McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lap 42: LEWIS LEWIS LEWIS

I hope everyone is seeing this. Brilliant drive.

The second happiest person on the track (after Lewis) has to be Christian Horner because Lewis is going to Mercedes where they will sack Brawn, install Niki, and accomplish nothing -- -- again.

Lewis is happy, but there is a little voice in the back of his mind saying, "Why is it we're leaving here again?"

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Lap 42: LEWIS LEWIS LEWIS

I hope everyone is seeing this. Brilliant drive.

The second happiest person on the track (after Lewis) has to be Christian Horner because Lewis is going to Mercedes where they will sack Brawn, install Niki, and accomplish nothing -- -- again.

Lewis is happy, but there is a little voice in the back of his mind saying, "Why is it we're leaving here again?"
Not to be a cynic, George, but the car's unreliability and the all the pit stop screw-ups at the beginning of the season cost Lewis several more victories and probably the WDC, too. Don't forget McLaren also went backwards for several races when they were later than other teams understanding the tires. I think Lewis is probably more than okay with his decision, at the moment. Now, if JB or Sergio goes on to win the title next year, that will be a different story!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Best thing to come out of Austin is that Lewis stuffed up Vettel's Championship winning party.

Impressed with the straight line speed of the McLaren, very quick.

Alonso still in with a chance next week where the forecast is for rain!!!

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I saw this thread title well before I got a chance to watch the race and had a feeling what the result would be because of it. Might be better if we kept potential spoilers out of thread titles. That's the rule that's practiced in most other places that discuss racing. :)

= = = = =

This was an exciting race - I really wish I'd braved the madness and been there in person. Austin really pulled it off - I thought the first event would be wrought with turmoil for fans and it seems they were fairly well prepared.

The action on track was excellent. There was a lot of wheel-to-wheel battles and close racing that you rarely see on an F1 track. I was on the edge of my seat most of the way through. I did think it was a cheap trick that Ferrari used to improve their starting positions. Massa did extremely well to recover from his unnecessary penalty and still finish 5th. Fernando did well for himself to benefit from that bonus on lap one but then could not seem to do anything else beyond that. Ferrari will lose another championship in Brazil despite their tricks.

Congrats to Lewis. He drove a perfect race. Next year might be a little tougher for him and tougher for McLaren without him.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
179 Posts
A Great

Move for Lewis Hamilton! Some are saying Mercedes Benz won't make the cut? I believe and think that the best is still to come from Team Daimler F1 AMG (Mercedes Benz engines) from 2014! Just think of Lewis winning the title/titles with the Silver Arrows...WOW! That would be status to match M.Schumachers 7 titles!? He is one of the top 3 drivers in F1. Closer to number 1 than 3? He seems to be a very honest person and that in my book is worth every penny!:)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I saw this thread title well before I got a chance to watch the race and had a feeling what the result would be because of it. Might be better if we kept potential spoilers out of thread titles. That's the rule that's practiced in most other places that discuss racing. :)

= = = = =

This was an exciting race - I really wish I'd braved the madness and been there in person. Austin really pulled it off - I thought the first event would be wrought with turmoil for fans and it seems they were fairly well prepared.

The action on track was excellent. There was a lot of wheel-to-wheel battles and close racing that you rarely see on an F1 track. I was on the edge of my seat most of the way through. I did think it was a cheap trick that Ferrari used to improve their starting positions. Massa did extremely well to recover from his unnecessary penalty and still finish 5th. Fernando did well for himself to benefit from that bonus on lap one but then could not seem to do anything else beyond that. Ferrari will lose another championship in Brazil despite their tricks.

Congrats to Lewis. He drove a perfect race. Next year might be a little tougher for him and tougher for McLaren without him.

>8^)
ER
It may have been a cheap trick by Ferrari to break Massa's seal, but it was well within the rules, so why wouldn't they do it? I was not surprised, in fact I expected them to do something as soon as I saw the results from quali, I just didn't know what exactly. The more salient point is that it is just another example of promoting Alonso at Massa's expense. I think Whitmarsh was bang-on when he said it works for Ferrari and Alsonso, because that was exactly the type of thing Alonso demanded while he was at McLaren and threw tantrums when he was denied. Massa has been castrated completely and frankly it's a bit sad to see, given the talent that he has. I don't feel to sorry for him, though, if he didn't crave the fame and perhaps money of driving for Ferrari, he could grow a pair and leave. At least he could salvage some dignity and honour driving for another team.

