McLaren Life banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What’s the insurance deductible for track incident ?

·
Owner
653 Posts
From my dealer :D -
You are price protected from the base price increase.

233,000 - New base price increase
225,000 - Your base price

Good to hear from you and let me know if you need anything else.
That makes me feel better. I hope the options are also locked in as well, the options alone would be an extra 10K under the new pricing.

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
All the quotes I have it’s around 10% of vehicle value
If I understand Sam correctly, though, this would not be a buy-yourself policy as it is if you're driving your own car. I opted for around 10% with OpenTrack, but if I remember correctly you can reduce that with an increased premium. Liability coverage is also important, repairing track damage isn't cheap.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you're driving one of their cars for the full day it does include full insurance and it's fine if you are on a US license, but it's also £4995 for the day with tuition.

The product experience one also includes full insurance, you get to drive a few cars for 20 minutes each and it starts at £1795.

If you're driving your own car there is no insurance included, it's £995 which sounds expensive but they don't require pre and post track inspections on Pure days so it works out around the same as a normal Silverstone track day and it also covers warranty for people with the extended warranty where track driving isn't included. You can get track insurance from a number of companies here in the UK, or some road policies also cover trackdays, I get 5 included for free on my normal insurance and can add more at £56 per day.
I have a little more intel on this, after speaking to McLaren. They provide what they're calling "third party insurance", so I've asked for clarification about whether that means the driver is the insured, and McLaren (and their car) are third parties. It's somewhat unclear to me at the moment. So far they've also been unable to give me any details on an excess/deductible.

I also asked about COTA this year, and they've yet to decide about the US, but they're looking at Miami later in the year!!! 😭 😭 😭

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Third party insurance" in the UK typically means that if you cause a crash the insurance will pay for the other persons repair by not for your car hence "third party" cover.

That sounds strange as my understanding of track is you're always responsible for damage to your car no matter the fault and hence can't claim against someone else as you signed a waver. If this is the case then the insurance is likely only to over track damage, but this is just guess work.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
"Third party insurance" in the UK typically means that if you cause a crash the insurance will pay for the other persons repair by not for your car hence "third party" cover.

That sounds strange as my understanding of track is you're always responsible for damage to your car no matter the fault and hence can't claim against someone else as you signed a waver. If this is the case then the insurance is likely only to over track damage, but this is just guess work.
Right, my thinking too. This is all the small print says, so I've asked for further clarification. In the US, the term is liability. Maybe they supply the third party insurance and self insure their own cars. I'd like to know for sure though. I'm thinking the credit card CDW coverage probably won't work... Lol

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Hope you get an answer, if you do make it and happen to be there on the 23rd of July, look out for a newbie in a Volcano Red 720s Spider and come say hi 😊
I'm booked! I'll be driving the Artura on the morning of the 23rd. Bit concerned about the possibility of rain though..... 😭

I didn't get a clear answer on the insurance. McLaren provide third party insurance, but they haven't answered my specific question about damage to the car itself. They did tell me that COTA is looking unlikely this year, they're looking at Miami instead which is a bit of a bummer!

·
Registered
87 Posts
What’s the insurance deductible for track incident ?
On my policy it’s 10% excess on track and £1,000 on road which is about the average for policies over here.

I have a little more intel on this, after speaking to McLaren. They provide what they're calling "third party insurance", so I've asked for clarification about whether that means the driver is the insured, and McLaren (and their car) are third parties. It's somewhat unclear to me at the moment. So far they've also been unable to give me any details on an excess/deductible.
I was under the assumption that if it’s your own car you are not insured (unless you have your own insurance) and if it’s their car you are covered in the price you pay. That’s usually the case with any days I’ve been on driving manufacturers cars. Be interesting to find out.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts