McLaren Life banner
1681 - 1700 of 1716 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
slightly off topic but it still makes me laugh that the Ferrari 360GT2 was quicker round ferraris circuit than the FXX / FXX EVO / 599XX despite their big power etc!
very different experience driving them. lap time is not everything or even the main thing for a track day tool

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds like a winch pulling up a pallet of something, at least on the video.
Not impossible if you ask me. Unfortunately, since Top Marques banned all driving tests of any kind during the event, Aston seems quite happy (heard from a future customer), to not break the rules and turned down all requests.
To be honest, I don't blame them for not putting the car on Monaco's roads, it's still mayhem down there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Doesn't sound like the real deal, but it is a "customer" road car, registered to a Monaco's cars collector. I don't know what's going on, to be honest, but it's seems strange too me. Police are all over this car in Monaco, don't give a sh-t about what it is, but makes (even at that low speed) way too much noises for them and the population. Prepare for electric cars, those ICE cars will soon be banned from tourists places.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
the ability of the road car is going aroudn silverstone on road tyres faster than a GT3 racing car on slicks, and that is the underveloped alpha version of urban mode, i.e. without any of the active aero working etc.
i'm really not worried about the ability of the car, it will blow everything else away by a mile.
now reliability of the car that is a different story
Originally wasn't it supposed to be going faster than LMP2 at Silverstone on road tires? Seem to recall JWW talking to the engineer about that...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The more I hear it on video, the less excited I am by the sound. First off, that sequential is terrible sounding, and doesn't even seem to shift all that fast. Second, every time I hear the car, even the AMR Pro, it just sounds loud. It doesn't have the savage howl of a V10 or the T.50, Matra V12, etc. Maybe it has to do with its displacement?

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,313 Posts
The more I hear it on video, the less excited I am by the sound. First off, that sequential is terrible sounding, and doesn't even seem to shift all that fast. Second, every time I hear the car, even the AMR Pro, it just sounds loud. It doesn't have the savage howl of a V10 or the T.50, Matra V12, etc. Maybe it has to do with its displacement?
Strange as I imagine it's near identical to the T50.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Originally wasn't it supposed to be going faster than LMP2 at Silverstone on road tires? Seem to recall JWW talking to the engineer about that...
to put this in perspective, the Senna was 6s a lap slower than the 650GT3 around silverstone. and i said the valkyrie did this in a half baked urban mode, no active aero etc etc.

and you should consider the source of the information, Aston press office and a youtuber who at least back then hardly knew which end of a car was the front of a car, maybe not the most reliable. LMP2 car pace was always an aspiration...
The ONLY reason Harris did the Senna vs 650GT3 car was that Mclarens then management (CEO, some of the share holders and others) claimed that the Senna would be quicker than a GT3 car around the track. Something that we thought was complete BS, because of slicks and more downforce in a GT3 car.
so if we now have a road car on road tyres that is as fast as a GT3 car in its most undeveloped road settings that is a massive accomplishment.

1681 - 1700 of 1716 Posts