McLaren Life banner
1661 - 1680 of 1716 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,313 Posts
Ok so will weigh around 3090lbs (or slightly more than a 765) for the road car.

And if the track version is 2300lbs dry, then add around 300lbs more for the fluids, so maybe around 2500-2600lbs (which is pretty cool).

Not terrible, but for the price and the EXTREMEly heinous ingress/egress, I could see that weight is a bit of a disappointment.

Still, it looks to be an amazing car. Will love to see owners running it on track and see how it does.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Ok so will weigh around 3090lbs (or slightly more than a 765) for the road car.

And if the track version is 2300lbs dry, then add around 300lbs more for the fluids, so maybe around 2500-2600lbs (which is pretty cool).

Not terrible, but for the price and the EXTREMEly heinous ingress/egress, I could see that weight is a bit of a disappointment.

Still, it looks to be an amazing car. Will love to see owners running it on track and see how it does.
Spider version easier ingress/egress :love:
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
😇

I think that a public announcement is in order... There are TWO versions of the Valkyrie. One is a road version that you can legally drive on the road. The other is the AMR Pro, which is track only. This is the AMR Pro! The AMR Pro is not road legal, has most of the hybrid system removed, has longer wheelbase, wider track, is lighter, has twice the downforce and is running on slicks.

The "Speed Phenom" kid also thinks he is looking at the road version and is quoting road version stats for the car as once claimed by AM. Those are completely inaccurate, though, as discussed many times in this thread. The road going Valkyrie weighs around 1400kg curb. The AMR Pro is claimed to be under 1000kg dry (or was at one point at least) but how much it really weighs nobody knows at the moment.
it also has all of the active aero from the road car removed. exaggerating a little bit but this is basically a LMP2 car with a different body kit and the valkyrie engine. A much simpler technical solution than the road car

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but the Valkyrie is awesome. Production problems, weight gains, Larry Stroll, reliability, and the myriad other issues, pale to insignificance imo, this thing blows every other hypercar completely away. I can't quite believe I'm saying it, but if it were a choice of either a road-going Valkyrie or @Mikeyb 's F1 car, I think I'd take the Valk. Pretty sure I wouldn't fit in either though, even if my pockets were deep enough! 😭
ill call you when I have them out on the same day ;-). The. We can make an objective decision.

am confident the single seater will win. And it won’t be close.

unless we try and go shopping.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
ill call you when I have them out on the same day ;-). The. We can make an objective decision.

am confident the single seater will win. And it won’t be close.

unless we try and go shopping.
Lol. I don't doubt it! I'm talking about which one I'd rather own. I'm down to participate in the comparison at very short notice though! 👍

·
Registered
237 Posts
it also has all of the active aero from the road car removed. exaggerating a little bit but this is basically a LMP2 car with a different body kit and the valkyrie engine. A much simpler technical solution than the road car
It's almost as if they took the Valkyrie powertrain mule, which just so happens to also be based on an LMP2 chassis, and are reselling it as the "AMR Pro"

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
yep, that's what I mean by 'that would be pretty good'

makes me really skeptical about the abilities of the road going car
the ability of the road car is going aroudn silverstone on road tyres faster than a GT3 racing car on slicks, and that is the underveloped alpha version of urban mode, i.e. without any of the active aero working etc.
i'm really not worried about the ability of the car, it will blow everything else away by a mile.
now reliability of the car that is a different story

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
It's almost as if they took the Valkyrie powertrain mule, which just so happens to also be based on an LMP2 chassis, and are reselling it as the "AMR Pro"
its pretty standard way of approaching things.. a bundle of the mclaren special track editions proposed over the last few years have been outsourced to lmp2 constructors...

problem is when you do that a bunch of people who might be buying these things, tend to be familiar with what lies beneath as it were and therefore what the cost of that actually is, so when you propose a vastly inflated price in something that is not designed in house and sells for considerably less with a different badge and indeed you can actually race, its no wonder most of these projects are still born..

an LMP2 that you can race at Le mans is 500k euro (plus engine lease contract... ) .. doesn't take a rocket scientest..