Alsonso will still win the WDC this year. RB has to go almost blindly to a new spec alternator for the last race and therefore I have a strong feeling Vettel will DNF. Alonso needs only the podium to take it and being the only driver with his own concubine on the track, there are still plenty of tricks for Ferrari to use. That is, unless Bernie has already fixed it so Seb doesn't win, which I don't doubt, either.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It wasn't a cheap trick by Ferrari - it was strategy that moved Alonso to the clean side of the track when he moved up a position.

I was hugely impressed with the race - I am trying HARD to remember the last time someone passed Vettel when he was leading (and not due to a car problem). I can't think of a single time. Anyone help me out?

I'm also feeling a bit of American pride over the circuit. It seems to be a truly GREAT track and facility.

And - whatever you think about McLaren's reliability/team, they've been FAR more successful/quick than Mercedes. Hope the money tastes the same as victory.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The gearbox rule was designed to penalize reliability issues, not allow a team to shuffle the grid slot order for their drivers into more favorable positions after qualifying. Therefore, cheap trick to use it in that manner. As Christian Horner said - "Typical Ferrari."

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I am trying HARD to remember the last time someone passed Vettel when he was leading (and not due to a car problem). I can't think of a single time. Anyone help me out?
That might go all the way back to Canada last season, when Jenson forced Seb into an error on the last lap and took the win. I think JB made 34 passes and 6 pit stops in that race!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just got home from an absolutely epic weekend in Austin. We were in the McLaren Automotive trackside suites right at Turn 1. What a fabulous three days of fun. So glad that the race was won by good driving and not by safety car antics, mechanical issues or pit lane screw-ups. Even more glad who won! The second Lewis crossed the line, the champagne came out plus the "rocket red" shirts that are only worn when McLaren win a race.
I have to say McLaren did a fantastic job with organizing the event, lots of parties, and a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I was even more impressed with the Track's organization - I really was concerned that their logistics would be lacking, what with it being literally the first time the place had ever been used, but everything went off perfectly. And the track is truly amazing, can't wait to run it (hint: start looking for more details of the US Owners Rally to be posted shortly in the sticky thread on this forum!)
Of course, now the world will think that Austin has beautiful weather, and thank god it was so nice; parts of the facility are still being completed and if it had rained it would have been a real mudfest.
Other miscellaneous thoughts, 1) I was amazed at how few of the McLaren owners I met knew about this forum - maybe we need to spread the word more through the dealer network? 2) I was also amazed at how many owners I met who've already plunked down their deposits on P-1, must have been 6 or 7 of them, most of whom haven't even seen it yet. Wow, what a bunch of fanatics!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Austin was great for those who went and for the rest of us who watched from home.

Peleton: Apologize for spoiling things. Won't make that mistake again.

Everyone who criticized Ferrari for breaking the seal on Masa's engine:
That was a very EYE-talian maneuver, it's just part of the international show, and you've got to love it.

Everyone who thinks Lewis will excel with Mercedes: Not a chance. Renault and Ferrari are better engines. RBR and McLaren are better chassis. McLaren, Lotus, RBR, and Ferrari are better teams. Rossberg is a great driver and look where he has been languishing in the field. Unless they can hire Newey (which is not going to happen), not much will change for Mercedes except they are poorer for having paid Lewis his large, well deserved, fee.

AND THE BIGGEST WINNER OF ALL: (all together now) B-E-R-N-I E

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Austin was great for those who went and for the rest of us who watched from home.

Peleton: Apologize for spoiling things. Won't make that mistake again.

Everyone who criticized Ferrari for breaking the seal on Masa's engine:
That was a very EYE-talian maneuver, it's just part of the international show, and you've got to love it.

