McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW and Audi interested in buying McLaren Automotive - Automobilwoche

Stock Markets (Nov 14, 2021 08:35AM ET)
BERLIN (Reuters) - Volkswagen (DE:VOWG_p)'s Audi and BMW are interested in buying British luxury sportscar maker McLaren Automotive, German autos publication Automobilwoche reported on Sunday, without specifying its sources. The first talks between BMW and Bahrain sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, which owns 42% of McLaren, are to take place at the beginning of December, the report said.

Audi is also interested in the Formula 1 division of the company, it said.

BMW and Audi were not immediately available for comment

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recent Paul Walsh, McLaren Group Executive Chairman, appointments made at McLaren …

Stefan Jacoby will serve as a non-executive board director. Most recently, Jacoby served as Executive Vice President and President of International Operations at General Motors. Prior to this, he served as the Global Chief Executive Officer and President at Volvo Car Corporation and President and Chief Executive Officer of Volkswagen Group of America.

Michael Macht (acting CEO after Mike Flewitt resignation) will serve as a non-executive board director. Macht spent over 30 years in various leadership positions at Porsche and Volkswagen Group, including a Member of the Executive Board and Head of Group Production.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The McLaren rumor first appeared in AMuS magazine in September, as Porsche and Audi were participating in new F1 engine discussions …
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/audi-mclaren-verkauf-f1-motoren-einstieg-2026/

There have been denials from McLaren …
But now we have Reuters adding their weight to the news reports.

2012 MP4-12C
2,958 Posts
Not sure why Audi would buy them considering the already have Lamborghini. BMW makes perfect sense though since BMW has no high-end sports cars.
Spin off or sell Lamborghini since it's so profitable now, buy McLaren and make it more profitable. Remember, Bugatti now belongs to Rimac, not VW as well.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Not sure why Audi would buy them considering the already have Lamborghini. BMW makes perfect sense though since BMW has no high-end sports cars.
agreed. Not sure what the synergy is between McLaren and VW. VW has been working hard to massively cut costs and fund it’s EV transition. McLaren is just a step backwards there. They have Lambo and Porsche. I don’t see them needing the McLaren brand.

Not saying that McLaren getting access to Porsche’s EV tech instead of needing to leverage up the debt to fund their own EV platform wouldn’t be outstanding, just not sure I see anything in it for VW.

BMW has the opposite problem. They don’t really bring anything to McLaren. I mean money, sure. But BMW is pretty wayward at this point and not executing well. I don’t think this would be good for McLaren.

2012 MP4-12C
2,958 Posts
VW owns 45% of Rimac through Porsche.
They do, but that's not a controlling interest. Porsche invested in Rimac because they were buying EV tech from Rimac.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMW says it is not interested in McLaren Automotive, Audi says open to cooperation

·
Registered
574 Posts
I wouldn't mind Audi owning Mclaren Automotive. This way I know with the backing of the VAG group, Mclaren will be set financially in the foreseeable future and the quality of its cars will get better over time.

Now, the concern I have is Mclaren's Formula 1 team. I would hate to see the Mclaren Formula 1 team lose its independence completely. That would be a shame, but I guess that's the price you pay for being arrogant and over leverage yourself on an aggressive business model.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Reactions: Bjorn and eMcL

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
how do we think this impacts replacement 720 launch?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts