McLaren Life banner

241 - 260 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The electric motor decouples at higher speeds so the discharge on track would occur during acceleration out of slower speed corners. The regen occurring during braking and higher speeds. So yes guess we will have to wait for more data on track usage.
My thinking is that most Artura will not see much usage on tracks - so the 15 seconds for road performance is probably a good compromise (at least for USA :) )
well I don't really know how they integrated it but somehow the wording makes me wonder that the E machine is not able to provide 95hp for any decent time (above 15sec) but needs to run on 50hp mode besides a short boost function ...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
well I don't really know how they integrated it but somehow the wording makes me wonder that the E machine is not able to provide 95hp for any decent time (above 15sec) but needs to run on 50hp mode besides a short boost function ...
Yes in E mode, in order to get any reasonable range, the output HP would need to be reduced. And I’m not sure if cooling of the batteries and E motor are part of the 15 seconds limitation.
So I guess the test we need to have done is autobahn overtaking in 15 second bursts - how many till battery no longer provides extra boost!

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 209525

So it has 635hp regular and NOT 680hp ... than no way its as fast as the 600LT or 720s with the added weight i guess
My understanding is that full boost is 15 seconds and this is available again after a few seconds. You don't have to park the car or start it again to get the full boost again. You shouldn't be able to feel the difference irl from what I've been told.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes in E mode, in order to get any reasonable range, the output HP would need to be reduced. And I’m not sure if cooling of the batteries and E motor are part of the 15 seconds limitation.
So I guess the test we need to have done is autobahn overtaking in 15 second bursts - how many till battery no longer provides extra boost!
not how I understand it from what they write ... its not like you get 15s 680hp than you are 2-3s off the throttle and you get another 15s and so on ... to me it sounds like you get 680hp once for 15s and than continue driving at 635hp till the system is recharged, or cooled down or sth. ... it does not sound like this will be available again within some seconds from what they write ...

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
522 Posts
People get so fixated on a car being a fraction of a second ”better” than something else. Heck it’s still outrageous fast unless we are truly racing. I hardly do that any more.

Makes me think of saying my girl is better in bed than yours. It’s sex either way, a good way to spend time. And if you are decently endowed all should be happy.

If I go from our 720 to an Artura will I be suffering from being late everywhere I go?

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
not how I understand it from what they write ... its not like you get 15s 680hp than you are 2-3s off the throttle and you get another 15s and so on ... to me it sounds like you get 680hp once for 15s and than continue driving at 635hp till the system is recharged, or cooled down or sth. ... it does not sound like this will be available again within some seconds from what they write ...
Yes. It could be the 15 seconds applies to say a launch type acceleration 0- 205 mph. But if you are already at speed then the EV cut out would occur in much less than 15 seconds as you would quickly exceed the speed limit of the EV motor. So it is possible that multiple sub 15 second assists could be used.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
People get so fixated on a car being a fraction of a second ”better” than something else. Heck it’s still outrageous fast unless we are truly racing. I hardly do that any more.

Makes me think of saying my girl is better in bed than yours. It’s sex either way, a good way to spend time. And if you are decently endowed all should be happy.

If I go from our 720 to an Artura will I be suffering from being late everywhere I go?
Well the thing that annoys me is that 680hp is misleading ... I don't care about 0.2-0.3s this makes the car faster or not. But this hp number than somehow is kind of the same what Ferrari is doing with the SF90 (Qualifying Mode etc.) they also claim that the car has over 1000hp when in reality it has mostly below 900 bc the over 1000 are only available for a very shot time - however longer than 15seconds

When Porsche sold the Sport Chrono package to the 997 and later they never claimed the added hp as the cars real power but always said this is kind of a boost available if you activate it ...

I just don't like McLaren suddenly seeing the need to make misleading claims about performance (as they word it in the driving modes description the cars usual power is 635 - it may once or maybe several times get to 680hp - but this is not the normal power rating for e.g.. half an hour on track if I understand correctly as the system is only available very short time and than needs some time to recharge, cool down etc. )

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Yes the addition of the electric motor power to the ICE motor power is difficult because the torque curve for the EV goes down as revolutions increase while the ICE torque increases up to close to the rev limit.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes the addition of the electric motor power to the ICE motor power is difficult because the torque curve for the EV goes down as revolutions increase while the ICE torque increases up to close to the rev limit.
yes Porsche even disengaged the front E machine on the 918 to safe them from overheating ... in high speed tests you could see the car suddenly significantly slowing down acceleration above 265kph bc the 130hp from the front E machine were missing ...

btw 15s is really not much if you think about it ... a 1/4 mile (10-11s) works, but already a 1/2 mile would be beyond full power ... that basically means that on a big track with some long straights the car would even if the system is recharged within seconds cut power before you reach the brake point at the end of each of the straights ...

