441 - 460 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
@Vorais
“The chip gets discarded with the tire.

All that definitely says these chips are not replaceable/swappable”

—————

Yes that was my concern for raising this issue — track users that like to run a different set of wheels and tires will not have on display console access to TPMS data if they use non OEM tires. And if they use OEM tires that wear out after a few track days then they will have to pay the cost not only of the tire but the “included” new sensor chips.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
470 Posts
I noticed today that MSO added the option on the configurator for CF rear spoiler at the corners...
it really looks nice against the vast expanse of that huge rear clamshell!

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
625 Posts
That ought to squeeze it to the ground just fine.

Reactions: Bob_D

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Wonder if McLaren could add an app for our mobile phones to act as a bluetooth key fob?

Automotive Ethernet
The Artura marks the debut of several technologies at McLaren, including advanced driver-assistance systems such as radar-enhanced adaptive cruise control, over-the-air software updates, and Pirelli Cyber Tire tire-monitoring technology. None of these features is particularly new, but they're just being added now, in part because adding them via conventional copper wiring threatened to add too much weight. But by adopting the industry's first "zonal domain-based ethernet architecture," the total amount of traditional copper wire cabling is reduced by 25 percent, which dropped the mass of the electrical system by more than 10 percent and helped offset the weight of adding those established technologies.
Four central controllers (down from 12 on the 720 S) are positioned in key areas around the car to control nearby loads and systems, with data shared over the central backbone that is this twisted pair ethernet network, with overall processing power increased substantially. The system is said to be future-proofed to allow new features to be added more easily, with 70 percent of the system's modules upgradable over the air.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Anyone get a call about test drive dates? They told me September-ish, but seems like the car will be ready a lot sooner than that.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
was it in EV mode the whole time?
really does look like a 570 or a GT with a few design cues from the 720
It is a short run up Goodwood so I assume that the EV would be active as needed during the run. ‘671 hp (500 kW) at 7,500 rpm and 720 N⋅m (531 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2,250 rpm.’ The hp figure includes EV.

And congratulation on your recent win, great job, watched on TV in USA :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
It is a short run up Goodwood so I assume that the EV would be active as needed during the run. ‘671 hp (500 kW) at 7,500 rpm and 720 N⋅m (531 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2,250 rpm.’ The hp figure includes EV.

And congratulation on your recent win, great job, watched on TV in USA :)
hopefully they will be able to get some more noise out of that car.. the benchmark for me is still the Alfa Giulia QF when it comes to turbo V6 engine noise.
and thanks, little bit closer than i would hve liked... ;)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
really does look like a 570 or a GT with a few design cues from the 720
Yeah, after I saw that video I really kinda felt underwhelmed by the design. I felt it looked way more like a 570S that I originally thought when it debuted.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think the 570 was a great looking car and I think the Artura improves on it quite nicely.
no disagreement there, i was maybe expecting a "brand new car/era" to have more of a departure in design. feels more like a 488 to F8 move designwise than say 650 to 720

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
no disagreement there, i was maybe expecting a "brand new car/era" to have more of a departure in design. feels more like a 488 to F8 move designwise than say 650 to 720
How a car looks/appeals is a matter of taste. Frank S. seemed to like most of the Artura looks - has a few areas that he thought could be improved.

The “brand new car/era” I think has more to do with the technical aspects of the Artura - the sandwich EV motor, the new electrical bus and control systems, new rear suspension, E-diff, Elva binnacle controls and screen etc.

For daily driving the EV motor green light torque should be good - yes there will be much better soon but this seems to be a reasonable start …

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm now more the type which has trouble with the design leap from 650S to 720S, I do not like the 720S to this day. In the Artura I now see much more the (design) successor of the 650S, I like it much better than a 720S. To my eye, the Arture is the most beautiful McLaren to date. But tastes really do vary, and that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I can see why you’d say that. I really liked the shape of the 570 and when I went back and looked at the two cars and closely compared them it feels like they significantly improved on the 570 styling.

Examples: got rid of the sleepy looking black “eyeshadow” around the lights. Old lights look like owl eyes, new light layout much improved and more aggressive. Got rid of the external part of the scoop that stuck out of the side of the car like and replaced it with something that look properly integrated and nicely sculptured. Likewise at the rear of the car they got rid of the bow-tie lights and make the whole rear of the car far more aggressive and far more “supercar” in appearance. They kept the flying buttresses which were always a cool feature!

If you look at all those exterior detail changes and a completely new interior, new engine, PHEV system, and improved gadgetry it’s really a much newer take than it appears at first and certainly way more upgrade than Ferrari has done from 458 all the way through to the F8!

I’ve ordered one and I’m super excited to drive it!

441 - 460 of 465 Posts