McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all month of september off and wanted to do an amazing road trip. Starting in Illinois, i want to got to the Appalachian trail and drive through some pretty and scenic roadways. Take my wife who is from Costa Rica to see more of the United States.
I have never been through areas like Virginia, Carolinas, and think it would be great to take the 675lt.
ANyone have a recommendation? Stops along the way in some cute small towns. I want to avoid large cities and not stress about where we go. Just a pure driving experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One road to venture on is the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. It end right in Cherokee, NC and US441 through the Smoky Mountain National Park into Gatlinburg, TN is enjoyable. And well, the Tail of the Dragon is always a nice option too!

The AT does pass through Hot Springs, NC. Brevard, Highlands, and Cashiers might be some towns to check out as well. US64 from Franklin, NC to Brevard is another road I like to drive. Burnsville, NC is close to Mount Mitchell - the highest point in the US east of the Mississippi River - and is along the Blue Ridge Parkway as well.

Galax, VA was a neat little town. And the "Back of the Dragon" in VA was a nice drive.

Also on Sept 24th, there is a British Car show in Mills River, NC - there are already 3 Macs registered to they should have a category for judging and awards. Sept 24, 2022 - Autumn in the Mountains - Western NC

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
You're talking about my neck of the woods, yo! I know the fantastic roads around Asheville NC and upstate SC. If you give me some dates I can block off my schedule and we can ride some roads together.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're talking about my neck of the woods, yo! I know the fantastic roads around Asheville NC and upstate SC. If you give me some dates I can block off my schedule and we can ride some roads together.
Thinking mid september

i think this would be epic if you could guide us through this area.
I will reach out ina week to and we can plan this.

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
They have a driving section as well as hiking.
I'm curious what they say about the driving. Sometimes the popular roads aren't the best roads because they're popular and therefore, busy. Or there is also the Blueridge Parkway with a 35 MPH speed limit that can become frustrating.

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
hey now, most of the parkway north and south of Asheville is 45 MPH... just a few sections near the "commuter stretch" near Asheville and Pisgah Inn/Campground (in the parts i'm more familiar with) that are 35 MPH =D
Those parts are equally as frustrating sometimes LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 20b_fd3s

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious what they say about the driving. Sometimes the popular roads aren't the best roads because they're popular and therefore, busy. Or there is also the Blueridge Parkway with a 35 MPH speed limit that can become frustrating.
Basically we are reading about the towns and getting ideas. From town to town I can ask what your ideas are on roads

·
Registered
97 Posts
Greetings....

Find things of interest and simply connect the dots.

A few things to note when driving in that part of our great country (Smoky mountain area), especially as a first timer..... there are so many roads you can/will drive that will demand your attention and satisfy your driving experience. Grant it, there are some that will scratch it more than others :). My suggestion for visits depending on your time. Coming from Illinois, maybe head in the direction of Grandfather mountain and work counter clockwise. Hit Grandfather Mountain area then to Little Switzerland (Home of Diamond Back & Devils whip). Diamondback 226 – Motorcycle and Sportcar Touring Routes near Little Switzerland and Blue Ridge Parkway North Carolina ,

You will hit the Blueridge parkway along the route heading South to Chimney Rock. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice scenic road, but after about 45 min (Unless you're stopping to look, etc.) you will want to jump off. As mentioned above, the speed limit of 35-40 MPH and is enforced heavily. Chimney Rock is a nice little town to visit / stay for a night. Then you have the Biltmore which is close and a nice visit. That's 1/2 day visit. From there, you can head towards Bryson City (Via 276 ...> Penrose - Waynesville)

Again... the roads leading to and from these locations will keep you entertained.

From there you can rendezvous to Cherokee or Bryson Cit for the night. Suggest you get a good night's rest for the next portion of my suggestion... you will need it:

Bryson to Cherohala Skyway to Deals Gap to Cherokee over the Smoky Mountain to Gatlinburg.
Cherohala Skyway – Mile High Legend – Robbinsville North Carolin to Tellico Plains Tennessee
Foothills Parkway TN – US 129 to Wears Valley TN

Again... So much to see and so many roads to drive in that area. Obviously, the time of week will determine the amount of traffic. Just be sure to pack an extra tin of PATIENCE.

If you have time, Helen, GA is a nice little town to stop and there's a lot of driving in that area.

Escape to Brasstown Bald | Official Georgia Tourism & Travel Website | Explore Georgia.org

September is a good time as it's right before the PEAK season.

Good luck and enjoy! Again... there is no BAD Route. Just stay off the interstates as much as possible and enjoy.

I almost forgot!
DevilsTriangleTN ~ Rugged, Hostile, Unforgiving – Two lane adventure – Brushy Mountain State Pen – Oliver Springs TN

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out this trip took way too much planning and I just did not have the time.
We made it into a destination trip to Louisville and surrounding areas.
Took in Churchill downs and tomorrow the bourbon trail. So far this trip is a winner with a killer sunrise and a historic home/ bed and breakfast for accommodations.
Plant Sky Cloud World Building

Cloud Sky Plant Daytime Tree

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Sky Cloud Vehicle Plant Speedometer

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,794 Posts
I think the trick is to not over think it or plan much. The roads people “know” are all ruined imo Because too many people. I traced so many roads I’ll never even find again and so many were beautiful marvels. Part of the fun for me is just the exploration in and to places less traveled. As always, ymmv.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, I overthought it and gave up
My wife is from Costa Rica and every time we go to CR, she shows me some place different.
We started this tradition here and kentucky was far enough away, yet close enough, and different enough, and charming enough

2012 MP4-12C
2,965 Posts
Parking with your lift up! o_O I thought of you today as I ripped some back roads back from autocross. I also got stuck behind people doing 15 MPH around turns, and a tractor doing 20 MPH, and a line of 5 cars going 45 in a 55 which I finally got a passing lane and passed them doing 145. So you know, fun.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Parking with your lift up! o_O I thought of you today as I ripped some back roads back from autocross. I also got stuck behind people doing 15 MPH around turns, and a tractor doing 20 MPH, and a line of 5 cars going 45 in a 55 which I finally got a passing lane and passed them doing 145. So you know, fun.
I pulled around back and the mansion parking was sketchy and required the lift. I forgot to lower it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts