McLaren Life banner
461 - 480 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
... this just means there are a lot of people in line ahead of you. I don't think "selling a lot of these" is a negative
I absolutely agree, but they won’t be shipping any cars to customers until software is fixed, so even though deposits are down it’s pushing back production even more. They can only build so many cars at once. Unless they’re building the cars and will update the software after they’re built

·
Registered
131 Posts
I absolutely agree, but they won’t be shipping any cars to customers until software is fixed, so even though deposits are down it’s pushing back production even more. They can only build so many cars at once. Unless they’re building the cars and will update the software after they’re built
It appears that this may be the case. I think McLaren is continuing to build cars while it finalizes the software. I heard somewhere that there are completed cars waiting for software updates before they can be shipped. My dealer has repeatedly told me that the current delays will not affect the December delivery of my car. The only way that is accurate is if the May, June, July, and August builds are proceeding as scheduled.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
It appears that this may be the case. I think McLaren is continuing to build cars while it finalizes the software. I heard somewhere that there are completed cars waiting for software updates before they can be shipped. My dealer has repeatedly told me that the current delays will not affect the December delivery of my car. The only way that is accurate is if the May, June, July, and August builds are proceeding as scheduled.
It's not uncommon for manufacturers to build complete vehicles except the missing component if it can be done. Ford did it with ECU's and GM just left out features from certain vehicles. I think at some point (VW maybe?) ran out of wheels and threw whatever wheels on to go into a holding lot till the right ones came in. It would be stupid to not make operating cars waiting on software.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hope that they're building while the software gets worked out. I just know in my specific instance, I have a deposit and no confirmed allocation, which is concerning and weird.

·
Owner
735 Posts
Mine had an FOK date of May 4th, and has been waiting for the software update since. From what I have heard, earliest final software flashes will occur August 15th, 2022 for US customers. Deliveries will start after that. In the meantime, Artura's are continuing to be built.

·
Registered
96 Posts
this is normal for a dealer without an allocation available to give.
this being my first Mac makes everything seem off as it’s not what I’m used to. Also we’re in super weird times for cars in general. Also this is a new-new car. Also I found it weird because my dealer is fairly high volume

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
11 hours per car to do the software updates .

·
Registered
96 Posts
11 hours per car to do the software updates .
Is that confirmed through a dealer or…what? Is there one computer that plugs in and does this or is it over the air? Could be extremely time consuming if it’s one at a time, or trivial if it doesn’t require a person to load it in and auto updates over the air.

grand scheme of things 11 hours per car isn’t much

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Is that confirmed through a dealer or…what? Is there one computer that plugs in and does this or is it over the air? Could be extremely time consuming if it’s one at a time, or trivial if it doesn’t require a person to load it in and auto updates over the air.

grand scheme of things 11 hours per car isn’t much
my dealer told me this last week . I didn’t ask much questions as I don’t have an order on artura but that’s what he told me .

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
this being my first Mac makes everything seem off as it’s not what I’m used to. Also we’re in super weird times for cars in general. Also this is a new-new car. Also I found it weird because my dealer is fairly high volume
high volume = large existing client base. Cuts both ways. Probably has (a lot) more pull with the national reps, but also more customers need attention. Your a fish of size X, and what’s changing is the size of the pond. But also the amount of rain the pond gets ….

·
Owner
735 Posts
I think VINs are assigned when the tub is baked. I wouldn’t be shocked if a lot of customers have VIN information and nowhere near a clear delivery date.
I have had my VIN number since at least April. My car has been completed since May.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The only smidgen of intel I got yesterday from someone who should be very well positioned to know, is that there are numerous minor software glitches that they're working through. He said they're all trivial things like the old window up/down thing.

461 - 480 of 531 Posts