McLaren Life banner
1281 - 1289 of 1289 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Best road legal forever...in all aspects, at least for me :)
'...in all aspects'.

Let's think about some of the criteria that are relevant to road cars and that we know about the Valkyrie without even driving it:
  • Ramp angle - terrible
  • Ground clearance - bad
  • Maneuverability in tight spaces/parking - bad
  • Storage/carrying capacity - terrible
  • Passenger space - bad
  • Ease of entry/egress - terrible
  • Ease of service/repair - bad
  • Ability to approach and experiment with the car's limits in a public environment - terrible
  • Aesthetics - poor (I use 'aesthetics' rather than 'looks' in an attempt to differentiate between judgment and taste. For an analogy, I know what music I like, but I don't know anything about music, and thus my opinion on the underlying quality of a musical piece or performer is worthless. Just as I like certain music, plenty of people like the look of the Valkyrie, but as an aesthetic effort, although there are some nice individual lines (side line across front and rear fenders; rear/diffuser), the overall effect is ruined by the awkward, disproportionate side apertures and the ludicrous, hideous splitter.)

So with all those things going against it as a road car, and the fact (I am rather confident) that you have not driven one on a public road yourself, how can you say that it is 'the best'? Yes, it might be the fastest, but being the fastest road-legal car is a bit like being Usain Bolt standing in the supermarket check-out line.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
'...in all aspects'.

Let's think about some of the criteria that are relevant to road cars and that we know about the Valkyrie without even driving it:
One your best posts ever New Britain! I loved it!

I’m trying to imagine how uncomfortable and claustrophobic driving that car would be after seeing the Goodwood driver just barely fitting in and knowing I’m 4 inches taller, and likely considerably wider, than he is. Even worse was when they stuffed in another (also 5’8”) passenger in and the two smaller men were trying their hardest to avoid each other. What a mess! They should have made it a single seater with the driver in the center but that would have made it an even less practical road car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
'...in all aspects'.

• Ramp angle - terrible
  • Ground clearance - bad
  • Passenger space - bad
  • Ability to approach and experiment with the car's limits in a public environment - terrible
  • Aesthetics - poor (I use 'aesthetics' rather than 'looks' in an attempt to differentiate between judgment and taste. For an analogy, I know what music I like, but I don't know anything about music, and thus my opinion on the underlying quality of a musical piece or performer is worthless. Just as I like certain music, plenty of people like the look of the Valkyrie, but as an aesthetic effort, although there are some nice individual lines (side line across front and rear fenders; rear/diffuser), the overall effect is ruined by the awkward, disproportionate side apertures and the ludicrous, hideous splitter.)

So with all those things going against it as a road car, and the fact (I am rather confident) that you have not driven one on a public road yourself, how can you say that it is 'the best'? Yes, it might be the fastest, but being the fastest road-legal car is a bit like being Usain Bolt standing in the supermarket check-out line.
All true points, but its not something we havent seen in the automotive world before nor something that stops people from getting one... lol The Italian supercars from the good ol days with limited room, bad ergonomics, breath like air conditioning, temperamental mechanicals all sound similar. If we just think of these as just simply expensive toys, then all of those points dont matter as much... at least until the next latest and greatest toy release...

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
All true points, but its not something we havent seen in the automotive world before nor something that stops people from getting one... lol The Italian supercars from the good ol days with limited room, bad ergonomics, breath like air conditioning, temperamental mechanicals all sound similar. If we just think of these as just simply expensive toys, then all of those points dont matter as much... at least until the next latest and greatest toy release...
Yes, there are similarities, but I don't think it's the same.
In the era to which you refer, let's say 1980s-90s, roads were less congested and speed enforcement was less comprehensive than today. The condition of the roads was better, and the cars were narrower. That is to say, there was more scope for actually driving a sports car, rather than merely touring in it.
The older cars had manual gearboxes, minimal downforce if not actual lift, tyres were massively less grippy, and the engines were only a third as powerful as they are today. That is to say, the speeds obtainable were nowhere near where they are in a Valkyrie, Project One, and the like.
At the same time, however, pedestrians walk at the same pace as they used to do, cyclists ride at the same pace, little old ladies, soccer moms, and eighteen-wheelers drive at the same pace as they did before - except that there are more of them within the same finite road space than before. Unless I am very much mistaken, human reaction time has not materially evolved from what it used to be either, and that applies both to drivers and to their potential victims.
So it comes back to: what is anybody going to do with this thing? It's a free world, and I have no problem with somebody who has never been closer to a race track than on his Playstation but made a ton of money as a software geek and now wants to live vicariously through his car. That's cool, although I hope he doesn't ever drive it near somebody I care about. His should keep his Valkyrie tucked in his garage, show it to his pals, and post images of it on his Instagram account, but please don't let him imagine that he knows how to drive it or that he should treat it in any way different from a loaded gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'...in all aspects'.

• Ramp angle - terrible
  • Ground clearance - bad
  • Passenger space - bad

Everyone have their own, for me all aspects...for you not. It is same like compare girls, someone say it is most beautiful for someone ugly...same with cars.

I love idea of Valkyrie, its best in all and forever. Absolutely. There will no better car like this. And I think everyone km of driving will with biggest smile on face for everyone owner of this car.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
So it comes back to: what is anybody going to do with this thing? It's a free world, and I have no problem with somebody who has never been closer to a race track than on his Playstation but made a ton of money as a software geek and now wants to live vicariously through his car. That's cool, although I hope he doesn't ever drive it near somebody I care about. His should keep his Valkyrie tucked in his garage, show it to his pals, and post images of it on his Instagram account, but please don't let him imagine that he knows how to drive it or that he should treat it in any way different from a loaded gun.
I would have given you a "like", but us "software geeks" have to stick together ..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I would have given you a "like", but us "software geeks" have to stick together ..
I can't blame you for that! ;)
One of my very best friends calls himself a 'software (or internet) geek', yet he and I raced as teammates for many years, he's had a lifelong passion for cars and motorbikes, he's a true car guy.

I was aware when I wrote 'software geek' that it was not the right term, but I was too lazy to be more precise. What I had in mind were the people in the internet business who woke up one morning to find themselves having billions of dollars to piss away on whatever they liked and decided to piss away some of it on fast cars, despite the fact that they couldn't tell the difference between a gearbox and a shoe box. As we know, unfortunately a large percentage of the market for exotic cars is made up of people who want either a quick, superficial thrill or an ostentatious symbol to impress their friends, but they don't know how to drive and aren't prepared to learn.

1281 - 1289 of 1289 Posts