McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 1117 Posts

· Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If McLaren were ‘banking’ on shipping/selling 400-500 Artura in Q4 2021 then Walsh is now looking for another source for money …
WAG - McLaren has attempted to develop the Artura control software in-house??

· Registered
25 Posts
me thinks you are a couple of years late, Mclaren was in a lot of trouble, But the new chairman, Paul Walsh, has done a very good job of righting the ship. initially shoring up the finances, properly strengthening the balance sheet, getting rid of excess inventory. It is now time to focus on operational issues, sorting out quality problems, getting the cars out there and in general fixing things. For that you will need a new management, and that has pretty much happened.

Personally i'd much rather have the Artura delayed by another 6-12 months if that is what it takes to get it right than them releasing something that doesnt work (again)
Is this scenario similar to when the 570s came out? Seems from reading old posts that there were many long delays before any deliveries....

im wondering if no information on the Artura these last few months is an expected thing or signs of problems...

· Registered
5,032 Posts
they did not learn from their mistakes
No communication No information
I’m disappointed
The good news is the CEO is being replaced. The CEO sets the measuring sticks and thus behaviour......build integrity didn't make the list. The internal employees are aware of the build issues but have been thwarted by the CEO's lack of leadership on that issue. The Atura has a tested and proven engine, plus the battery system and motor but the control software has been their challenge. It's on its way sometime in the future!

· Registered
5,032 Posts
lets hope so, not sure i agree on the tested and proven engine, isnt it a new internal design. first time mclaren has built their own engine ever...
I an ss much it's done x million miles/hours.......no major component failures and oilways sound. As we know full engine production can cause problems if components/assembly varies from the mules but that is very rare....but can happen, ahhhhhhhhhhhh

· Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
It appears that Flewitt kept the production line running (consuming $) in a gamble (pity didn’t pan out) that the software problem would be solved in time to ship the cars before year end. Now the money has run out and the company is stuck with cars in an unsalable state and has to find bridge financing again ….

( Oh well sell the remainder of F1 to Andretti? :) … )

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Thought Artura V6 engine is being built by Ricardo?
i was under the impression the Artura V6 was mclarens first internally developed engine, while the M838 and M840 where built by Ricardo.
could be wrong.
it will be exciting to see whta Mclaren will do over the next 5 years when the geniuses that do the actual work will be under new management

· Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i was under the impression the Artura V6 was mclarens first internally developed engine, while the M838 and M840 where built by Ricardo.
could be wrong.
it will be exciting to see whta Mclaren will do over the next 5 years when the geniuses that do the actual work will be under new management
Yes kinda. - from MotorSport “a 3-litre V6 engine designed from scratch by McLaren. It will however to continue to be assembled by Ricardo”
Not sure where McLaren got the experience to ‘design from scratch’ but ….. Ricardo would be a good partner :)

· Registered
5,655 Posts

· Registered
3,047 Posts
It appears that Flewitt kept the production line running (consuming $) in a gamble (pity didn’t pan out) that the software problem would be solved in time to ship the cars before year end. Now the money has run out and the company is stuck with cars in an unsalable state and has to find bridge financing again ….

( Oh well sell the remainder of F1 to Andretti? :) … )
oh wow crazy

· Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Check out the Maserati MC20 engine and the Ferrari 296GTB both are120Degree V6’s, designed and built in their respective factories, they are very similar ICE motors to the McLaren Artura V6.
There is not much published on the head design of the McLaren/Ricardo V6 so I’m not sure whether the design includes an pre chamber ignition.

My earlier quote was from Andrew Frankel well known in UK.

· Registered
5,655 Posts
I must admit, the entire package is a pretty convincing upgrade from the existing entry level. OTA software updates, numerous systems which should eliminate turbo lag, lighter carbon tech, fully electric supermarket runs, and performance that sounds as if it might be pretty close to the current 720. The scary side of it is just how many brand new systems & technologies are included, which I'm guessing is at least one of the reasons for the delays.

· Registered
5,655 Posts
Well I was just connecting dots … don’t take it as gospel

We know at least 310 Artura’s have been built - saw that on the video. We also know shipment has been delayed again, and we know Mike Flewitt resigned …. 😇
Not to worry, there are plenty of contributors whose word is absolutely gospel and will no doubt be along shortly to correct you in their usual vague and condescending fashion!

21 - 40 of 1117 Posts