McLaren Life banner
461 - 465 of 465 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I'm now more the type which has trouble with the design leap from 650S to 720S, I do not like the 720S to this day. In the Artura I now see much more the (design) successor of the 650S, I like it much better than a 720S. To my eye, the Arture is the most beautiful McLaren to date. But tastes really do vary, and that's a good thing.
I agree the Artura is beautiful. It certainly is their most conventional looking supercar and I mean that as a positive thing because it’s supposed to be their main volume carrier the way 570S was. But I think it really ups the game from 570S in styling, gadgetry, performance and value. I’m super excited for it as the bridge to their future.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree the Artura is beautiful. It certainly is their most conventional looking supercar and I mean that as a positive thing because it’s supposed to be their main volume carrier the way 570S was. But I think it really ups the game from 570S in styling, gadgetry, performance and value. I’m super excited for it as the bridge to their future.
With "conventional car" you have described it very aptly. The Artura shows in an unspectacular way how harmonious and unique the McLaren design language actually is. While for example the 296 GTB uses various design elements from the Ferrari history (for example, the 250 GTO-bow over the rear wheels), the Arturo is a simple and immediately as a McLaren recognizable car. It strikes me as very harmonious, balanced and yet unique. And since the countless aerodynamic features that are so fashionable today are missing (holes and wings distributed over the entire car), the car appears to be of very high quality. I was also able to look at and touch the Artura in the showroom, this impression was confirmed to me. No striving for new nonsensical horsepower records, simply a technically superior car packaged in a mature design. I appreciate this approach very much. I hope the car will be a success, for me McLaren has done a very good job here.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can see why you’d say that. I really liked the shape of the 570 and when I went back and looked at the two cars and closely compared them it feels like they significantly improved on the 570 styling.

Examples: got rid of the sleepy looking black “eyeshadow” around the lights. Old lights look like owl eyes, new light layout much improved and more aggressive. Got rid of the external part of the scoop that stuck out of the side of the car like and replaced it with something that look properly integrated and nicely sculptured. Likewise at the rear of the car they got rid of the bow-tie lights and make the whole rear of the car far more aggressive and far more “supercar” in appearance. They kept the flying buttresses which were always a cool feature!

If you look at all those exterior detail changes and a completely new interior, new engine, PHEV system, and improved gadgetry it’s really a much newer take than it appears at first and certainly way more upgrade than Ferrari has done from 458 all the way through to the F8!

I’ve ordered one and I’m super excited to drive it!
we need to compare notes, i ordered the 296GTB instead. seem to me to be a more interesting proposition.
and your reasons for ordering the Artura are pretty much exactly why i wouldnt consider one..... ;) at least until the spider version is out.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
we need to compare notes, i ordered the 296GTB instead. seem to me to be a more interesting proposition.
and your reasons for ordering the Artura are pretty much exactly why i wouldnt consider one..... ;) at least until the spider version is out.
Looking forward to comparing notes! I put a deposit down on the 296 GTB as well but you'll likely get yours far earlier than I'll get mine as Ferrari tends to release the cars about 6 months earlier in UK/Europe.

461 - 465 of 465 Posts