go either under or over at the limit when pushed beyond .
So WHERE DOES THE P13 FIT ? I fear the p13 will be the straw that brakes the camels back .
They only have to sell 2500 a year Doom,if it happens to be a bit slower,some people will want to have something a little more exotic for the money and stand out from the crowd.After all the 911 T was always quicker than any For L car for years it didn't stop them,and the good PR the brand is getting now,and more so when the P1 becomes the quickest A to B exotic its bound to filter down to those that aspire,the crux will be in the pricing,but it will sell for sure.But lets hope the world is in a different place in 2 years as that will also make the difference.
Don't forget the look either,now it will all be Frank,s so i would expect something a little different as he has said they don't feel they need to have a company theme such as Porsche!!

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
They only have to sell 2500 a year Doom,if it happens to be a bit slower,some people will want to have something a little more exotic for the money and stand out from the crowd.After all the 911 T was always quicker than any For L car for years it didn't stop them,and the good <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> the brand is getting now,and more so when the P1 becomes the quickest A to B exotic its bound to filter down to those that aspire,the crux will be in the pricing,but it will sell for sure.But lets hope the world is in a different place in 2 years as that will also make the difference.
From an interview with Frank about a year ago: "we’re building only around 1500 cars so it is much more exclusive."

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Looks like all the reporters are using 12c as a benchmark for every new models coming out. They finally get what this car is all about. Instead of just bashing Iris.
Because Mclaren hands them out to everyone and doesn't provide reprisals like Ferrari for testing them in compros. So the journalists are very "brave" in using the car as hype for whatever they're excited about and to sell more eyeballs for their rags.

The wouldn't dare do the 458 and 911ts because they are all a bunch of pussies.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
From an interview with Frank about a year ago: "we’re building only around 1500 cars so it is much more exclusive."
They only have to sell 2500 a year Doom,if it happens to be a bit slower,some people will want to have something a little more exotic for the money and stand out from the crowd.After all the 911 T was always quicker than any For L car for years it didn't stop them,and the good <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> the brand is getting now,and more so when the P1 becomes the quickest A to B exotic its bound to filter down to those that aspire,the crux will be in the pricing,but it will sell for sure.But lets hope the world is in a different place in 2 years as that will also make the difference.
Don't forget the look either,now it will all be Frank,s so i would expect something a little different as he has said they don't feel they need to have a company theme such as Porsche!!
That's great to hear . I retract my fears . I thought they were trying to do an Aston and beat Porsche at their own game .
By the way have mclaren signed up to the proposed "apple" infotainment systems like Ferreira etc have ?
This will surely go a long long way in helping mclaren IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I would think there should be plenty of room for the P13 to slot in below the 12c and still be a competitive offering. Both the 12c and the 911 Turbo S are going to fly around tracks, cause back injuries when accelerating, and both will hopefully be enjoyed by their owners as wonderful drivers' cars for commuting to work, tearing up country roads, and going like hell when the mood strikes. :D

All that said, it would seem saying there's no market for a P13 is sort of like saying there's no market for any 911 outside of a turbo S. A Carrera S will do everything a Turbo S will do dialed up to 8.5 instead of 9.5, and the Carrera S is the best selling flavor of 911. If a P13 is an 8.7 vs. 9.7 (love Porsche, but want to play for team McLaren :D ) of the 12c, I think there will be a market and demand.

If the expectation is that a P13 is to play ball against a Carrera S / 4S, and not the Turbo S when it comes to calculating 0-60 and lap times, I think McLaren can beat that benchmark without cannibalizing the 12c market. As with all things, particularly things with six figure price tags, the success of the P13 will likely come down to how much McLaren lists it for... If it comes in with Carrera S beating stats, but a Turbo S price tag, there will be a problem.

From reading this forum, McLaren has shown that they are listening and responding to their customers, which should mean they are paying close attention to their market. I'm sure they learned many lessons on what they did right, and what they can improve upon after having the 12c out for a few years. I have faith they'll get it right, as a hopeful buyer, I truly want them to!

-nh4.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts