McLaren Life banner
481 - 500 of 531 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
lol. State of the art!
On cars now, it takes hours because if you update 1 thing it can break another unless you update that thing, but you also have to do it in a certain order or you can brick the car.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
Reactions: V120DEG
2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
What made you decide to pull the trigger?
Sorry in advance for the long post...

First some context:

Artura will be my 13th mclaren ( i am not marque specific but I do like the mclarens a lot more for how I like to use cars in this price range).

Macs I currently own: P1/Senna/765 spider

Favorite Mclarens: P1 (overall), Senna (track beast which I do quite frequently), 720s overall the g.o.a.t. of all cars below hypercars (sold it about 2 years ago)

Family situation; young children and spouse who do not participate in my hobby

Not involved on business side directly or indirectly in automotive industry

Over 40K combined miles driven in Mclarens

Current use of supercars; putz around in p1 around my city with the average round trip drive of 20 miles, senna (tracking), 765 spider (top down days and putzing around my city with average trip round drive of 20 miles). Closest twisties, canyon is a 120 mile round trip drive to basically drive 20 to 30 miles at slow speeds and dodging bicyclists, stuck behind minivans, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Artura was not on my radar when it was announced. It wasn't on my radar when I attended the test drives. However, I did get a good feeling about the car and how useable it would be (simple things like the lifter button, the display screen adjusting with the steering wheel and not obscuring the view any longer). This gave me some confidence in letting other people drive the car and specifically my wife. You can never be stress free when letting someone drive the other mclarens by themselves (ie; key not detected, not pressing hard enough on the brake to start the car, using the lifter, etc.).

I know quite a few mclaren and supercar owners and discuss what they like, what they don't like and how they go about making decisions (its why I frequently say that this forum does not represent the thoughts/decision making of the typical owner of cars in this price range). I noticed many at the test drives have or had significantly higher priced cars at the moment or in the past and many people who were new to supercars. Pretty much everyone who had the financial means had orders or placed orders at these events (porsche people, ferrari people, lambo owners, aston martin owners and existing mclaren owners and people who had sold out who didn't have anything at the moment and were looking to get back in). The existing mclaren owners were the single car at a time but mainly those who held multiple at a time (720/765/senna/p1_, etc. All these types were putting orders in for the car.

Now; iron5 has posted how he had just purchased a 720 LM in Switzerland. I kept seeing his postings and thought that I should buy one of these. One did get purchased from my dealer a long time ago but the existing owner wasn't willing to sell it. I then started to think about the Artura and the positive experience I had on the test drive and that it would meet my objectives/use of how I wanted to use the supercars gong forward (ie; get my wife involved in the hobby and to use it more like a normal car - road trips, longer drives, etc.).

I was at my dealer yesterday and asked about the Artura and my dealer offered a slot to me and I jumped at it.

as an aside; with what emf posted above; the line is very, very long to get the P1 replacement. Many, many people have significant buying history and the dealer network is fairly settled now in USA and it will be very difficult to get the limited edition cars going forward. Buying additional cars will certainly help in differentiating one from others when it comes to the difficult decisions of who will be getting what in the future.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Sorry in advance for the long post...

First some context:

Artura will be my 13th mclaren ( i am not marque specific but I do like the mclarens a lot more for how I like to use cars in this price range).

Macs I currently own: P1/Senna/765 spider

Favorite Mclarens: P1 (overall), Senna (track beast which I do quite frequently), 720s overall the g.o.a.t. of all cars below hypercars (sold it about 2 years ago)

Family situation; young children and spouse who do not participate in my hobby

Not involved on business side directly or indirectly in automotive industry

Over 40K combined miles driven in Mclarens

Current use of supercars; putz around in p1 around my city with the average round trip drive of 20 miles, senna (tracking), 765 spider (top down days and putzing around my city with average trip round drive of 20 miles). Closest twisties, canyon is a 120 mile round trip drive to basically drive 20 to 30 miles at slow speeds and dodging bicyclists, stuck behind minivans, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Artura was not on my radar when it was announced. It wasn't on my radar when I attended the test drives. However, I did get a good feeling about the car and how useable it would be (simple things like the lifter button, the display screen adjusting with the steering wheel and not obscuring the view any longer). This gave me some confidence in letting other people drive the car and specifically my wife. You can never be stress free when letting someone drive the other mclarens by themselves (ie; key not detected, not pressing hard enough on the brake to start the car, using the lifter, etc.).

I know quite a few mclaren and supercar owners and discuss what they like, what they don't like and how they go about making decisions (its why I frequently say that this forum does not represent the thoughts/decision making of the typical owner of cars in this price range). I noticed many at the test drives have or had significantly higher priced cars at the moment or in the past and many people who were new to supercars. Pretty much everyone who had the financial means had orders or placed orders at these events (porsche people, ferrari people, lambo owners, aston martin owners and existing mclaren owners and people who had sold out who didn't have anything at the moment and were looking to get back in). The existing mclaren owners were the single car at a time but mainly those who held multiple at a time (720/765/senna/p1_, etc. All these types were putting orders in for the car.

Now; iron5 has posted how he had just purchased a 720 LM in Switzerland. I kept seeing his postings and thought that I should buy one of these. One did get purchased from my dealer a long time ago but the existing owner wasn't willing to sell it. I then started to think about the Artura and the positive experience I had on the test drive and that it would meet my objectives/use of how I wanted to use the supercars gong forward (ie; get my wife involved in the hobby and to use it more like a normal car - road trips, longer drives, etc.).

I was at my dealer yesterday and asked about the Artura and my dealer offered a slot to me and I jumped at it.

as an aside; with what emf posted above; the line is very, very long to get the P1 replacement. Many, many people have significant buying history and the dealer network is fairly settled now in USA and it will be very difficult to get the limited edition cars going forward. Buying additional cars will certainly help in differentiating one from others when it comes to the difficult decisions of who will be getting what in the future.
Yep, as a daily driver, it's several steps ahead of the other cars, with the possible exception of the GT. My only complaint was the seats.

481 - 500 of 531 Posts