McLaren Life banner

261 - 280 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I’ve never had a vehicle with any sort of electrification of the drive train. Heck, my first cars had roll up windows and no AC.

So with the Artura will it be customary to plug it in pretty much every time you get home or another destination if possible? Most of us already plug in to maintain the battery, I’d assume that would be achieved by just the one plug in.

Will we need a charging station at home then?

I had wondered if there would be any sort of regenerative braking. Will this performance and lightweight oriented approach do that?
For an EV the charging rate depends upon what power is used to source the charger. If you have a 40-50 amp 220V source the charging rate is much quicker than if you source from a 110V 20 amp wall socket. My assumption is that this would apply to the Artura charger.
And yes the Altura has regenerative braking along with alternator type charging from the ICE. Which would maintain a charged battery when used frequently.
But as you suggest I suspect most McLaren owners will plug in to ‘maintain’ the battery .... force of habit 😃

·
Registered
499 Posts
For an EV the charging rate depends upon what power is used to source the charger. If you have a 40-50 amp 220V source the charging rate is much quicker than if you source from a 110V 20 amp wall socket. My assumption is that this would apply to the Artura charger.
And yes the Altura has regenerative braking along with alternator type charging from the ICE. Which would maintain a charged battery when used frequently.
But as you suggest I suspect most McLaren owners will plug in to ‘maintain’ the battery .... force of habit
Artura does not have regenerative braking.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Artura does not have regenerative braking.
Oops. You are correct .....
“While the majority of hybrids and EVs use regenerative braking to send energy back to the battery, McLaren intentionally left this out of the Artura. "There is no function to regenerate the battery through the vehicle's braking system," McLaren said in a statement. "The engine can provide sufficient charging, and this ensures feel through the brake pedal is entirely consistent."
Tesla experience doesn’t count .... 😂

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
How many realise the i.c. engine is located over the rear axle but the Hybrid engine forward of the axle. Do you consider this a mid engine car? What are the consequences of the two engines location?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
How many realise the i.c. engine is located over the rear axle but the Hybrid engine forward of the axle. Do you consider this a mid engine car? What are the consequences of the two engines location?
I don’t see any turbos in the photo, just the transmission and electric motor connection — the turbos are mounted in the 120 degree V.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I had the same thought first but the Engine block is not pictured - what you see is just the EV system - the V6TT sits in front of that

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Artura IS a mid engined car. That picture is (according to the McLaren press pack) the hybrid system.
The highlighted components are the gearbox, including the electric motor, and (much further forward) the battery.
The internal combustion engine is not highlighted in this picture, but is located in the conventional position.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The Artura IS a mid engined car. That picture is (according to the McLaren press pack) the hybrid system.
The highlighted components are the gearbox, including the electric motor, and (much further forward) the battery.
The internal combustion engine is not highlighted in this picture, but is located in the conventional position.
My bad, now I can see it as you say. Thanks

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I had the same thought first but the Engine block is not pictured - what you see is just the EV system - the V6TT sits in front of that

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I don’t see any turbos in the photo, just the transmission and electric motor connection — the turbos are mounted in the 120 degree V.

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wow, car is already at the dealer in California? I just stopped by my dealer and they said they didn't really have much info yet and didn't expect to have a car until late Summer.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Like Apple Play access for Waze/ Maps navigation, and like the separate button for Lift (not at end of stalk). Also the new location for seat adjustment. :) Not sure what the ? button is for.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wow, car is already at the dealer in California? I just stopped by my dealer and they said they didn't really have much info yet and didn't expect to have a car until late Summer.

they shipped some out to places where Covid does not totally limit showing

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Lane departure warning on/off
Seat switch is also a different design for comfort seat - _/
Thank you.
Do you know what additional adjustments (raise, lower, forward, back) the club sport seat with lumbar adjustment has?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you.
Do you know what additional adjustments (raise, lower, forward, back) the club sport seat with lumbar adjustment has?
The lumbar support can increase/decrease and move up/down. The movement is the same as the base clubsport - manual fire/aft and then the assymetric rocker function to adjust backrest angle/squab height

·
Registered
157 Posts
Saw/sat in it today here in NJ. Electronics weren't on so I couldn't play with that. The cblubsport seats were more comfortable than I expected.

Two biggest improvements over the 570:
  • Nose lift has its own separate button!
  • No more "leaf catchers", the intake vents are shallow and easier to keep clean!
What more can anyone ask for??

261 - 280 of 332 Posts