McLaren Life banner
1701 - 1716 of 1716 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
to put this in perspective, the Senna was 6s a lap slower than the 650GT3 around silverstone. and i said this in a half baked urban mode, no active aero etc etc.

and you should consider the source of the information, Aston press office and a youtuber who at least back then hardly knew which end of a car was the front of a car, maybe not the most reliable. LMP2 car pace was always
The ONLY reason Harris did the Senna vs 650GT3 car was that Mclarens then management (CEO, some of the share holders and others) claimed that the Senna would be quicker than a GT3 car around the track. Something that we thought was complete BS, because of slicks and more downforce in a GT3 car.
so if we now have a road car on road tyres that is as fast as a GT3 car in its most undeveloped road settings that is a massive accomplishment.
Have you run slicks on the Senna? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
have not. the whole point was that Flewitt and others claimed the Senna on road tyres woudl be quicker than the GT3 (on slicks). just not going to happen.
There does seem to be something out of wack when McLaren anyways. How TF is the Senna GTR slower than the 720 GT3X? How is it only a couple of seconds a lap faster than a normal GT3?

That said, Aston has moved the goalposts many many times. From being faster than F1, to faster than LMP2 on road tires, now to the reality that the AMR Pro is slower than LMP1.

Being faster than GT3 is a great accomplishment, the car is nuts, but for something that is essentially a time attack car on road tires (with similar reliability, lol), that's everything one would expect at minimum

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There does seem to be something out of wack when McLaren anyways. How TF is the Senna GTR slower than the 720 GT3X? How is it only a couple of seconds a lap faster than a normal GT3?

That said, Aston has moved the goalposts many many times. From being faster than F1, to faster than LMP2 on road tires, now to the reality that the AMR Pro is slower than LMP1.

Being faster than GT3 is a great accomplishment, the car is nuts, but for something that is essentially a time attack car on road tires (with similar reliability, lol), that's everything one would expect at minimum
The Senna GTR should probably have been faster than a 720GTX, But the GTX is based on the GT3,a car built by the motorsport team, tested to death and then a car that multiple teams have raced and developed and optimized setups for several years. the Senna GTR was a car built by Automobile and or MSO to a different brief, with limited testing and development as it was meant for gentlemen drivers that would never push it that hard.
and i doubt Duncan was pushing that hard on the laps he did, wasnt his car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Doesn't sound like the real deal, but it is a "customer" road car, registered to a Monaco's cars collector. I don't know what's going on, to be honest, but it's seems strange too me. Police are all over this car in Monaco, don't give a sh-t about what it is, but makes (even at that low speed) way too much noises for them and the population. Prepare for electric cars, those ICE cars will soon be banned from tourists places.
And I hope every tourist destination that chooses to ban any kind of car, ICE or otherwise, loses a massive amount of revenue. F'em.

I've accepted the fact that after many, many decades of wanting to see a symbiotic relationship between traffic cops (worldwide) and true car enthusiasts - it's just not going to happen. Most of them are dicks, not 'heros', sorry. While I dislike the 'loud crowd' showoff types during some exotic car meets (yes, you give the rest of us a bad name) these cars are not clapped out Subies with a fart can on the back. Relax there Ponch & John, no one is in danger of a nice car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Isn't the grating, whiny noise of the engine coming from the gear-driven camshafts and not the transmission?
I am pretty sure the straight cut transmission is the main culprit, but it's possible the gears driving the camshafts/pumps also contribute, as well as the electric motor. The T.50 also gets a bit of a whine at idle, although I am not sure if that's from the gears driving the camshafts or the ISG, or both. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as the Valkyrie, though, with the gearbox being the only other difference.

·
Administrator
3,148 Posts
like most things in life, key to satisfaction is to lower expectations. something that Aston seem to excel at. they have certainly managed to lower the expectations over the last 5 years.
Its really too bad as they used to produce some absolute track monsters
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
like most things in life, key to satisfaction is to lower expectations. something that Aston seem to excel at. they have certainly managed to lower the expectations over the last 5 years.
if you can control something it's worth being optimistic and struggling for the best, imo

obviously the customers aren't in control of what AM do, unfortunately

I'll be popping down to goodwood to have a look at the car anyhow :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
if you can control something it's worth being optimistic and struggling for the best, imo

obviously the customers aren't in control of what AM do, unfortunately

I'll be popping down to goodwood to have a look at the car anyhow :)
you should it is a remarkable car, and i am really looking forward to getting mine when they have eventually sorted it out ;)

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
278 Posts
Note sure if I missed this in all of this madness, but here is some track fun with it at Laguna...

1701 - 1716 of 1716 Posts