McLaren Life banner
381 - 400 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
When do US deliveries begin? Still don't see an EPA rating yet (at least up on the website, maybe something has been filed or whatever they do)
I was told end of July early August if everything continues to go as planned. Most dealers are conducting promo events and driving events this month and next month.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What’s scary for Mclaren is people are obsessed with the new MC20 and the reviews of the 296 are stellar. They can’t afford to screw this up. This car needs to be fun to drive and feel exciting because it’s ultimately their “sports car” entry level model. Sounds like they totally missed that part. Damn.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
468 Posts
I think the reviews are generally pretty good except for the track day incident/oil cooler. Not cool.

Let’s be honest...McLaren has terrible marketing. They build incredible cars but have no idea how to market them. 600LT and Elva were horrendously marketed. Both great cars though.

·
Registered
823 Posts
"Yet this livability is a blessing and a curse. McLarens have become far more passionate in behavior and appearance since the MP4-12C kicked off the company's contemporary incarnation in 2011. That car was condemned for its prosaic looks and underwhelmingly engaging engine. And in some ways, the Artura feels like a return to these quotidian foundations. Sure it's quick, and immediately recognizable as an exotic—it has intake strakes and flying buttresses—but it doesn't necessarily feel, sound, or look fast. The engine susurrates, and gains revs, without ever erupting. The transmission delivers quick shifts, without ever snapping necks. And, in profile, the Artura resembles a Ferrari F430 attempting to escape from the mouth of a Noble M400 that was swallowed by a Lexus SC430—an automotive turducken. Intriguing? Yes. Exciting? Not really."

You're reading it with rose colored glasses, I guess. They never once wrote single superlative. They liked the ride comfort. The handling felt good. No wow's. Oh my God's. etc.

Other than that, they seemed pretty underwhelmed.

I'll test drive it. I'm genuinely curious to see what the car is like. But reviews not looking great. Which is bad, I love Mclaren.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
That feels like attention grabbing which isn’t reflected in the main article body, that and trying to compare top of the line with entry level isn’t really fair.
Right. More than half of what they say is just waffle to fill the silence. It's clear that driving it feels just like every other McLaren, it has the witchcraft.

·
Registered
246 Posts
"snip..
The engine susurrates, and gains revs, without ever erupting. The transmission delivers quick shifts, without ever snapping necks.
snip...
Intriguing? Yes. Exciting? Not really."

You're reading it with rose colored glasses, I guess. They never once wrote single superlative. They liked the ride comfort. The handling felt good. No wow's. Oh my God's. etc.
I actually read that as McLaren achieved what we're looking for, smooth power delivery through out the range with torque fill from the electric motor, so no you don't get the snaps / eruption but that's by design.

Which I prefer I don't know, but will definitely test drive and see what it feels like to me :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Houston location makes sense because dealers are driving demo cars at Texas Motor Speedway next week.
"isn't as engaging" in the headline. "Intriguing, yes. Exciting, not really". "It doesn't necessarily feel, sound, or look fast"......
That feels like attention grabbing which isn’t reflected in the main article body, that and trying to compare top of the line with entry level isn’t really fair.
Right. More than half of what they say is just waffle to fill the silence. It's clear that driving it feels just like every other McLaren, it has the witchcraft.
There are certain cars I never wanted bc they were known to be unengaging - R35 GTR is a great example.

I've only ever driven one Mclaren in my lifetime after a couple decades of Porsche and BMW tools on track days. That's the P1, which I was fortunate to take for hot laps at Button Willow Raceway.

The Artura on paper is the car most similar to the P1. I'm eager to take a spirited test drive and make my own impression of the car. I'm not discouraged at all from the reviews so far.

The Artura is not 100% reliable yet - I'm not looking for a Civic and if it gets hot in the dead of summer on a almost 4 mile race track - I wouldn't be surprised. Over the years nothing survives summer Texas track days that wasn't made by Porsche. Ferrari, Lambo, Mclaren, Lotus - most are trailered to the events bc the owners don't trust the car to survive the event to commute to and from the track.

The lack of engagement or thrill is also likely related to why the reviewers see this supercar as daily driver worthy - a quality not a detriment. This is also why the ADM's on 992turbo S cars is near 100k in the US.

I hope to get a test drive in this weekend. Will give an honest impression here if anyone is interested

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The general gist from the 3 or 4 I watched/read was that it's quiet and boring at lower speeds on the road and comes alive when pushing and on the track. That seems to me like close to the perfect recipe. No doubt there are future variations to come which will be lighter, more raw, and more track-focused, but that will be at the expense of daily road use performance.

381 - 400 of 424 Posts