McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a list of alternate approved fluids besides those listed in the manual? Specifically, what oils other than Mobil 1are approved?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Is there a list of alternate approved fluids besides those listed in the manual? Specifically, what oils other than Mobil 1are approved?
Not sure if there are any,they have done alot of work with Mobil1 thats why its approved,any reason why you want to change??:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would stick with Mobil 1. Not much else better in the synthetic oil department, and I am in the oil business.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent a note off to Woking to get clarification on the fluids issues. I am still waiting for a response. DOT 5.1 is a very low viscosity fluid with no high temperature products available at this time. The specified fluid is not even available for purchase in the US. The same is true for the coolant specified and no alternate oils are listed. Mercedes has changed their oil recommendation for use in the 6.2 L AMG. There have been reports of valve train failures with the 0W40 Mobil 1. MB switched to a different recommended grade Mobil 1. Mercedes also lists many other approved oils and dealers that I am familiar with are now using a Valvoline product that provides superior high pressure lubrication for the flat tappet type cam buckets in the AMG engine.

I will let you all know when I get a response from McLaren.

Lou

·
Owner
893 Posts
nielsll,
I have to assume that a coolant that is rated G12 ++, which is usually purple, would conform to the McLaren specs. It is the latest version of the OAT (organic acid technology) coolants.
However, wait for McLaren to get back to you, for certain. (coolant-wise).
:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant specified in my manual is Mobil Antifreeze Extra which is a G48 formulation only available in the UK. In comparison, Mercedes lists numerous G48 formulations that are approved under their spec. 325.0 and while many are approved, they should not be mixed.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I sent a note off to Woking to get clarification on the fluids issues. I am still waiting for a response. DOT 5.1 is a very low viscosity fluid with no high temperature products available at this time. The specified fluid is not even available for purchase in the US. The same is true for the coolant specified and no alternate oils are listed. Mercedes has changed their oil recommendation for use in the 6.2 L AMG. There have been reports of valve train failures with the 0W40 Mobil 1. MB switched to a different recommended grade Mobil 1. Mercedes also lists many other approved oils and dealers that I am familiar with are now using a Valvoline product that provides superior high pressure lubrication for the flat tappet type cam buckets in the AMG engine.

I will let you all know when I get a response from McLaren.

Lou
nielsll wouldn't these products be readily available from your dealership. Of course they will probably be charging you a premium, such is life of owning a car of this stature. Cheers.......??

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Anyone tried Duckhams 30-50 ?

I like the green colour .

·
Owner
893 Posts
nielsll,
If G48 coolant is what our cars are supposed to use:
Here is what I found ....... Motorex (Swiss company) makes this G48 coolant available for the U.S. market. It comes 'ready-mixed' and is sold by a few online places in the USA. The link below has it for about $15/liter (plus shipping).
Once you get a definite confirmation the G48 is the correct stuff, I'm going to order some from the site below (the stealership would probably charge us $100 bucks).
http://4wheelonline.com/atv/LOWEST_PRICES_on_Antifreeze.216619.1461402

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
nielsll,
Here is what I found ....... Motorex (Swiss company) makes this G48 coolant available for the U.S. market. It comes 'ready-mixed' and is sold by a few online places in the USA. The link below has it for about $15/liter (plus shipping).
Once you get a definite confirmation the G48 is the correct stuff, I'm going to order some from the site below (the stealership would probably charge us $100 bucks).
Well LimeyBloke I'm hoping to get a response back from my buddies at Pfaff. Although I'm under the impression they are getting fed up of me pestering them, so keep your fingers crossed. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
nielsll,
Well I got the answer from Pfaff and boy oh boy it sure isn't any generic brand. Here's what it looks like in person for anyone who's interested. Cheers.....??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363724136.226021.jpg

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ken,
Are you sure ????
That photo (CHF 202) is of Pentosin's hydraulic fluid !!
Well LimeyBloke, you are on the ball and completely correct in your assumption, what they sent me was indeed a picture of hydraulic fluid. Boy oh boy do I ever look and feel like a idiot, that said they have stated that they use a Mobil 1 product. Cheers....??

·
Owner
893 Posts
Well LimeyBloke, you are on the ball and completely correct in your assumption, what they sent me was indeed a picture of hydraulic fluid. Boy oh boy do I ever look and feel like a idiot, that said they have stated that they use a Mobil 1 product. Cheers....??
Just check out the link I posted (#10) above (Motorex G48 AntiFreeze). Once neilsll gets his factory confirmation (don't hold your breath, neilsll:eek:) ..... that's what I am going to order, to keep on hand, for topping up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the response from McLaren.

Dear Mr. Nielsen,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble sourcing the fluids. Unfortunately our technical team are unable to recommend anything other than what is in the owner manual. However, the North American retailers should be equipped to source them for you or to direct you to local stockists, so I recommend that you phone your nearest dealership, and they will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Caroline

1 - 20 of 20 Posts