McLaren Life banner
121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I don't understand the 'not enough horsepower' criticism of the Artura. It has 100 hp and more torque than the 570S while only weighing about 100 lbs more Sure they could've specced more power from the electric setup but then that would've added more weight. McLaren's have always been the lightest cars in their class, so it makes sense to not compromise weight in search of more horsepower. Just look at the MC20. The Artura has 50 more horsepower and weighs about 400 lbs less.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Yeah I don't understand the 'not enough horsepower' criticism of the Artura. It has 100 hp and more torque than the 570S while only weighing about 100 lbs more Sure they could've specced more power from the electric setup but then that would've added more weight. McLaren's have always been the lightest cars in their class, so it makes sense to not compromise weight in search of more horsepower. Just look at the MC20. The Artura has 50 more horsepower and weighs about 400 lbs less.
Exactly. Who the hell needs any more than 680hp? Give me a 400lb weight saving every day of the week and twice on sunday. The power/weight ratio of this thing is already close to miraculous given current technology.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am kind of on his school of thought. But I lean the other way. Why even bother electrifying at those level. Think of where the weight could have been if that's what is important to you. Almost feels gimmicky and pointless. For the track drivers after initial 15 seconds if you are down to just 46 hp and whatever torque, would you prefer the hp or less complication and less weight? Lag would be basically a non factor driven balls to the wall.

But then again we don't know the characteristics of the motor without the electrical assist so who knows. I'll still test drive it in July, but not really keen on ordering one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It will be interesting once these get out in the wild, and we know there will be random race runs in "mexico" wonder if there will be a noticeable drop in pace if they do back to back runs. Fun stuff to look forward to when they get delivered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
with regard to more hp - adding on another +50hp with a tune and cat bypass pipes will be easy. Maybe +100-150hp with full exhaust and aftermarket turbos, maybe even up to +200-250hp with E85 tuning and fuel system upgrade is possible.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I am kind of on his school of thought. But I lean the other way. Why even bother electrifying at those level. Think of where the weight could have been if that's what is important to you. Almost feels gimmicky and pointless. For the track drivers after initial 15 seconds if you are down to just 46 hp and whatever torque, would you prefer the hp or less complication and less weight? Lag would be basically a non factor driven balls to the wall.

But then again we don't know the characteristics of the motor without the electrical assist so who knows. I'll still test drive it in July, but not really keen on ordering one.
Turbo lag.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
with regard to more hp - adding on another +50hp with a tune and cat bypass pipes will be easy. Maybe +100-150hp with full exhaust and aftermarket turbos, maybe even up to +200-250hp with E85 tuning and fuel system upgrade is possible.
Do you think a 296GTB 650HP ICE V6 could be mated with the McLaren axial motor and transmission? 😁

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you think a 296GTB 650HP ICE V6 could be mated with the McLaren axial motor and transmission? 😁
those scenarios I posted reflect what's already been done by tuners for the 12-4/650/720 powertrain. There's no reason to expect it won't be available for the Artura.

The key is Mclaren is using the hybrid for Torque Fill/turbo lag fill only - and that way not adding hundreds of pounds of weigh unnecessarily. Adding boost to the motor costs no weight penalty (weight savings typically bc you are using a lightweight exhaust system with no cats). It a very practical application of EV tech to a performance vehicle without the typical bloating

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
which day are you driving - Friday?or Saturday? .

I’ll be hanging out tomorrow with Navin at the test drives

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
534 Posts
It sounds as if you're waiting on the 720 replacement, not an Artura spider. This setup is already 100bhp up on the car it replaces.
So true, invisible, so true... but I'm already stretching the budget to dress up an Artura, and outside of my previously stated horsepower greed, I'm fairly certain that I will be very satisfied with this car, especially given that this will be my first supercar.

Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
So true, invisible, so true... but I'm already stretching the budget to dress up an Artura, and outside of my previously stated horsepower greed, I'm fairly certain that I will be very satisfied with this car, especially given that this will be my first supercar.
There's always tuning, if you love the horses sufficiently to give up your five year warranty!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
those scenarios I posted reflect what's already been done by tuners for the 12-4/650/720 powertrain. There's no reason to expect it won't be available for the Artura.

The key is Mclaren is using the hybrid for Torque Fill/turbo lag fill only - and that way not adding hundreds of pounds of weigh unnecessarily. Adding boost to the motor costs no weight penalty (weight savings typically bc you are using a lightweight exhaust system with no cats). It a very practical application of EV tech to a performance vehicle without the typical bloating
Yes I knew what you were talking about😀. But also I do think McLaren has really muddied the water with the removal of the ‘Sport’ classification. If the Artura were correctly labeled as a Sport Series Car then we would not be having these comparisons. Calling it a Super Car leads to comparisons with the 296GTB and the 720S and then the Artura has a deficit in power. Comparing to the 570 cars makes more sense to me …..

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Yes I knew what you were talking about😀. But also I do think McLaren has really muddied the water with the removal of the ‘Sport’ classification. If the Artura were correctly labeled as a Sport Series Car then we would not be having these comparisons. Calling it a Super Car leads to comparisons with the 296GTB and the 720S and then the Artura has a deficit in power. Comparing to the 570 cars makes more sense to me …..
Yeah, and I'm still not convinced by the move away from numbers, although I suppose it might have a positive effect on the horsepower contest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

"The engine responds instantly and it all seems properly dialled in, so much so that it could well be the McLaren of choice, even over higher models."

"We revelled in the tenacious levels of grip, superb power delivery and that communication that always feels as though you can change your mind mid corner and the Artura will simply oblige."

"It’s powerful, responsive, communicative and still has that everyday usability that was so inherent in the character of the MP4-12C."

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Yeah, and I'm still not convinced by the move away from numbers, although I suppose it might have a positive effect on the horsepower contest.
It’s not so much about the numbers, that departure is OK for me. It is the removal of a descriptive level that seems ill advised. McLaren dropping Sports Series has lead to this confusion with the Super Cars. Or do they plan to add something above Ultimate, Hyper etc 😂

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

"The engine responds instantly and it all seems properly dialled in, so much so that it could well be the McLaren of choice, even over higher models."

"We revelled in the tenacious levels of grip, superb power delivery and that communication that always feels as though you can change your mind mid corner and the Artura will simply oblige."

"It’s powerful, responsive, communicative and still has that everyday usability that was so inherent in the character of the MP4-12C."
"here’s the big revelation: it feels on a par with the Porsche 911 when it comes to not just steering feel, but the way the car seems to be balanced around a central point."

I'm guessing they've never driven a McLaren before..... This is hardly a revelation to those of us who've owned both 911s and McLarens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"here’s the big revelation: it feels on a par with the Porsche 911 when it comes to not just steering feel, but the way the car seems to be balanced around a central point."

I'm guessing they've never driven a McLaren before..... This is hardly a revelation to those of us who've owned both 911s and McLarens.
I think the statement needs clarification - it's on par with a 911 turbo, not a std 911. Which is a good thing!

121 - 140 of 179 Posts