·
Registered
13 Posts
the ability of the road car is going aroudn silverstone on road tyres faster than a GT3 racing car on slicks, and that is the underveloped alpha version of urban mode, i.e. without any of the active aero working etc.
i'm really not worried about the ability of the car, it will blow everything else away by a mile.
now reliability of the car that is a different story
that's reassuring :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
its pretty standard way of approaching things.. a bundle of the mclaren special track editions proposed over the last few years have been outsourced to lmp2 constructors...

problem is when you do that a bunch of people who might be buying these things, tend to be familiar with what lies beneath as it were and therefore what the cost of that actually is, so when you propose a vastly inflated price in something that is not designed in house and sells for considerably less with a different badge and indeed you can actually race, its no wonder most of these projects are still born..

an LMP2 that you can race at Le mans is 500k euro (plus engine lease contract... ) .. doesn't take a rocket scientest..
My comment was mostly in response to the media coverage on the car so far which is largely (willfully?) ignorant of the underlying origins of the car and all seems to be regurgitating the Aston Martin PR team's F1/LMP level performance claim without the numbers to actually back it up. I am not in the price bracket for these limited edition track specials so I am not too familiar with the people buying these cars but with Aston's marketing push with ride alongs it seems to me they are looking outside the typical more informed customer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My comment was mostly in response to the media coverage on the car so far which is largely (willfully?) ignorant of the underlying origins of the car and all seems to be regurgitating the Aston Martin PR team's F1/LMP level performance claim without the numbers to actually back it up. I am not in the price bracket for these limited edition track specials so I am not too familiar with the people buying these cars but with Aston's marketing push with ride alongs it seems to me they are looking outside the typical more informed customer.
Exactly the point I made since several months, that confusion is clearly maintained by Aston PR department, confusing journalists and all almighty YouTubers, who get to see that car on track and digress about the upcoming “road car” That will be following sooner than later. I’m not going back to the supposed performance of the road car, it’s anyone guess a that date, but I certainly sure hope that MikeyB is right, that car is stunning.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,313 Posts
Shmee did a good job there.

The car looks like a complete disaster from any livability standpoint. I get this is the track car, so I’m hoping the road car is less brutal. But the Driver and passenger, getting in and out, the tight packaging within, what looks like terrible visibility from the windshield, The shaking, it just looks brutal. If it’s a major harbinger of what the road car will do, this is only ostensibly a road car.

On the other hand, the performance of this thing just looked really unbelievable. I really do believe Shmee when he was saying he has to re-calibrate his brain to try and digest what he experienced. That really did look next level. truly pinnacle level. Looks like a hit.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Shmee did a good job there.

The car looks like a complete disaster from any livability standpoint. I get this is the track car, so I’m hoping the road car is less brutal. But the Driver and passenger, getting in and out, the tight packaging within, what looks like terrible visibility from the windshield, The shaking, it just looks brutal. If it’s a major harbinger of what the road car will do, this is only ostensibly a road car.

On the other hand, the performance of this thing just looked really unbelievable. I really do believe Shmee when he was saying he has to re-calibrate his brain to try and digest what he experienced. That really did look next level. truly pinnacle level. Looks like a hit.
this is NOT the road car on slicks. this a LMP2 car with a valkyrie engine. a volkswagen golf and a 911 probalby has more commonality than these two.
a P1 GTR is basically a P1 with slicks
Same for the Laf and FXXK, same car, same underpinnings, same engine, same gearbox, just a different body shell and some slicks.
the multimatic LMP2 car where they have shoved a Valkyrie engine in and put on a new body shell really has nothing to do with the roadgoing valkyrie.

the only reason Tim would need to recalibrate his brain is that it is seldom a race car has a passenger seat

·
Registered
13 Posts
this is NOT the road car on slicks. this a LMP2 car with a valkyrie engine. a volkswagen golf and a 911 probalby has more commonality than these two.
a P1 GTR is basically a P1 with slicks
Same for the Laf and FXXK, same car, same underpinnings, same engine, same gearbox, just a different body shell and some slicks.
the multimatic LMP2 car where they have shoved a Valkyrie engine in and put on a new body shell really has nothing to do with the roadgoing valkyrie.
slightly off topic but it still makes me laugh that the Ferrari 360GT2 was quicker round ferraris circuit than the FXX / FXX EVO / 599XX despite their big power etc!

1661 - 1680 of 1716 Posts