McLaren Life banner
141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
with regard to more hp - adding on another +50hp with a tune and cat bypass pipes will be easy. Maybe +100-150hp with full exhaust and aftermarket turbos, maybe even up to +200-250hp with E85 tuning and fuel system upgrade is possible.
The V6 is a whole new platform. We don't know what is or isn't the weak link

·
Registered
209 Posts
with regard to more hp - adding on another +50hp with a tune and cat bypass pipes will be easy. Maybe +100-150hp with full exhaust and aftermarket turbos, maybe even up to +200-250hp with E85 tuning and fuel system upgrade is possible.
if you speak for the Ice only yes, BUT in combination with the elec motor, to change system output on a hybrid is not gonna be easy, as the whole system is pretty complex. You can not just increase ICE output without adapting a whole lot other things on the Elec powertrain and how the programation of those 2 powertrain are working together..Otherwise the whole system wouldnt work long and relaiable.
Good luck with Mclaren warrenty..

·
Registered
155 Posts
The C8 definitely punches above its weight class, and it’s a fantastic development. But I expect it to compete with BMW, Caymans, and some middle tier 911s. It’s ridiculous to suggest it’ll compete with McLaren. Now, the Z01 has big dreams, and I guess we’ll see, but until it’s more real than a Tesla roadster I don’t believe.
I have space in my new 5-car garage for a C8 or Z06 to go next to my other mid engine cars: Cayman GTS 4.0 and 570S. Have never particularly liked Corvettes, but this one deserves a chance perhaps...

I've even mistaken one for a McLaren in my rearview mirror - oops!

And for a hundred K it's just "write a check, take it to the track, and see what happens!"

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Artura has an 8 speed trans
Yes, thanks Captain Obvious. My point is that afaik, and I could be completely wrong in my assumption, all the current cars have the same 7 speed transmission, meaning that there are 540 horse power cars running the same transmission as 800 horse power cars, and additionally there are tuned cars running god knows how many horse power and torque without any apparent transmission issues. So, the question is, have McLaren installed a new 8 speed transmission which is only rated for the Artura power/torque specs, or have they specified a new 8 speed transmission which can handle the Artura engine and the output from future, more powerful models?

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
534 Posts
One thing I've yet to hear discussed is the recovery time of this electric motor... If the full 95HP is only available in fifteen second bursts, and then output drops to 49HP, how long before you get another burst at full output? Is that a heat dissipation thing? If so, would that time interval then be longer on a hot vs cool day?
Quoting myself seems a bit self-involved, so sorry, but still wondering: Has anyone heard anything about this?

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,313 Posts
Quoting myself seems a bit self-involved, so sorry, but still wondering: Has anyone heard anything about this?
I have not seen any of the reiviewers mention it and it's a very good question. I wonder if maybe McLaren chose the smaller HP electric engine purposefully as one where they could keep the battery well fed enough that those 95hp engines are always fully available.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Chris Harris:

Here is an excerpt that places the launch problems in context:

"I genuinely do not know if McLaren took a punt on launching a car it knew wasn’t ready to be tested, but I do know that it’s a special machine, because I spent a day ragging one the week before that launch event. And it neither failed to work nor caught fire. In fact, I came away thinking it was a car I’d like to own. This is surprising, because one side effect of such a protracted gestation is that I normally lose interest in machines that seem to have been around for ages but still don’t officially ‘exist’, and low-slung stuff like this feels like a young man’s game now anyway. But the powertrain is so clever in the way it deploys the electricity, I love the almost-flat-six sound, and on the road the chassis is a blinder - even if it has lost some of that uncanny McLaren suppleness. As for the steering, it’s like tasting real, Mexican sugar Coca-Cola after a month of drinking the new healthy rubbish: a genuine ‘wow, this is how things used to be’ moment.

And this is the cruel paradox of building and selling vastly complicated objects - three days after I’m blown-away by a car I’d expected to be indifferent towards, it all goes wrong in Spain. The number-pervs will say a 296 Ferrari is way faster, but that’s infantile chat - it’s crazy quick and it’s a more interesting and ambitious technical offering than the Ferrari. But has its ultimate potential been hampered by that troubled childhood, and should anyone in the market take what now looks like a massive risk buying one?

There is a very simple answer to that - yes, they damn well should. If people had been scared of things being a little temperamental there would be no Lamborghini and no Lotus - in fact, 50 years ago there would have been no car companies. Certainly Ferrari wouldn’t exist. Cars don’t always work when you want them to, that will never change. Anyone with the resources to spend £200k on one will probably have access to others, and all other chat is probably loaded with individual bias.

A car world with no McLaren isn’t one I want to live in. This isn’t charity - the brief exposure I’ve had to the Artura suggests that people who choose not to buy one on the back of McLaren’s horror-week will probably be missing out on a very special sports car. I now sound like the old farts who I used to despise when I was younger, but we all grow old and cuddly eventually. Only time will tell if the Artura is granted the same opportunity."

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yes would be interesting to hear his opinion on the hybrid weight in track cornering.
Separately the threat of a recession is a bad headwind for the Artura to be facing ….
Yeah, the timing is bad, very bad. I'm genuinely fearful. A car world with no McLaren isn’t one I want to live in.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Haha-Are you just flirting with Maserati :devilish:
I might trade the Phaeton for a Quattroporte at some point, but the last few days illustrates how I know I'll always own a McLaren, barring bankruptcy, theirs or mine. I suffered a puncture on Saturday, and I've been in a sort of mini depression state knowing the car is in the garage but I'm unable to drive it.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts