McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying with the idea of a 918 for fun and as collection. I've spoken with two dealers so far and both said MSRP or no deal. Somebody contacted me and said they could hook me up with a dealer who would provide a better deal then MSRP on a 918 but then went dark. Not sure if he was serious.

Does anyone know if any dealers here in the USA are willing to (or have already sold) come down off MSRP on the 918? I think with the number of units depreciation is likely to occur in the first couple years and any break off MSRP will at least cushion some of that. PM me privately if you need to maintain any confidentiality. I live in the Northeast US but I'm sure any dealer would ship. I also understand dealers have allocation for whatever they get orders for and not limited per dealer.

It's a gorgeous car and with no invitation to purchase a LaFerrari and with P1 now sold out not to mention 50% more than the 918 it leaves only the 918 if one wants to enjoy one of the cutting edge hypercars.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I heard dealer commissions are fixed and factory requires msrp so prices can't be discounted. Just do it or wait and see what happens on the second hand market.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 918 on order, only one from my dealer. In their eagerness to sell me the 918 and show me their info first hand as they received them from Porsche, the sales manager accidentally showed me HIS cost of a 918. Their profit is surprisingly small for such a expensive car. They only make slightly more than 40k on the list price of the 918. The option invoice prices are also almost at list.

But if you buy one, you can be assured that you are getting the most bang for your money. It's wildly speculated that Porsche is barely breaking even on the 918 even at list price, while McLaren's profit margin on a P1, depending on who you asked, could top as much as 50% of the list price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 918 on order, only one from my dealer. In their eagerness to sell me the 918 and show me their info first hand as they received them from Porsche, the sales manager accidentally showed me HIS cost of a 918. Their profit is surprisingly small for such a expensive car. They only make slightly more than 40k on the list price of the 918. The option invoice prices are also almost at list.

But if you buy one, you can be assured that you are getting the most bang for your money. It's wildly speculated that Porsche is barely breaking even on the 918 even at list price, while McLaren's profit margin on a P1, depending on who you asked, could top as much as 50% of the list price.
One of the dealers I spoke with told me their profit was not that big and just around that 40k mark too but wasn't sure if he was just telling me that to hold price. I guess it was true after all.

I agree the 918 is a lot of bang for the buck. Congrats on your 918 order too. What color and options did you go for? Did you do any of the liquid metal paints or the magnesium rims? Weissach package?

·
Registered
424 Posts
No Weissach pack, as everything it deletes I will add back on, and I didn't like the rear aero winglets as they ruins the beautiful lines of the 918.

Black interior with acid green piping, carbon interior, and either basalt black outside or dark blue metallic. Pairing with the platinum satin finish wheels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Weissach pack, as everything it deletes I will add back on, and I didn't like the rear aero winglets as they ruins the beautiful lines of the 918.

Black interior with acid green piping, carbon interior, and either basalt black outside or dark blue metallic. Pairing with the platinum satin finish wheels.
Nice options there. I agree on the rear aero winglets. Might like that better if I was in my teens or 20's. The non weissach lines definitely cleaner.

Did you skip the Magnesium rims due to the insane 32k price for the option or just like the look of the platinum satin finish wheels better? The magnesium takes quite a bit off the unsprung weight. The downside is....the initial cost...and the replacement cost if you hit a pothole or something.

·
Registered
424 Posts
One was for the cost, the other reason is that not many people are ordering the satin finish wheels and the satin finish suits a dark color car better.

Also, all the exterior carbon bits that comes with the Weissach pack would disappeared in a black car.

As for the 2 liquid metal colors, I have seen it in person under a few lighting conditions, it's still doesn't give me the 'pop' factor and I can't understand the extra cost at all.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
When I specd a 918 in the us with goofy weisach and liquid metal price was over 1m which was about 250 too high imo.

·
Registered
223 Posts
after seeing what the P1 can do, the 918 started to look like a VW EOS in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Nice options there. I agree on the rear aero winglets. Might like that better if I was in my teens or 20's. The non weissach lines definitely cleaner.

Did you skip the Magnesium rims due to the insane 32k price for the option or just like the look of the platinum satin finish wheels better? The magnesium takes quite a bit off the unsprung weight. The downside is....the initial cost...and the replacement cost if you hit a pothole or something.
You don't have to have all the Weisssach Pk, you can have some parts only...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Of course No

In China, 25% off dicount.

BTW, Ferrari is still trying to sell last 2 laferrari at msrp in China market.

And you did not need to have any other ferrari. If you have the money, China dealer will help you prepare any necessary document.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
You are right then we wait for the top gear review. I met someone in Dubai who ordered a 918, it will be more a garage queen IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts