McLaren Life banner
1561 - 1580 of 1623 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
its kinda the point Zombie... GMA have managed to hit the weight spec... Newey is capable of the same, no doubt.. its just that Aston have decided for whatever reason to not go completely down that route it sounds like..
one of the first things Stroll and Moers did when they looked at the Valkyrie project was to cut cost and weight increased.
But even before that, cost overruns where very much driven by poor project management by the AM people. Newey is used to a cycle of continous development (F1 cars) and unlimited budget, so trying to pin him down on final specs was never going to be easy, but still an area where AM failed badly
i think the cost savings from using pigiron instead of titanium is greater than a previous poster implied.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The way it goes, I won’t be surprise if Adrian Newey and RB disapprove this car and won’t have their names attached to it in any way.
I have a strange feeling about the outcome of this car, weigh and lap time might be way out of what was promised, and furthermore, the AMG ONE may overshadows it sooner than later.

Interesting time to live in!
they have already done that, but newey and horner also have two of the early cars coming to them... Odds on them being tweaked and improved by RB? ;)
AMG One, developed by the same guy that is failing at AM? Mercedes obviously has greater resources, so the car will be done and much more practical than the Valkyrie, but better?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
This brings up a really interesting comparison to the T50. Gordan apparently has pulled off the under 1000kg claim. His car is a "mini" hybrid with the starter motor bit, and it has a fan thrown in. V12 from the same company. He was able to pull it off. Frankly, when I think about it, ONLY, Gordan has pulled these weights off. Everyone else has been stuck around the 3200lb (real with liquids) weight level for a decade now. What the hell is Gordan doing that the rest cannot figure out.

One of the old "easy" weights I've been advocating for a long time are the horrible wiring harnesses, which I guesstimate might have 200lbs-300lbs of weight savings. As far as I know, only McLaren has done away with it and gone to a fiberoptic ethernet solution (if done right with old school termination, this can be a point to point component arrangement rather than the current hub spoke mess), and any savings there were probably necessary and eaten up by batteries. Without the batteries, perhaps the Artura could have brought the down to, say, the 2900lb level. But it would still be 6 cylinders, 1 seat, 1 fan (who's complexity adds weight) and 700lbs short of the Gordan mark. What the hell is he doing with that car, filling it with helium?
well the T50 is a really small car and its straight forward analogue tech in many parts ... I guess that is where a lot of weight savings comes from

·
Registered
65 Posts
Meh... How about you get those road legal cars working Larry...
Speaking of which, any updates on the road car delivery situation? Have they delivered any more cars other than the initial 10? And have the recalled cars been fixed and sent back yet? It's now been over 4 months since they "started production"...

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Speaking of which, any updates on the road car delivery situation? Have they delivered any more cars other than the initial 10? And have the recalled cars been fixed and sent back yet? It's now been over 4 months since they "started production"...
Last I heard 18 road cars had been "delivered". 12 of the 18 apparently are still sitting at dealerships as they don't run properly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What everyone is trying to say is that Aston neither has the engineering chops or desire to carry through in truly making these cars what the original people involved intended. Larry & Co. are more concerned with 1.) His shoes 2.) F1 pics of his kid & 3.) Promoting his useless 707hp pig of an SUV so the Jones' can tongue-in-cheek with the Tesla crowd how 'fast' their newest dog taxi can impress the 10 year old next door.

1561 - 1580 of 1623 Posts