McLaren Life banner
1821 - 1840 of 1841 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm, although we have since seen more cars being delivered, it seems like little progress has been made in making them work. There is now a real possibility that the car will never be finished - at least not by Aston Martin. With them being almost out of money already they might go bankrupt before they finish the car. I wouldn't be too surprised if the ones who took the delivery of the car were forced to go to some third party to have the car finished, no doubt at quite the additional cost. And that might not even be possible, or it might take a few years before there is such an option.

I would also be quite curious to know what the mood among the Valkyrie owners is. Are they just so busy and do they have so many other cars to play with already that they don't really care about what happens to one particular car, or are they quite pissed that even after all the wait AM is trying to sell them a non-functioning car? From the very few people speaking out it currently seems like most of them have resigned themselves to stick with AM until the bitter end - although then again maybe they are just too absentminded to have noticed what's really happening...

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
as opposed to a post like this? ;) hey you all, i spent 2.5mn quid on what should have been a really cool car 5 years ago, and was naive enough to take delivery of it, when 5 minutes of googling should have alerted me to the risk of it not working as expected, so now i cant drive and have no remaining recourse against AML?

i've refused to take delivery of it until it is sorted out.
How does this work in practice, Alex? Is it a series of increasingly fraught WTF conversations with execs at AML, or do you just sit tight and wait, or are people handing it to solicitors? This is a demographic which presumably has relatively easy access to highly motivated lawyers.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hmm, although we have since seen more cars being delivered, it seems like little progress has been made in making them work. There is now a real possibility that the car will never be finished - at least not by Aston Martin. With them being almost out of money already they might go bankrupt before they finish the car. I wouldn't be too surprised if the ones who took the delivery of the car were forced to go to some third party to have the car finished, no doubt at quite the additional cost. And that might not even be possible, or it might take a few years before there is such an option.

I would also be quite curious to know what the mood among the Valkyrie owners is. Are they just so busy and do they have so many other cars to play with already that they don't really care about what happens to one particular car, or are they quite pissed that even after all the wait AM is trying to sell them a non-functioning car? From the very few people speaking out it currently seems like most of them have resigned themselves to stick with AM until the bitter end - although then again maybe they are just too absentminded to have noticed what's really happening...
well they arent going bust just yet. they just raised GBP575mn, should be enough for a couple of months.
i think they main issue for both the Valkyrie and the AMG One is that the manufacturer doesnt care anymore. all they want is to get paid and then forget about it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How does this work in practice, Alex? Is it a series of increasingly fraught WTF conversations with execs at AML, or do you just sit tight and wait, or are people handing it to solicitors? This is a demographic which presumably has relatively easy access to highly motivated lawyers.
i dont know what people who have taken delivery of the cars are doing. i think it would be quite easy to break the contract and ask for the downpayments back or you sit tight and hope that one way or another they will be able to deliver a car that will blow everything else away, while still being very short of what was promised.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
well they arent going bust just yet. they just raised GBP575mn, should be enough for a couple of months.
i think they main issue for both the Valkyrie and the AMG One is that the manufacturer doesnt care anymore. all they want is to get paid and then forget about it.
I can see how that makes sense for Mercedes, but surely at this point, AML's whole reputation and future is riding on this, no?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
i dont know what people who have taken delivery of the cars are doing. i think it would be quite easy to break the contract and ask for the downpayments back or you sit tight and hope that one way or another they will be able to deliver a car that will blow everything else away, while still being very short of what was promised.
Even after all the delays and problems, there's still nothing else quite like it on the market, imo, and probably won't be for some time. And do you really want to be driving around in a similar car made by a drink manufacturer?? 😂 The biggest worry for me would be long-term ownership! Even if they're still around, will they still be technically capable of keeping them on the road even after solving the current issues?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I can see how that makes sense for Mercedes, but surely at this point, AML's whole reputation and future is riding on this, no?
what reputation? going bankrupt 7x while making mediocre, if great looking cars, and riding on the PAID James Bond association for 30 years and paying 20mn p.a. to fund the chairmans underperforming F1 team. actually having thought about it, it is a perfect match, a mediocre car manufacturer with a mediocre F1 team...

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
what reputation? going bankrupt 7x while making mediocre, if great looking cars, and riding on the PAID James Bond association for 30 years and paying 20mn p.a. to fund the chairmans underperforming F1 team. actually having thought about it, it is a perfect match, a mediocre car manufacturer with a mediocre F1 team...
Well it was apparently good enough for you to plop down a deposit!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I wonder why you fell for this exaggerated sales talk? I think it was clear from the start that Aston Martin was promising things here that simply sounded too adventurous and thus rather unrealizable.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well it was apparently good enough for you to plop down a deposit!!
i never signed up for an Aston, i signed up for the first Newey road car with a NA V12 revving to above 11k and more downforce than any other road car ever, designed by RBAT and then assembled by some english car manufacturer that at least should have that knowhow...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Looks to me like Merc cares a lot more about the AMG One than Aston for the Valkyrie. They're letting people actually drive the car hard. Still running it at the Ring

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks to me like Merc cares a lot more about the AMG One than Aston for the Valkyrie. They're letting people actually drive the car hard. Still running it at the Ring
They have resigned it to being a loss leader for their AMG e performance brand and actually have a reputation to uphold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i never signed up for an Aston, i signed up for the first Newey road car with a NA V12 revving to above 11k and more downforce than any other road car ever, designed by RBAT and then assembled by some english car manufacturer that at least should have that knowhow...
Are you considering getting your money back and plugging it into the, way more expensive and different engine, RB17?
That the car Newey will be endorsing as « his » road car. Not the Valkyrie.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Valhalla, you want a carbontubbed hybrid, buy the artura
you want more power, lower weight, better performance and a car that actually exists (vs the vaporware Valhalla), buy the SF90
I’m not saying I want to buy the valahalla. Just wondering if it will suffer like the Valkyrie. No interest in actually buying one. Don’t really like the look of it.

·
Administrator
3,194 Posts
I’m not saying I want to buy the valahalla. Just wondering if it will suffer like the Valkyrie. No interest in actually buying one. Don’t really like the look of it.
Well, it was originally launched in 2019 and so far the only thing anyone has seen is a clay model.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How is a SF90 lighter than the Valhalla? Isn't that thing a pig?
on the launch at goodwood in 2021, i remember the weight being more than the SF90
less BHP, more expensive and back then not limited (think they subsequently reduced it to 999 or somehting)
and of course the fact that Valhalla is nowhere to be seen. SF90 is already out with the spider version, a speciale version is long now either and my bet is that the SF100 (or whatever they will call it) will be out before you can buy a Valhalla.
Both of them are heavy, 4wd with no luggage space so doesnt fit any of my desires or use cases.

1821 - 1840 of 1841 Posts