Everyone who thinks Lewis will excel with Mercedes: Not a chance. Renault and Ferrari are better engines. RBR and McLaren are better chassis. McLaren, Lotus, RBR, and Ferrari are better teams. Rossberg is a great driver and look where he has been languishing in the field. Unless they can hire Newey (which is not going to happen), not much will change for Mercedes except they are poorer for having paid Lewis his large, well deserved, fee.

AND THE BIGGEST WINNER OF ALL: (all together now) B-E-R-N-I E
Not sure if this is correct?? Bit didnt Newey leave Mclaren because he wanted a share in the company?? So i would assume he has a fairly big share in RB? ,so will be there for eternity:( ,Anyone know??

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm hard-pressed to think Lewis will do better in a slower, less-reliable car. And it's gonna take quite a few more titles for Lewis to be considered in the same breath with Schumi. Seriously - I can't help but think he's shot himself in the foot in a moment of pique.

·
Registered
691 Posts
And I'm not going to slag Ferrari for the trans-seal "trick" - I have a feeling ANY team would use the rules to whatever advantage in order to win.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure if this is correct?? Bit didnt Newey leave Mclaren because he wanted a share in the company?? So i would assume he has a fairly big share in RB? ,so will be there for eternity:( ,Anyone know??
Really good question: According to the Guardian, in 2006 Red Bull offered Newey $10 million after McLaren balked at paying that much, and this resulted in Adrian going to RBR. Who knows that they've done for him since then? I'm sure he hasn't taken a cut in pay.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Really good question: According to the Guardian, in 2006 Red Bull offered Newey $10 million after McLaren balked at paying that much, and this resulted in Adrian going to RBR. Who knows that they've done for him since then? I'm sure he hasn't taken a cut in pay.
Lifetime supply of Red Bull soda? Maybe he's a junkie.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Anything can happen any successive year. Obviously, past & recent success (relatively speaking) does offer some insight for a team's prowess the following season. But, there are exceptions. Obvious example of this is Brawn-GP (namely former BAR-Honda, Honda, etc) coming out of nowhere w/ their chassis, and heck- even Lotus this season in a very competitive package week-in & week-out.

I believe Hamilton moving on is a big loss for the team, as he is an elite (but handful) driver. On any given Sunday, the trio of Alonso, Vettel, and Hamilton are in their own realm & each equally capable of winning regardless of the carriage that they are at helm at. I don't believe I can make such an assertion about any of the other drivers in the paddocks.

Signing Perez is a solid move by the Woking racing outfit, for a potentially very good driver. His marketability is obvious from this past weekend (and I see the U.S. & Western hemisphere adding a few more F1 GPs in the near future). Alongside a surgical & ever cool/calm/composed Button, they should provide consistent challenges at every GP. Though, the sublime & mercurial performances of a Hamilton (whether for P1 or top-of-the-podium) will seemingly be missing. Then again, who knows- may be there's some maniacal & je nais se quois greatness in Perez!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Anything can happen any successive year. Obviously, past & recent success (relatively speaking) does offer some insight for a team's prowess the following season. But, there are exceptions. Obvious example of this is Brawn-GP (namely former BAR-Honda, Honda, etc) coming out of nowhere w/ their chassis, and heck- even Lotus this season in a very competitive package week-in & week-out.

I believe Hamilton moving on is a big loss for the team, as he is an elite (but handful) driver. On any given Sunday, the trio of Alonso, Vettel, and Hamilton are in their own realm & each equally capable of winning regardless of the carriage that they are at helm at. I don't believe I can make such an assertion about any of the other drivers in the paddocks.

Signing Perez is a solid move by the Woking racing outfit, for a potentially very good driver. His marketability is obvious from this past weekend (and I see the U.S. & Western hemisphere adding a few more F1 GPs in the near future). Alongside a surgical & ever cool/calm/composed Button, they should provide consistent challenges at every GP. Though, the sublime & mercurial performances of a Hamilton (whether for P1 or top-of-the-podium) will seemingly be missing. Then again, who knows- may be there's some maniacal & je nais se quois greatness in Perez!
Agreed. Like I said, they now need to find an additional 3-5 tenths of pace to stay on the first or second row, just to account for Lewis leaving. That will not be easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts