1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robb Report
Basem Wasef
Wed, August 3, 2022
The auto industry’s most controversial new car feature isn’t a self-driving system or a form of electrification. The hot topic these days is CarPlay—yes, the familiar interface that insidiously wormed its way into the hearts and minds of drivers everywhere since its introduction at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show.

The plug-and-play platform has become so ubiquitous that it’s now equipped on 98 percent of new cars sold in the US. More compellingly, 79 percent of American car buyers consider it a must-have when shopping for their next ride, according to Apple’s Emily Schubert. That critical metric has endowed Apple with loads of leverage when it comes to negotiating with automakers, and the next generation of CarPlay announced in June is so potentially groundbreaking it’s threatened to upend the relationship between car companies and the Cupertino-based consumer electronics juggernaut.

The issue at hand begins with the next-gen CarPlay’s extreme integration. Rather than embedding a simplified iPhone mirror into a centrally positioned multimedia touchscreen, the revamped interface takes over all interior displays, including the instrument panel and related gauges, along with ancillary items like air conditioning controls. The move is significant not only because of its unprecedented takeover of a vehicle’s pre-existing architecture, but because it has the potential to create significant financial upside for Apple.

Already teased at a recent Apple developer conference is a feature that enables CarPlay to navigate to a gas station and pay for the fill-up. The idea isn’t new; according to Car & Driver, GM attempted the trick as early as 2017, but later abandoned it. But the sense in the industry is that Apple’s longstanding ability to take a significant challenge and create an elegant and intuitive solution means that this time round it’s more likely to gain rapid, widespread acceptance.

Which explains why carmakers are feeling more threatened than ever by the idea of handing over their user experience to a savvy outsider. As Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives explained to Marketplace.org, “Auto is a massive industry for Apple because it’s just a further expansion of its ecosystem. Its goal is to be more and more entrenched in consumers’ life.” Monetizing gas station tip-offs is the tip of the iceberg; CarPlay’s integration of apps for everything from parking spot finders to EV charger locators suggests the monetized possibilities are endless.

While some marques have resisted implementing CarPlay (we’re looking at you, Rivian and Tesla), the vast majority of carmakers must now decide if they’re willing to cede so much control to Silicon Valley. The scale of implementation is staggering—and already has a considerable consumer foothold, unlike the much-rumored Apple Car. As analyst Horace Dediu told Reuters, “Forget about the Apple Car—Apple CarPlay is a bigger deal. It’s very likely to scale to millions and millions of cars, if not hundreds of millions.”

Some manufacturers say they’re working with Apple on the next-gen system, but CNBC suggests many might be hesitant to take this next giant leap forward. Perhaps the most telling observation comes from AutoForecast Solutions analyst Conrad Layson, who says “It’s a really difficult time in the industry, where the car companies think they’re still building cars. They’re not. They’re building software on wheels, and they don’t know it, and they’re trading it away.”

·
Registered
33 Posts
The OEMs ceded the user experience a long time ago - look at the penetration of Android Auto, the cluster/HVAC controls are a commodity item. The OEM are competing mostly where they always have chassis and powertrain (EV/battery technology) and add to that now automated driving

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
337 Posts
This is exactly the sort of reason why I've never owned an Apple product, and never will. They're a monopoly with proprietary software.
And it goes waaaaay beyond that! They lock everyone out of dealing with/repairing their sh1t! Forcing you to deal with them and only them!
Automotive lighting Gas Font Flash photography Electric blue

I have experienced firsthand that they not only prevent you from getting parts and forcing you to send it to them, only for them to tell you that it is NOT repairable... When IN FACT it is! :mad:

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider
547 Posts
Well, I hate Apple, but I still reluctantly use 'em. Years ago those bastards refused to replace the 20-pin connector on my iPod just 'cos it was OLD in spite of the fact that they were still using that connector on other products, had it in stock, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hate the following regularly occurring Apple Car Play scenario: I am listing to Sirius radio when I receive a call on my iPhone plugged into my car. After completing the call, Apple Car Play overrides the pre-existing audio source selection and automatically switches to Apple Music through my iPhone (I have no music loaded in my iPhone, so the switch results in silence). In exchange for the privilege of making hands free calls while driving, the iPhone literally hijacks your audio source. Thus, at the conclusion of most calls, I must pull up the audio source menu and switch back to Sirius radio or my thumb drive loaded with music. I have spoken with Apple and there apparently is no way to prevent the foregoing. This is intrusive enough. I would not be pleased with additional forced changes to my car's interface that I must manually unwind.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And it goes waaaaay beyond that! They lock everyone out of dealing with/repairing their sh1t! Forcing you to deal with them and only them! View attachment 222009

I have experienced firsthand that they not only prevent you from getting parts and forcing you to send it to them, only for them to tell you that it is NOT repairable... When IN FACT it is! :mad:
Is this any use?

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
337 Posts
Is this any use?
Well, luckily, I no longer HAVE to deal with their products (work related)... And they only started that, after they got caught lying to customers about their products not being repairable!! :rolleyes: Not a company I want anything to do with....

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,416 Posts
This is exactly the sort of reason why I've never owned an Apple product, and never will. They're a monopoly with proprietary software.
They are not a monopoly, at least not in most of the world, and if anything android is the monopoly. You need more than 50% marketshare to be a monopoly. (So they may be a monopoly in Japan). I didn't by the 720 because mclaren didnt live up to their promise of car play. I also refuse to get any car that does not have car play.

THAT said, I'm not sure if I were a car maker, that I'd cede more than the infotainment space to Apple. While I personally might think that's cool from a geek perspective, there are a lot more problems once you get there. You get a glitch on the tach/speedo, tire temps etc. in the dash proper, it becomes a fast game of 'they went that'a way' with regard to who is responsible/liable.

Also, strategically, seems like it's just disintermediating the manufacturer, and they'd be dumb to fall for that trap. Arguably, all their infotainment systems were such heinous crap, that there was little to disitnermediate before because people would literally prefer not to use the systems or just plug their iPod into the system to ignore the crap systems, but this goes more to the heart of the car IMO. Furthermore, they ended up outsourcing most of their infotainment systems to some android crap middle wear provider (much like McLaren did) anyway.

Regardless, it starts to really eat away the look and feel of the manufacturer once everything becomes apple fruit'y inside the car.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
They are not a monopoly, at least not in most of the world, and if anything android is the monopoly. You need more than 50% marketshare to be a monopoly. (So they may be a monopoly in Japan). I didn't by the 720 because mclaren didnt live up to their promise of car play. I also refuse to get any car that does not have car play.

THAT said, I'm not sure if I were a car maker, that I'd cede more than the infotainment space to Apple. While I personally might think that's cool from a geek perspective, there are a lot more problems once you get there. You get a glitch on the tach/speedo, tire temps etc. in the dash proper, it becomes a fast game of 'they went that'a way' with regard to who is responsible/liable.

Also, strategically, seems like it's just disintermediating the manufacturer, and they'd be dumb to fall for that trap. Arguably, all their infotainment systems were such heinous crap, that there was little to disitnermediate before because people would literally prefer not to use the systems or just plug their iPod into the system to ignore the crap systems, but this goes more to the heart of the car IMO. Furthermore, they ended up outsourcing most of their infotainment systems to some android crap middle wear provider (much like McLaren did) anyway.

Regardless, it starts to really eat away the look and feel of the manufacturer once everything becomes apple fruit'y inside the car.
Apple have > 50% market share in the US. Android is an open source operating system, separate from the hardware.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,416 Posts
Apple have > 50% market share in the US. Android is an open source operating system, separate from the hardware.
No, they don't have 50% of the market. They had I think 2 quarters recently where they broke 50%, not the last one. But overall market doesnt go by last quarter sales. It is a much more, both, technical and organic thing. And there is zero doubt that android has more than 50% marketshare overall, per year, and over many years of base. You can take it for what it's worth (some rando's rantings on the internet) with regard to the antitrust litigations I was tangentially part of. That is one of the reasons, IMO, why congress is looking to pass new antitrust laws because they know the old ones cannot do squat with apple's current market position based on current Sherman Clayton/antitrust case/laws.

That android is open source is not in debate. And that it's separate is irrelevant to the measure of the relevant market. Android phones hold a greater percentage of the market than apple phones. Full stop in the US and most of the world (minus Japan, that seems to love iPhones a lot more).

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,416 Posts
They've been at 50% recently, but that's down from where it was. Open source is a huge thing, it means that every system is different from a monopoly perspective.
I take it back. I was wrong and you're right. Apparently I haven't been paying attention in the US market. So globally they haven't been close:

Counterpoint Research Global Smartphone Market Q1 2022

But apparently they've been at 50+% in the US basically since around 2013! So you are correct, they do have monopoly power.
Light Product Azure Rectangle Font

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I take it back. I was wrong and you're right. Apparently I haven't been paying attention in the US market. So globally they haven't been close:

Counterpoint Research Global Smartphone Market Q1 2022

But apparently they've been at 50+% in the US basically since around 2013! So you are correct, they do have monopoly power.
View attachment 222024

There are a bunch of other more technical reasons, too. Android is not monolithic, if you look at it by manufacturer, nobody has a significant market share other than Apple.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,416 Posts
There are a bunch of other more technical reasons, too. Android is not monolithic, if you look at it by manufacturer, nobody has a significant market share other than Apple.
That's not enough under Sherman Clayton. For example, if there were 3 players, and one had 34%, and the other 2, had 33% each, the 34% player would not be a monopoly despite being the market leader. Regardless, they have market dominance and are a monopoly, in the US.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts