McLaren Life banner
1781 - 1800 of 1841 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
of course slower cars are more drama at perceived higher speeds ... even more if they are manuals ... a 720/765 kind of car is still kind of a good all-round package ... things beyond Senna are however in my view too unlimited to even enjoy driving as their capabilities will just make them boring on any kind of normal road use ... Most ppl I know who own a Senna are not too fond of driving them on the road for tours (SSO being the exception) ...
I haven’t driven a senna so cannot comment. The 720 in curves, for me, is super fun. To be fair I’ve only driven one for a few minutes, so maybe it was just the excitement and maybe it gets duller with familiarity.

But might they not enjoy driving the senna also because it might be a bit rough on regular roads and not as comfortable as the 720/765?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I haven’t driven a senna so cannot comment. The 720 in curves, for me, is super fun. To be fair I’ve only driven one for a few minutes, so maybe it was just the excitement and maybe it gets duller with familiarity.

But might they not enjoy driving the senna also because it might be a bit rough on regular roads and not as comfortable as the 720/765?
main problem is internal noise, low clearance and its quiet difficult to have a good view where the car ends on narrow roads/packed traffic... Senna is only a tiny bit faster in reality if not on track, where its mostly quiet a bit faster than 720s/765LT ... most ppl don't enjoy to drive them on regular roads at all bc its just not comfortable and the risk of damage is way higher than on 720/765 with all the low clearance cf parts sticking out and bad visibility around ... but the really annoying thing is the constant noise, which will just annoy you after 30-40min driving it ...

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

The Senna could never possibly be as comfortable on the road as a 720 simply because of the spring rates necessary to support the downforce when traveling at track speeds.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I like the Senna, my dream car! However, to support the statement of Zombie, if already race track then really race track:
that was kinda one of the points we were trying to make with that video of my cars. the other one was to properly call BS on mclarens previous managements assertion that the Senna would be quicker than a GT3 race car...

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
The Senna could never possibly be as comfortable on the road as a 720 simply because of the spring rates necessary to support the downforce when traveling at track speeds.
it actually wasn't too bad... noise got a bit mad on bad surfaces.. (say concrete motorways/freeways/autobahn/autoroute... )

the road modes were actually well calibrated... you could at a push use track mode on road, which was much better than the 675's track mode on road.. sure it wasn't as comfortable as the 720 no doubt, but you could feel the chassis improvements on road .. incremental rather than revolutionary but they were there...

but yes as alex has just confirmed, it was never on quick on track as the then management and other senior fellows were telling customers whilst in development.. not by a long shot in fact...

which brings us back to why do we buy these things when a dedicated track or race car and a road car where you can use much more of the percentage of its performance is a much more useful, suitable and cost effective solution.. !

i have asked myself this on many many occasions.. !

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
it actually wasn't too bad... noise got a bit mad on bad surfaces.. (say concrete motorways/freeways/autobahn/autoroute... )

the road modes were actually well calibrated... you could at a push use track mode on road, which was much better than the 675's track mode on road.. sure it wasn't as comfortable as the 720 no doubt, but you could feel the chassis improvements on road .. incremental rather than revolutionary but they were there...

but yes as alex has just confirmed, it was never on quick on track as the then management and other senior fellows were telling customers whilst in development.. not by a long shot in fact...

which brings us back to why do we buy these things when a dedicated track or race car and a road car where you can use much more of the percentage of its performance is a much more useful, suitable and cost effective solution.. !

i have asked myself this on many many occasions.. !
Quiet simply because they look cool and you can still somehow drive them on a road vs a real race car ;-) ...

1781 - 1800 of 1841 Posts