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
81 Posts
As someone who is looking at used 720s... this car is appealing at its price considering the benefits of buying brand new vs out of warranty 2nd market

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,330 Posts
Over-the-air software updates...that seems like it will be huge. Does Apple CarPlay allow Waze to show on the IRIS screen?
yes it does. But more importantly, Apple Maps in the next is is adding waze report cop and road hazard features, and if it wORKS as well as waze, I will be dumping waze.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Battery is 7.4kWh. No way it's dead after 15s of full throttle. That's like 1/10 the kWh of normal EVs and those don't lose 10% of the charge after 15s of full throttle. My guess is that it's just a cooling issue.

I don't think 15s of usage would be that much of a problem. I mean, 15s of full throttle would be going like 170mph or something, i.e. straight line. I'm guessing that you generally would have full power under normal driving conditions where the amount of throttle is varied. 3s here, 3s there, 4s here, 2s there. At some point it would naturally be depleted though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
yes it does. But more importantly, Apple Maps in the next is is adding waze report cop and road hazard features, and if it wORKS as well as waze, I will be dumping waze.
I guess it comes to how popular the nav version is. With WAZE I feel like I am being supported by lots of Wazers around giving us all info.

Reactions: Bob_D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Battery is 7.4kWh. No way it's dead after 15s of full throttle. That's like 1/10 the kWh of normal EVs and those don't lose 10% of the charge after 15s of full throttle. My guess is that it's just a cooling issue.

I don't think 15s of usage would be that much of a problem. I mean, 15s of full throttle would be going like 170mph or something, i.e. straight line. I'm guessing that you generally would have full power under normal driving conditions where the amount of throttle is varied. 3s here, 3s there, 4s here, 2s there. At some point it would naturally be depleted though.
One would assume so, but that is not how McLaren writes it in the description on the modes ...

You usually use full power if you accelerate after a corner and floor the pedal - on a track that is normally till you reach the brake point unless you modulate throttle - sth that @unmac writes about for many tracks which dont have perfect straights or were you hold momentum or accelerate through corners etc. ... however the normal way on track is floor it till you brake not like floor it 2-3s than not than again etc. ...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
One would assume so, but that is not how McLaren writes it in the description on the modes ...

You usually use full power if you accelerate after a corner and floor the pedal - on a track that is normally till you reach the brake point unless you modulate throttle - sth that @unmac writes about for many tracks which dont have perfect straights or were you hold momentum or accelerate through corners etc. ... however the normal way on track is floor it till you brake not like floor it 2-3s than not than again etc. ...
True, but this isn't a race car and not designed as such. 99% of Arturas (and McLarens in general) will never even see a track. No point in really designing around it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
True, but this isn't a race car and hybrids will never be able to go full-tilt constantly on a track. I could be wrong, but even LMP cars have limited electric power at any given time.
LMP1 power is Limited by how much they are allowed kWh to consume per lap ... it’s not that they could not use more power they are simply restricted to not get even faster.

it’s not about going Full tilt or not - the Full tilt on the Arturo is 635hp and that is what the car will have all the time - same as the SF90 has if I remember correctly with it’s 875hp but is claimed to be 1000+Hp ...

it is just both these cars kind of have a boost for special application (for the Arturo that seems to be a 1/4 mile, for the SF90 it’s the Qualifying mode for about 1 lap) ... therefore it’s not really like you get a 680 or 1000+hp car as conditions apply and you can only use that power once in a while ...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I’ve never had a vehicle with any sort of electrification of the drive train. Heck, my first cars had roll up windows and no AC.

So with the Artura will it be customary to plug it in pretty much every time you get home or another destination if possible? Most of us already plug in to maintain the battery, I’d assume that would be achieved by just the one plug in.

Will we need a charging station at home then?

I had wondered if there would be any sort of regenerative braking. Will this performance and lightweight oriented approach do that?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I’ve never had a vehicle with any sort of electrification of the drive train. Heck, my first cars had roll up windows and no AC.

So with the Artura will it be customary to plug it in pretty much every time you get home or another destination if possible? Most of us already plug in to maintain the battery, I’d assume that would be achieved by just the one plug in.

Will we need a charging station at home then?

I had wondered if there would be any sort of regenerative braking. Will this performance and lightweight oriented approach do that?
Not from how i understand it. The charging is done while drive it. You can if you want a 100% charged car or need to use the 15miles EV mode before firing up the engine however put it on a charger ... if just driving it is enough to maintain a healthy battery needs to be seen, but I would assume the more you drive the less it would be an issue

241 - 260 of 332 Posts